Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

lmao, this is the best joke i;ve heard for a while.

Google Maps requires a Data Connection because of the design of the application. It downloads the map information directly and works with the GPS radio to determine your current position on map.
@Nitin: I do not want to post my comment on you calling this a joke.

From my experience, I was NEVER able to navigate without an active GPRS/3G connection using my iPhone even after downloading the offline map. FYI - My phone has dual core A5 processor. Within city limits it works like a charm though.

Technically speaking GPS radio on the mobile should do the job. But it's not as effective as the one that comes on a GPS Device. It's frustrating to stop in the mid of a deviation on a highway and wait for commuters to ask for direction.

Like I said smartphones cannot replace each and everything.

Friendly tip: We are only discussing our experience here. I don't think any one is trying to make joke or so. Even if some fellow TAI members is/are not aware/updated with latest tech/knowledge, rather than criticizing in a sarcastic way, it would be a good idea to put forth our view points in a nice way/with supporting data.

Buying/Not buying a GPS device is purely a personal choice.

@Mari, yes we are discussing for mutual benefit.

my previous phone had issues,even android phone had issues with proper tracking on maps.
But nokia ovi maps acts like a knife through butter.it is intutive and has been serving well.
So did I ask this query .
I believe either iphone or your particular phone software should have any issues.
My thoughts on a dedicated gps are,
faster to operate and navigate
better sensitivity and accuracy
longer battery life
more rugged for abuse etc
which are not that much of a need for us normal travellers. Were a mobile map would suffice.

We have both Android & iPhone. But both these phones requires a data connection to determine the current active location, even if we have offline maps downloaded.

In your Nokia Ovi maps - has it helped you navigate even if there is no signal?

Deactivate national/regional roaming - while you are in other state, will the phone help in navigating if offline map is available? This is the same scenario where mobile signal is lost while on a highway ride.
Has anyone tried this? Has it worked?

Yes it does. It does keep saying mobile data unavalable and keep searching.
But navigation does continues.
i think data connections aid to check any new updates to the previous entry.

I just checked it right away. The small dish type gps radio is on on top right corner.
This is how.
Moment i saw your post I switched off the data. And started the map. i am at anew loc right now.
It kept searching saying no data found. i turn on the data loc is instantly found. i move around and it tracks. i turn off data again.it does.
i restart the map without data. It took 5 secs and locks on the my position I walk around and it shows difference of 10 meter.
so it means the data is only for getting regional map picture and coordinates. Position is provided by the satelite.so it works.

One more question? Is there signal available on your mobile? Not the GPRS/Data Connection? Your mobile should not be having signal to make or receive any calls and yet will navigation work and is your phone finding your location?

Even for me in Bangalore limits, by disabling data connection, the navigator will locate my position.

But in a mid of a highway, since there is absolutely no signal on my mobile (no gprs, no data, no signal to make/receive calls), then my phone cannot determine my location.

Here I am back.
I tested with phone set offline.i.e no connection.

The gps tracks.

I have a just "Drive" app in here. And it works perfectly well to the twists and turns of my travel.

Covered 5 km offline just now. I cant go further as I am at work and people will come looking for me so I cannot guarentee what happens after 50km of remote travel ,but naturally it should work.

I am still under open sky, and posting through mobile ,kindly forgive me for spelling and grammar errors.

Hats off to you Jayadev [clap] I cannot ask for anything more.

Let me also try once again. But I still would buy a GPS device as I can fit the navigator to my car for better view-ability and comfortableness.

Driving and navigating using a phone at the same time might not be more friendlier (for me [:D])

I am planning for a trip in mid October. I will try and update with the comparison.

Let me also check the new Apple Maps (waiting for 19 September) and see how much it helps.

jayadev said:
Here I am back.
I tested with phone set offline.i.e no connection.

The gps tracks.

I have a just "Drive" app in here. And it works perfectly well to the twists and turns of my travel.

Covered 5 km offline just now. I cant go further as I am at work and people will come looking for me so I cannot guarentee what happens after 50km of remote travel ,but naturally it should work.

I am still under open sky, and posting through mobile ,kindly forgive me for spelling and grammar errors.
thats what i had told in my last post in rear page!
it needs data connection for calculating route, after that it will work offline also

@Nitin: I do not want to post my comment on you calling this a joke.

From my experience, I was NEVER able to navigate without an active GPRS/3G connection using my iPhone even after downloading the offline map. FYI - My phone has dual core A5 processor. Within city limits it works like a charm though.

Technically speaking GPS radio on the mobile should do the job. But it's not as effective as the one that comes on a GPS Device. It's frustrating to stop in the mid of a deviation on a highway and wait for commuters to ask for direction.

Like I said smartphones cannot replace each and everything.

Friendly tip: We are only discussing our experience here. I don't think any one is trying to make joke or so. Even if some fellow TAI members is/are not aware/updated with latest tech/knowledge, rather than criticizing in a sarcastic way, it would be a good idea to put forth our view points in a nice way/with supporting data.

Buying/Not buying a GPS device is purely a personal choice.
my intention was not to make fun of anyone and i apologize if you felt that way.

i dont know how effective gps is on iphone, but yes for android i will ask you or anyone to try this -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&feature=more_from_developer

i can assure you will end up buying this app after your 14 day trial is over. And this app will answer all your questions.

Unfortunately the models 40LM & 50 LM are not available in Kolkata. I have already tried a few shops.
I suggest you contact the local distributor who can be found on garmin.co. in
They will help you. I bought my 2465LM from a dealer in Delhi who was referred to by the distributor in an e-mail. Of course you are looking at the list price here.

Is it not risky to keep checking mobile when driving ? It may be accident prone ?
would the same argument not hold true for a standalone gps device ?

generally GPS devices come with a car mount holder while you can purchase the same for a fraction of cost for your mobile
Universal Car Mount Holder For Mobile Phone iPod - price in India : Rediff Shopping

the directions are given verbally. also Instead of assuming and raising objections just for the sake of it, why do not you try it and then comment.

I have used a Garmin for well over two years - first a 265WT with SatGuide maps, and now a 2465LM with Navteq. Now I have got very used to it. In fact I was visiting someone in South Kanpur yesterday. I took my Garmin just to save his location so that I can navigate to his house using unfamiliar routes (esp NH2 Kanpur bypass). At the moment I know of only one passable route.

Top Bottom