Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
I bought a mini data cable from outside but that didn’t work. I think I would have to get one from Garmin itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

+1000 to that.

Hey Vibhor that's a really nice and very detailed review[clap]. Loved reading your review, you have captured every thing that is useful in the GPS. It looks almost identical to the one i have and all the functions are exactly the same and it behaves similar to a Garmin GPS as it works in US.

I am definitely buying one before i come to India as i going to make couple of long trips this time.

Also i like the periodic update thing because here you have to pay them if you want to update even once. [frustration]

Excellent review Vibhor. I find navigator to be a prime requirement if one has to travel out of town often. In my case i rely on Google maps on my Windows phone. Although it doesnt work well for remote locations, but still gives a rough idea of the location.

Thread Starter #19

350Z

Core Team
Also i like the periodic update thing because here you have to pay them if you want to update even once.
Thanks, Singh. Free maps are available on limited models with suffix LM (Lifetime Maps). Which model is yours and how much does the update costs?

Excellent review Vibhor. I find navigator to be a prime requirement if one has to travel out of town often. In my case i rely on Google maps on my Windows phone. Although it doesnt work well for remote locations, but still gives a rough idea of the location.
Thanks, Akash. You spend quite much on accessories. So do consider a GPS too. It’s useful even in towns.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fantastic review. I had decided to buy MMI but now looking after this review I am tempted towards Garmin.

Are there any dealers in Bangalore for Garmin?

Thread Starter #22

350Z

Core Team
Hi 350Z, what about the spelling in the maps? Is it normal or something peculiar like MMI maps?
So far I have not come across issues related to spellings though I would like to report one thing: While typing, the device prompts to another screen listing similar results. I don’t know if there’s a way to turn it off but it’s a real pain to press back button each time after typing a letter. Example: If I’m typing “Noida – Sector 63”, it would list all the sectors until I’m done entering the last related term (i.e. “r” in this case).

Are there any dealers in Bangalore for Garmin?
There are two Garmin authorized dealers / offices in Bangalore:

> Ariel Services: Ph: +91-98440 88477

> Elektronik Lab: Ph: +91-2224715115

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey
Tommrow i have to go to ghaziabad to a unknown place and really missing such a product. I wish prices fall to around 5k to make it more affordable
BTW any idea how to save google maps on pc for printouts [surprise]

Hey
Tommrow i have to go to ghaziabad to a unknown place and really missing such a product. I wish prices fall to around 5k to make it more affordable
BTW any idea how to save google maps on pc for printouts [surprise]
Where in Ghaziabad buddy?? I might be able to help. [:)] If needed I can PM you my no. too just in case you get lost.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #25

350Z

Core Team
HeyTommrow i have to go to ghaziabad to a unknown place and really missing such a product.
Get an idea from Google Maps. It works as a temporary fix before buying GPS. Even I used to do the same earlier.

I wish prices fall to around 5k to make it more affordable
The price is already reasonable enough. You cannot expect a quality GPS device such as this to be sold at Rs.3,000.

BTW any idea how to save google maps on pc for printouts
There is a Print icon on the left navigation pane next to “My Places” Button.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i use sygic on my doid razr, purchased the app and found the maps to be very detailed. Now they are planning to introduce live traffic details for india.

Man
I am really tempted to go for this. 8k is not much for 5 years of convenience
350Z is it working well? I mean its guiding well?

Thread Starter #29

350Z

Core Team
Their website has not listed a dealer in Kolkata either. You could try to speak with an authorized distributor and ask them to source one with B&W or just mail to Garmin.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #30

350Z

Core Team
However, it doesn't connects on the indoors and I am yet to test it in the basements, tunnels or underpass. I assume it might not work there either.
I checked it in the basement parking today. As expected, it didn’t received the satellite signals there.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom