Get Clear About Parking Lights!

Yes +1 to Raj , all of you using the hazard light during rain say its good and i do agree its good but its a wrong practice! Switch ON the headlamps and foglamps(if fitted) this itself should be good enough to catch the attention of the other road users.

Fog Lamp in rear :S didn't understood you mean reverse light ?
All cars sold in Europe are required to have rear fog lamps. These are red like tail lamps but the brightness is as much as the brake lights. Many Indian cars have them. I had them on my Uno. Even the Indica has them.

Really a very good thread Raj,

I use my Hazard only when my car is in stationary/Parking.

Incase of moderate rain also i use my parking & fog lamps, for heavy rain i turn on my headligths with low beam.

Once i was driving my car in NH-4 from Chennai to vvellore, one sumo used its hazard in heavy showers, due to traffic i have no option except then following him. that blinking lights creats irritation to my eyes & the visibility became very poor due to that blinking lights. so to avoid irritation i overtake him with some difficulty in Heavy shower.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Fog Lamp in rear :S didn't understood you mean reverse light ?
Its just an electrical Difference. Its the reverse lights that can be FORCED ON via a Switch. Its that way on my Uncle's Indigo.

Speaking of Confusion, We have not yet mentioned <B>LED DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) </b> which are mandatory in some of the nations.
Every other reviewer with the Mahindra 500 is calling them as DRLs even tough they are Parking Lights or City Lights.

Difference? Its Again Electrical (and Legal)
DRLs stay ON as long as the vehicle is working and Do Not activate rear Red lights

Parking lights is the wish of driver, and also activate Tail red lights.

I agree.

In very heavy rains where the visibility is less than a few meters, I do use the hazard lights, since I will be moving very slow and to warn anyone who might be moving at a faster speed coming up behind me.

I have seen people using hazard lights in heavy rains. Even there, it is referred to as parking lights!

It can be dangerous. Imagine this situation. It raining like cars & dogs. Visibility is down to minimum. And all drivers are using their hazard lights even though their cars are not parked. You are on a 4 lane highway, on the fast lane. Now, there is actually a broken down car in the fast lane with it's hazard lights ON. you think that even it is moving, like all the other cars, as visibility is minimum.

By the time you realize, it is too late. Whose fault is it?
This is exactly what happened with me, instead of using the full head lights and fog lamps, this guy was using his "Hazard lights" to warn the traffic. Initially when I saw this guy, I was cursing him stoping his car on the right lane, but later I found the car moving at snails pace. These were the exact thoughts that came to my mind.

Top Bottom