Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

I have used a Garmin for well over two years - first a 265WT with SatGuide maps, and now a 2465LM with Navteq. Now I have got very used to it. In fact I was visiting someone in South Kanpur yesterday. I took my Garmin just to save his location so that I can navigate to his house using unfamiliar routes (esp NH2 Kanpur bypass). At the moment I know of only one passable route.
Sir, Welcome to The Automotive India.

I have a query, what kind of back up can we expect from these navigators. Also why did you switch to other navigator, did the first one get kaput.

Thread Starter #62

350Z

Core Team
I have a query, what kind of back up can we expect from these navigators.
You are referring to battery back up? Mine does not last more than 1.5 hours. Garmin claims it to be 2 Hours maximum though. I’m looking for a data cable now to register the device online.

Drive Safe,
350Z

You are referring to battery back up? Mine does not last more than 1.5 hours. Garmin claims it to be 2 Hours maximum though. I’m looking for a data cable now to register the device online.
The unit comes with a short USB cable. My Garmin 265WT used to last for over 3 hours, but the claimed time for the 3465LM is only 1:30. Some progress in going from NiMH to LiIon!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Cant we charge the navigator through the charging point in the car, like in case of mobile phones etc?

Thread Starter #65

350Z

Core Team
The unit comes with a short USB cable. My Garmin 265WT used to last for over 3 hours, but the claimed time for the 3465LM is only 1:30. Some progress in going from NiMH to LiIon!
Nuvi 40LM does not come with a data cable but it is purchasable separately from Garmin.

Cant we charge the navigator through the charging point in the car, like in case of mobile phones etc?
Yes. You can charge the device while on move with car charger (provided). However, there is no wall charger to browse maps at home / use in pedestrian mode.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Nuvi 40LM does not come with a data cable but it is purchasable separately from Garmin.
I find the common connector for phones (Samsung/htc) works with my 2465WT. There is a different connector for the 12V cable, so please check. The other (larger) cable is the same as on Blackberry (some models at least)!

Thread Starter #67

350Z

Core Team
I find the common connector for phones (Samsung/htc) works with my 2465WT. There is a different connector for the 12V cable, so please check.
Data cable provided with my Samsung Galaxy is Micro USB Cable. Therefore, it didn’t work since Garmin Nuvi 40 requires a Mini USB Cable.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Data cable provided with my Samsung Galaxy is Micro USB Cable. Therefore, it didn’t work since Garmin Nuvi 40 requires a Mini USB Cable.
This is what I feared. I saw the pics and was suspicious. In my 2465 the connector for the USB is a micro USB, while for the 12V adapter it is a mini-USB. Blackberry's (my old Curve for example) used this connector. I am not sure what is used by current BBs.

Thread Starter #69

350Z

Core Team
This is what I feared. I saw the pics and was suspicious. In my 2465 the connector for the USB is a micro USB, while for the 12V adapter it is a mini-USB. Blackberry's (my old Curve for example) used this connector. I am not sure what is used by current BBs.
I bought a Mini USB data cable from outside but it didn’t work. Now I’m thinking to get one from Garmin itself. It sounds a little overpriced at 300 bucks though.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I bought a Mini USB data cable from outside but it didn’t work. Now I’m thinking to get one from Garmin itself. It sounds a little overpriced at 300 bucks though.
Bad luck. While I had the BB I used that cable all the time with my 265WT. being longer it was far handier.

Hi,

I have a query, recently purchased a VW Vento 1.6 HL TDI. Interested to fit in a GPS System with a reverse camera.
VW is offering a Garmin GPS system with reverse camera for approx 30,000.00 but the model no. is also not clear to the dealers.

So, I plan to fit Garmin nuvi 2565 LM with a Bluetooth wireless reverse camera. After talking to the engineers they will just connect the reverse camera to the rear reverse light to draw power, the main device to the cigarette lighter socket.

I also had a discussion with the VW workshop wherein i requested that as they are not clear with the model no they should help me fit the model i purchase for outside and charge an appropriate labor cost. (Which they refused outright).

My Concern is If i get this done from outside will it void my warranty.

Frankly speaking VW vehicle is one excellent one but VW service and the staff is pathetic.

Being new If the post is in wrong thread please help to move it in the right forum.

Regards
Vishal.

Vishal, its not only vw, all car dealers says everything will avoid warranty.

If any wire will be cut, you will surely void warranty. Which if you fit reverse camara, will surely void it.

It will be good if you contact raj, as he is working in vw (afaik)

Thread Starter #73

350Z

Core Team
Garmin has introduced voice guidance in local languages including Punjabi, Tamil, Telgu, Kannada and Malayalam. It’s available as an update for models above Nuvi 1000.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I have recently purchased Garmin Nuvi 1450 GPS from US. I would like to install India map in it. Which map is good one to install in Garmin? How much will it cost? Is Life time Free update available for the map or do we need to buy updates time-to-time? Where can I buy in Chennai?

I have recently purchased Garmin Nuvi 1450 GPS from US. I would like to install India map in it. Which map is good one to install in Garmin? How much will it cost? Is Life time Free update available for the map or do we need to buy updates time-to-time? Where can I buy in Chennai?
1. Navteq / MMI or Satguide are the options. Navteq is $99.99. Satguide is the cheapest.

2. No free upgrades. This is the reason I passed on my 265WT (bought in the US) to me son, and got myself a unit 2465LM with lifetime maps.

With lifetime maps getting them from the US is no longer economical in the long term.

Of course 'cracked' maps (Navteq and MMI for sure) are available on the web for free. I will not post the link here since that will be supporting an illegal activity.

Top Bottom