Gearless Bike For Regular Commute / Local Shopping

Thread Starter #1
I am looking to give away my Honda Dream Neo and taking a gearless scooter type which my wife can also occasionally ride.
So far, I have looked at the following options:
1. Honda Activa - standard, but no offers on price and accessories extra make it quite expensive. Showroom did not offer a test ride.
2. Honda Cliq - attractive due to the price segment. Slightly small for my frame, I took a test ride and found it quite comfortable. Not sure how difficult U-turns will be with my knees hitting the handlebar??
3. TVS Jupiter/Wego - nice bike, and TVS has a reputation for low service costs. Took a test ride on Jupiter and found it reasonably comfortable.
4. TVS Scooty pep plus - price attractive but too small for me.
5. Hero Maestro - there is an attractive offer for this, but the showroom I went to did not offer test ride and no exchange value quoted for my Dream Neo.
I even considered the TVS XL 100 new model, but again it is too small and low seating, which makes it uncomfortable for me.
Please help me make up my mind. As most of the above cost > 60 K on road.
Again, thinking whether at the current market rate, it is worth selling my Dream Neo. The only reason is that I get a back pain in this bike and constant gear shifting in city riding conditions makes it tiresome.
Is there any other brands I should consider?

Tvs jupiter is best among you have shortlisted. If price is constraint you can consider buying second hand scooters also

Last edited by a moderator:
3. TVS Jupiter/Wego - nice bike, and TVS has a reputation for low service costs. Took a test ride on Jupiter and found it reasonably comfortable.
TD the Maestro Edge. Go for the Hero Maestro Edge as it comes with many features like charging socket, engine immobilizer, spacious under seat storage and has an external fuel filling so that we need not open the seat while fuel filling and it comes with LED tail lamps too. So this bike is more comfortable and spacious than the Jupiter and nowadays every manufacture charges the same service cost for the scooter type bikes.

I think it is more VFM in scooter segment (My preference).

Just Buy the TVS Jupiter, and avoid Activa 4G, Hero Maestro etc, they still use very old tech, to name a few here:
1. Trailing arm front shocks /vs Jupiters Telescopic Front shocks.
2. Old school rear shocks /vs Jupiters Gas charged.
3. Fuel filler under seat /vs External.
4. Front 12" & Rear 10" steel wheels /vs 12" both Alloy wheels (Only downer TVS Rubber).
5. Cramped foot board /vs Large foot board.
6. Jupiter is much lower priced, also checkout the Classic, if you like baige inside panels.

My Jupiter story:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/two-wheelers/22274-bought-tvs-jupiter-via-whatsapp-wot.html

I am also in process of buying a new scooter for my wife, so recently done much R&D on scooters.

As @Nanofreak mentioned the benefits of TVS Jupiter, I would like to share my thoughts on other scooters as well.

- TVS Jupiter [12" alloys, optional front DISC brakes, external fuelling, smooth/powerful engine, good FE, easy to ride and handle, only scooter with super smooth suspensions even compared with Vespa, can be taken on highways after replacing tyres with good brand, headlight good for highway ride]

- TVS WEGO [especially for ladies or people with height below 5'4", same features as Jupiter + body balance technology, digit Speedo/Odo, LED taillamp, sync brake]

- Honda Activa 4G [proven long term reliable engine, smooth ride, powerful scooter for daily commute]

- Honda Activa125 [little addition to power, better front suspension than 4G, disk brake optional, bigger front tyre for better comfort, but looses balance on 10" tyres on rear]

- Hero Maestro Edge or Hero Duet [same engine, ABS material in body shell, again same issue of 12" and 10" tyre combination]

- Suzuki Access 125 [longest seat among all of these, powerful refined engine, good FE, longest foot board, big space under seat, same issue as Activa125]

- Aprilia SR150 [Powerful scooter available in INDIA, 14" alloys, wide tyres, short foot board, super ride and handling, suspension is not that good, headlight not good for highway ride]

- Mahindra Gusto/Gusto125 [powerful engine, weigh heavier so only suitable for highway ride, seat height adjustment, 12" tyres, telescopic suspension on front, not popular scooter] Believe me its one of the best scooter for highway, I would recommend for those who need only scooter to commute.

- VESPA 125/150 [powerful, stylish, disk brakes, wider tyres, 10" alloys, all Vespa brand accessories, scooter for those who believe in a different style, expensive of all]

Upcoming in next few months
- TVS Jupiter 125
- Aprilia sr125
- TVS Entorque

The worst part is no scooter is available in INDIA with ABS

The worst part is no scooter is available in INDIA with ABS
Yes, we do need more features like ABS, etc in a bike but not in a scooter because we are not going to cruise at a speed of 100 Kmph on an highway with scooter. Scooter is mainly meant for in city commutes and not more than that. But people used to take it on highway still no one goes past 70 - 80 kmph on a scooter when considering its safety some may rash drive at higher speeds and accident occurs.

And if these things are added then the prices of the scooter will be sky rocketing and the only way is to buy a proper 150 cc bike (for men) because nowadays most scooters price touch the 100 cc - 150 cc bike in the market.

Thread Starter #7
Hi All,
I have booked Maestro Edge and will take delivery tomorrow. Between TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro Edge it was a difficult decision. But decided to go with Hero finally as I was impressed by the list of features and also underseat storage capacity. Height of seat and comfort in ride was also good in my Test ride as I am hovering in the six foot class. Also Maestro Edge has rear fuel filling similar to TVS Jupiter, single key operation for ignition, seat opening and fuel opening and also the passing light.
Though fuel economy may be a slight concern as per online reviews, I am reasonably satisfied with the decision.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have booked Maestro Edge and will take delivery tomorrow. Between TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro Edge it was a difficult decision. But decided to go with Hero finally as I was impressed by the list of features and also underseat storage capacity. Height of seat and comfort in ride was also good in my Test ride as I am hovering in the six foot class. Also Maestro Edge has rear fuel filling similar to TVS Jupiter, single key operation for ignition, seat opening and fuel opening and also the passing light.
Though fuel economy may be a slight concern as per online reviews, I am reasonably satisfied with the decision.
Congratulations... have a happy miles ahead.

Post your buying experience with dealer.

Thread Starter #9
Sure. I have not yet taken delivery since the same is held up at RTO for some formalities. Expecting to take it this evening

Hey Hari,
Thanks for starting this thread, we are also shopping for a scooter to be used occasionally at my native place. Took short test drives of below scooters over the weekend:

• Hero Maestro Edge, Duet, Pleasure: Other than styling, I do not see any major benefits in these scooters. Maestro and Duet undoubtedly indicates to rider that one side is heavier.
  • Tvs Wego: This guy seems to be fully loaded with 12" alloys, combi braking, fully digital cluster, stylish, above all superb handling. Did not go for Jupiter as it felt bulky to my taste. Among all my TDs, TVS sales person was the most enthusiastic, responsive even sent a text message from their system first thing Monday morning (Sunday holiday for them).
  • Yamaha Ray Z and Fascino: Didn't find any good feature in these other than looks. Both the scooters were just arrived and neither behaved properly to throttle input. Will TD them again.
  • Pending TDs: Honda Dio, Activa, Suzuki Access, Lets.

All the above TD scooters had their odometers disconnected and used for TD and will be sold to some poor customer [frustration]. Also, none of the dealers asked for my DL (not even my name) before giving out the TDs.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have driven TVS Wego for almost 1.5 years and now since last one year using Maestro Edge (no prolem at all yet and very smooth after initial run up).

Recently my Nephew bought a Jupiter (as per my recommendation) and the scooter is performing well to the satisfaction of the guy and his Wife.

So, I recommend either Tvs Jupiter or Maestro Edge..!

hi guys am in the same boat to shift from dream yuga to scooter for the same reasons you listed above. As per my recent TD of various scooters, this is my take

Honda Activa : Worst show room experience, super refined scooter but front suspension is old school and no comfort at all with 10" wheels
TVS Jupitor : Refined engine, good suspension but not great, lacks in pick up its bit lazy for sure
TVS Wego : Excellent in everything like Jupitor and body balancing is good, but again lazy engine pick up and most important is the foot area has very narrow space(please check this) which will be difficult for a good amount of luggage(a 20L water bottle or a gas cylinder)

Am 5'11" and I found a common thing in all the above scooters is the handle bar is bit low to my hands thus creating force pressure on my hands when we brake and being a gearless scooter we need to break very frequently, check this out too

Today drove a 2 year old suzuki swish which as done 39000 on ODO and engine response amazed me, really it pulls awesome, not too great on comfort(suspect that excess air filled in tyres) I always thought suzuki service guys screw of the vehicles based on my past slingshot experience but found even after two years power delivery is awesome and found that FE is 40kmpl not bad. Its old model and new model is improved version and also found the handle bar comfortable. will explore a TD of new swish and access 125 soon.

Maestro Edge : Good in everything with lot of features, but engine refinement is not great, not very quicker and most important worry is about the fiber body panels in long run. Look forward for Mr.Nair's detailed feedback on his usage

Apart from the above also looking forward to see Honda Grazia when it get launched soon

Nairrk

Honoured Member
First of all my usage is very less (all the 5 free services are over and the scooter did only 2610kms so far) as it is used only for shopping purposes.

Engine refinement -Yes, initially the scooter is not smooth as TVS but now its doing good. As far as fiber body is concerned, I selected/purchased the scooter knowing that it has fiber body (Duet comes with full metal body, but she has 10'' wheels hence I didnt go for it). However, no damages so far and the body shines as it is a new one.

Having all said, I think one cannot get a 100pct satisfaction on any scooter so you have to see what best you like among the lot and pick that one.

Thank you Nair for the details, my worry of the fibre body in terms of making noise after sometime and fading off. Anyway lets see how it fares in future.

Honda Grazia launch is underway

Image source : auto.ndtv.com

Attachments

Top Bottom