Getz CRDi - Ownership Report (First GETZ CRDI in TAI)

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
Hello folks here is my ownership review of my beloved Zippy. I have been longing to write this for ages and being off from work today what better to do then write this :)

Part 1- Choosing the car and taking delivery

It all started in June 2009 when I started looking out for a new car. I had a Maruti 800(Trustworthy and gave me 60k kms of pure joy and no headache whatsoever) and a Tata Sierra(Tried to ‘possess’ it but I relinquished it in just 4 months as it turned out to be very impractical to me)

So with the M800 gone in April, I started my lookout for a good car. I always was inclined to have a real powerful beast and at that time I was very inclined to get a good secondhand Opel Corsa which was a real mean machine with great power awesome handling. Read - Achtung Baby !

My gut feeling was not to go for it as 1. Discontinued and 2. Very high maintenance costs.

So me and my better half decided we will go for a brand new car lets start checking out new cars and test drive our options.

So on a Saturday morning me and my wife set-up with a mission to finalize and book our car.I had done some reading and enquiries and we figured out 3 cars.Color decided was Black.

In order of priority

1. Hyundai i10 Sportz
2. Tata Indica Vista - Diesel
3. Swift VDI

So first off we went into Kun Hyundai (ECIL Branch Hyderabad), the showroom was spik and span and I was greeted well by a young lady Rekha. She was very thorough with the cars and I went straight to check out the i10 Sportz. I was told about everything and I wanted to do a test drive and the showroom had a grey model. Asked the Wife to sit in the drivers seat and wow ! It suited her really well :)

So Rekha, arranged for a test drive vehicle but I was reluctant to drive the Yellow car, and I wanted to see the Black i10 Sportz. Rekha was kind enough to take us to the stock yard which was half a km away and there were 100’s of cars in the yard and we finally saw the i10 Sportz variant.

I opened the door and I was like yuck what the !!

Beige Interiors with Red. I did not like it one bit and Wife says dun worry, we’ll change the seat covers. I pointed out the Dash and the door pads which was also beige and red. I asked Rekha can I see something in not red ? And it was mentioned that all Sportz variants come with Beige and Red including the Dash. I was heart broken and I told wifey we will not take it :(

So we thanked Rekha for all the time she took out for us and we bid goodbye even though she mentioned about the i20 variant. I felt it was too expensive at that time as we were mentally prepared to only check the 3 cars we shortlisted and stick to it.

So Next up Detroit Morors - Tata Showroom ECIL Branch (2 mins walk away from Kun Hyundai)

I walk into the showroom and we felt lonely. No front reception (Might have stepped out), then hidden behind a small cubicle was what appeared to be a ‘Sales Man’ with earphones plugged in and deeply into his mobile phone.

So , we did not want to disturb him and we looked at an Indica and there was a Vista (Black Quadrajet). We opened the door an dit looked awesome except that I felt the odo was out of place but nevertheless we knew about it so sat in it and held the steering imagining im on the road haha.

Ok, looks good feels good now we need to wake the salesperson up. I walk up to him.

“Hi, I’m considering the Vista is that a Diesel one ?”

One Earphone comes out and he replies “Yaaa I think so.” I knew he would be of no help and just before I lost my cool, one chap comes up and gives the much delayed “How can I help?” So, already frustrated with this attitude, I was brief and said I would like to check the Vista out.

So he says we can test the car in the garage which is behind the showroon. I was puzzled when he said ‘test’. So we walked and there was this bright orange Vista which looke good and he gave me the keys. And we sat in. I fired her up. Nice ! What next, “I asked him so how do we go out?” He says sorry sir, we are not allowed to go out you can just start and test it.

Car off ! We step out, thank him and walk away.

So, next we go to Lunch and we decide since we have no options left, lets go and book the Swift. Tried, tested and lots of my friends own it (I did not want to but no choice). So we decide to go home and book the car in the evening. So I overslept and by the time I woke up and reach Acer Motors to book the car it would have been late. So it has to be on a Monday then.

Sunday passes by -

Monday morning reading the news paper and buried deep inside one of the pages in a small box was “Limited offer - Getz CRDi for 4.99, 50k off” !!

WOW !!! Forget everything - this is it ! I NEVER drove the CRDi variant of the Getz and knowing that this hatch has the most powerfull mill with a turbocharger inside and reading lots of reviews, road rocket etc etc. I wanted to get this !

I call Rekha again and she confirmed the offer.I tol her Im coming in the next 1 hour to book the car and I want Black ! She was clear that they did not have it but it was her committment to get hold of one for me in 2 weeks. This was on the 15th of June(Monday). I told her, its my bday on the 21st and I would love to have this gift by then. She said she would try to do her best.

I did not want to check ant other showroom as I was very comfortable dealing with her and I had faith in her words. So I went to the showroom, paid 5000rs as a booking amount and called up my Bank to start the formalities so everything was in place. My good realtionship with HDFC had alread a pre-approved Car loan for 8L ready to take up at any time of my will.

Tuesday and Wednesday pass by with som much excitement knowing that my fav car is coming home !

Thursday afternoon I get a call from Rekha that “Avi, good news - your car will be here for your bday in fact a day before. I have it all set and the Car will arrive at our showroom on Firday. So please get your bank stuff in place so you can drive out on Saturday.

Everything taken care of by Friday and I got a call from Rekha to confirm I can pick the Car up in the evening at 5PM. I was at the showroom on the dot at 4PM and my Wife joined me directly from work at 4:30 at the showroom. We finished all the formalities, Temp/reg, Insurance, Banks Loan Credit Note was Faxed and I could not see the car anywhere in near sight. So it was still a Surprise !!

Then from the Glass wall I saw MY SHINY, BLACK LOVELY GETZ with a deep blue ribbon tied to it. “Happy Bday Avi and happy Bday - Zippy !”

Forgot to mention about the Freebies I got were Mudflaps, Mats, Teflon and a box of chocolates. I did not bother much about asking for more.

Did the Photo Ceremony and a small initial puja by the showroom and we thanked Rekha and drove out. The odo had read 112 when I took delivery and 8Lts of Fuel was given from the Showroom.

Report and pics - to follow

kudos for detail review buddy!! but only two pics of your blacky?? post more and congrats!! [clap]

@ilango - sorry bro it looks creepy!

Couple of pics after getting the car and putting black tints
Congrats. Cool looking car. I don't know why it never did well in the market. I preferred it to the Swift when it was launched.

[QUOTE='ilango[speed thirst];You dont like the red interior in i10.

Have a look at what we have done to a crdi getz[evil][/QUOTE]

I liked the Red interiors of the i10, but this is too much to stomach. The Getz is a nice understated car.

A beautiful but worst birthday gift one can get.

Sorry to say but i'm forced to say this from my own experience. In kerala many Getz (petrol not CRDI) including mine got engine complaints just before 20000 km and now Getz is not here in Hyundai showrooms. Moreover CRDi Getz didn't launched here in Kerala because of it's bad image for it's pertol model. Rusting inside it's rear door was a common problem occurred here in Kerala, it may be because of our rainy climate here. In spite of these problems Getz is nice comfortable car to drive and to be chauffeur driven too.

In my opinion you should note that young lady Rekha's phone number and DOB so that you could give her this car on her next B'day.

Anyway i hope CRDi Getz have a nice engine.:suspect:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

zengetz

Suspended
A beautiful but worst birthday gift one can get.

Sorry to say but i'm forced to say this from my own experience. In kerala many Getz (petrol not CRDI) including mine got engine complaints just before 20000 km and now Getz is not here in Hyundai showrooms. Moreover CRDi Getz didn't launched here in Kerala because of it's bad image for it's pertol model. Rusting inside it's rear door was a common problem occurred here in Kerala, it may be because of our rainy climate here. In spite of these problems Getz is nice comfortable car to drive and to be chauffeur driven too.

In my opinion you should note that young lady Rekha's phone number and DOB so that you could give her this car on her next B'day.

Anyway i hope CRDi Getz have a nice engine.:suspect:

Clearly shows you you havent driven the CRDi mill under the getz, comparing it with the Petrol is apples to oranges and way beyond. The Getz CRDI is not a chauffers car FYI, I would recommend you drive it first. No offence but read some reviews and know what this car has got and you can pass your judgement. To be brief - 110BHP, 230+ NM Torque (Can you imagine the power) and its Turbocharged.

getz crdi has the verna engine right?i have driven the verna and it has awesome power. imagine the same engine on a hatch back, it would be a rocket on wheels. i too had it in my radar but decided against it as it lacked safety features like air bags, abs etc, the mileage is reported to be low.driving such a vehicle in kerala would have been like riding a stallion without bridles & saddle.[lol]

Thread Starter #9

zengetz

Suspended
Yes bro, its the same Verna CRDi engine and that is why Autocar had named it the Road rocket. And I agree the lack of safety features like Airbags and ABS are missing. One this that is recommended on this car is to upsize the tyres asthe stocky 175/65/R14 are not very stable.

I have upsized mine to 185/65/R14 Yoko A drives and the car is a dream !

Coming to mileage its a mixed bag - I drive with AC On all the time and I get 14.5 in City and I have recorded 19 on my drive to Shiridi.

lol - I like your stallion parabale :lol!:

350Z

Core Team
Extremely well written and straight from the heart review, Avi. It’s really interesting to read the complete dilemma and your experiences with different dealerships. But hey, posting only a couple of pictures is like serving half baked food. Do consider adding more of them, both of the exteriors and interiors. Also looking forward to read the initial ownership experience with Getz until now. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

the getz crdi failed to garner numbers, as even the dealers weren't promoting it much. dunno why?[confused] also the lack of safety features in such a powerful car was a big mistake from hyundai.congrats on your rocket mate, scorch the roads with your baby.post more snaps. ever think of putting on petes tuning box ? is it possible to install abs?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

zengetz

Suspended
the getz crdi failed to garner numbers, as even the dealers weren't promoting it much. dunno why?[confused] also the lack of safety features in such a powerful car was a big mistake from hyundai.congrats on your rocket mate, scorch the roads with your baby.post more snaps. ever think of putting on petes tuning box ? is it possible to install abs?
True , the car was not at all promoted in any way whatsoever, its only people who knew the car bought it and if you observe, its very tough to get hold of a CRDi getz in the used car market.

Yeh, I'll put up more pics tomorrow.

Yeh Pete's kit is on my mind but I don't see any immediate need for it. I love the kick it gives me even after 40k kms i covered in the last 2 years since I brought her home.

Im not sure if an after market ABS can be installed. I had faced some stability and braking problems (Minor) on my stock Good year tires. But I have now upsized to 185/65/r14 Yokos and the car is very stable.

Overtaking in this car is something that is so very addictive as the moment you hit 1800RPM the turbo kicks in and you feel an immediate rush in power.

Will be writing more in my Part 2 and more pics of the car.

That is a very well written report Avi , loved reading it! Have never driven the Getz CRDI but as its having the same engine as Verna CRDI i can be sure of one thing , POWER! Can blow away even some petrol hatches and sedans to shame. Even Verna din't have Airbags even in the top-end variant till Fluidic Verna was launched now.

Zengetz, Sorry for bumping into this old thread, but atfer viewing your Getz here, i couldnt resist myself from visiting this thread which has not been updated since quite long.
Hows your car doign now? Do post some pics too.

Top Bottom