Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

Garmin needs to update its maps. a few friends also complained about their lackluster updates and outdated maps.

Hi Friends,

Please suggest me which Garmin model will suit my need as I already have MGA fitted reverse parking camera which displays entire video and gives warning on distance less than 2 m. So from GPS system the reverse camera feature will be useless for me.

Now the basic one are 40 and 50 series I believe spending 1k for additional 1" display is worth.

However I am not sure what would be worth to buy nuvi 2565LM as it has bluetooth feature.

Do we need to buy car mobile charger to keep navigation system charged.

Do we need to buy some nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models) for Map updates.

There is also a tempting device Vx140s Premium from MMI at 11990 and it has bluetooth feature.

hi everybody
am new to this website. am planning a roadtrip from my hometown in kerala to chennai with few stops to some temples and relatives houses enroute. does the Garmin Nuvi 40 LM actually cover all these places? can someone check some examples of places are kannur (cannannore), vadakara, kattangal, guruvayoor, srirangam (trichy) etc.

thank you in advance.

regards

Sujil

@sujil

If you are particular about garmin , better get a garmin device from abroad and use the latest maps for garmin from Mapmyindia.It will be cheap. Rightnow Mapmyindia maps are better when compared to Garmin official Navteq maps.

Mapmyindia also has their own devices. Apart from Maps,UI also different . Better check both in hand and decide. Both have +ives and -ives. Select the device which has gps log /track option, so that you can view /reffer your GPS log latter in PC.Right now some offers are there for Mapmyindia device. Check their website.
In the latest Garmin map NT-2012-40 your locations are covered apart from kattangal.But NIT calicut is there in MMI maps. Its easy to select locations by Google lat/lon then inbuild search function.

Thanks.

@ Miles2Go
thanks for your response. i checked out the sygic free trial seems to be good. but it does drain mobile battery. so mostly i will go for a dedicated unit.

@sujil

Better go for a dedicated GPS unit. Mobile GPS can be used for short duration/ emergencies. But very difficult in real world situtation like
-Can't leave it in car and go for tea,loo,etc
-Can't use it for long duration continuously like 10 hrs drive.
-Direct heat/sunlight from windshield
-Battery drain.
-Safety -will attract unwanted elements.

For occasional drive,you can use mobile. Till last week,sygic is having some offer. Buy 1 get one licence free.Chk directly with sygic for details.

Thread Starter #97

350Z

Core Team
does the Garmin Nuvi 40 LM actually cover all these places? can someone check some examples of places are kannur (cannannore), vadakara, kattangal, guruvayoor, srirangam (trichy) etc.
Yes. Garmin Nuvi 40LM has the mentioned locations but there are slight variations in some spellings (Example: Kettangal, Guruvayur etc).

So from GPS system the reverse camera feature will be useless for me.
How? Both are different units and a separate GPS device will not affect the built-in reverse camera.

Now the basic one are 40 and 50 series I believe spending 1k for additional 1" display is worth.
It’s a personal choice but Nuvi 40LM serves the purpose equally well.

Do we need to buy car mobile charger to keep navigation system charged.
Your car should just have a 12V socket. GPS charger is provided in the box.

Do we need to buy some nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models) for Map updates.
The maps are preloaded. You can update them whenever required after registering with Garmin official website.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Vibhor - how good is it when compared to google map? I mean i always use to depend on my google maps from my mobile. Which served well.
If this MMI or garmin is better than google from my phone, I would look at buying this. Any suggestions?

Thread Starter #99

350Z

Core Team
Vibhor - how good is it when compared to google map? I mean i always use to depend on my google maps from my mobile. Which served well.
Google maps serve well for quick references. However, I find a standalone GPS device more convenient for long trips and while travelling in unknown locations.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for your nice review. Have you tried loading MapMyIndia maps on your Garmin device? I've heard that MapMyIndia maps are much more detailed? I feel it would be like having the best of both worlds - Garmin Device and MapMyIndia maps? What's your opinion?

Thread Starter #102

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for your nice review. Have you tried loading MapMyIndia maps on your Garmin device? I've heard that MapMyIndia maps are much more detailed? I feel it would be like having the best of both worlds - Garmin Device and MapMyIndia maps? What's your opinion?
Thanks and welcome to The Automotive India. Yes, from what I have heard, MMI Maps are much superior in comparison with Garmin’s stock Navteq Maps. However, I have not loaded them because existing setup is serving the purpose for me. Plus, free map updates are one of the reasons I bought Garmin. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Bull's Eye! A great buy. I too bought the nuvi40 LM last month. And don't ask man, it was just like an angel - guiding us all the way in Delhi!
I got the nuvi(which btw included a usb cable too), a rev cam and a separate LCD screen for 9.5k. The map is awesome though not that accurate and detailed here in Kashmir (It sometimes shows my car travelling on a river when in reality i'm crossing a bridge[lol]). But after all I don't need it here in my land. Moreover, I've not yet tried that phone number function. The garmin guy said that it doesn't work in India. Overall, I'm more than happy. It's a real VFM product![thumbsup]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for a great review Mr 350z. Came to know about your name after going thru this thread [:)]

After reading almost every posts, wanted to share bit of information from my side.

If you have a phone with 4" or better, I would suggest you to check android maps (offline) /test it before you jump on any 3.5" Maps. If you are buying, buy one having 5"/7" screen which can replace your head unit. (Reverse camera/Bluetooth/audio)

I had done a lot of research on GPS Navigation and believe me, none of the navigation (offline) are perfect at the moment [At least now]. Google Maps/Navigation (if you have data) works almost accurate (with lots of add - way points).

Problem with offline maps, they do not update as and when the route gets changed. They in fact come up with a big update for the whole city/state/country rather than updating the latest route change.

Eg: 1 year back we got a new underpass opened on my way home from office.It took 3-4 year for construction. Google map showed a deviation till the underpass opened. It took a month or so before it got corrected.

Coming to sygic:- They were showing straight route in all the map during the work. (many updates during the 3 years)
After the opening, i got another map update. Now, i see a deviation in the new map. Now there is no need of deviation as the road is opened !

There are many issues with other maps too. It goes and hit to a wall and say 'go straight'.

Sygic Maps (mapmyindia) are available for android store for 1399. You can get future map/software updates.

Regarding the battery drain in mobile : GPS is normally used with power (most of the navigation system always connects to 12v socket). So, you cant complain your phone for battery drain. GPS continuously connects with Satellite so the battery drain/ heating. It is absolutely normal.

Worried about phone calls while driving:- I have a simple solution. You get stereo bluetooth headset like MW600 from sony. Pair it with your mobile. Connect the MW600 with an aux cable to your car's aux audio port. You will hear turn by turn navigation on your speaker (if you chose aux) with phone calls. You can even play songs on your mobile and listen on your car's speakers.

I have a Dell Streak 5" and i use Sygic offline maps. Before driving long distance, i compare the map with google map. I add multiple way point, and then save the route.

Only down side is , I have not bought a car holder. that is quite expensive. around 3K for a car holder. (Good one) !
As i get alert before 200-300m, i dont even have to see the screen. So holder is postponed.

And, touch screen is normally better (capacitive) on phone than the device. Felt difficult/hard when tried few of them.

Finally - Saw a few thread discussed about it. Since that was old thread, didnt re-open it. (Still learning forum rules)

Regards
appus

Map Update:

Garmin City Navigator India NT 2013.10 --India map update availabe at Garmin India website.
This update has Maps, JCV (Junction View) and SID (Search Index) files.

Thanks.

Top Bottom