Garmin Nuvi 40 LM Review: Your Personal Navigator

Garmin Corp launches voice guidance in 5 Indian languages

Garmin Corporation, a unit of Nasdaq-listed Garmin Ltd., a satellite navigation company on Thursday announced the launch of voice guidance in five new Indian languages – Kannada, Tamil, Punjabi, Telugu & Malayalam -- in all models above nüvi 1000 series and personal navigation devices (PNDs).

Thread Starter #79

350Z

Core Team
I was travelling a lot around Delhi last weekend. Couldn’t be happier to inform that this device has been a savior. It navigates flawlessly. Although some of the routes were long (at least the ones I know). I assume it might be due to the route preference setting as “Faster Time”. Yet to test it with “Shorter Distance”.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I purchased the Garmin 2565 and it's a savior on my recent trip to Mangalore and norhtern Karnataka. I did not stop at any single place to ask for any direction, the navigator worked like a charm.

It's a must have and free lifetime maps update is another noticeable feature of Garmin.

One tip though: You can find the Latitude/Longitude from Google Maps and then get the corresponding GPS co-ordinates and use those co-ordinates to plan your trip/route in Garmin.

Thread Starter #81

350Z

Core Team
Finally I have sourced the Mini USB Cable. Got it with Handycam which was lying unused from sometime. Now I have registered the device on Garmin’s website too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi, Thank you for this informative review. However, I have one question. I have been using a Garmin 350 with MMI maps and totally love it. However, for a new car, I bought a MMI Road Pilot I as I needed only the GPS functions but I am not at all satisfied with it. I so dislike it that I wish to go back to Garmin as I am too used to it and its features. The MMI Road Pilot does not have a night mode and it does not switch on and off with the car automatically. My Garmin switched on automatically when external power (through 12v car connection) was active and it turned off automatically when external power was cut (after giving an option to continue on battery for 30 seconds) where as MMI Road Pilot just keeps running. All I need is a dedicated GPS device running in perfect harmony with the car, dont need any extra frills like reverse cam, multimedia etc. I have finalized Garmin 40LM and I believe it does have auto day/night more and what I wish to know if this also switches on and off automatically? Thanks for your help in advance.

Thread Starter #84

350Z

Core Team
My Garmin switched on automatically when external power (through 12v car connection) was active and it turned off automatically when external power was cut (after giving an option to continue on battery for 30 seconds)
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India. Yes, Garmin Nuvi 40LM is also equipped with the same feature. Go ahead. Congrats in advance for purchase.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Is it OK to connect the GPS device to the 12V car adapter point always? Or should we connect to the car charger only when the battery drains?

Which will give a better life for the GPS device?

Is it OK to connect the GPS device to the 12V car adapter point always? Or should we connect to the car charger only when the battery drains?

Which will give a better life for the GPS device?
Most of the modern portable devices (mobiles, PNDs, MP3 players) have LiOn re-chargeable batteries. For optimum battery life they should be allowed a proper discharge-recharge cycle.

freakdude.

It is better to connect only when required for an enhanced battery life.

Drive Safe,
350Z
My Garmin device is able to detect the reverse camera only when it is connected to the car charger. I tested many times to confirm this.

It would be painful for me to plug/unplug the charger every time I reverse my car. Hmm may be I have to keep it plugged to the charger always.

New Map update for Garmin is available. Check and download from here mapupdate | Garmin India

Map Update for Garmin City Navigator India NT 2012.40

The map is available to India localised nuvi 50LM, nuvi 40LM, nuvi 2565LM, nuvi 2465LM, nuvi 1470 Maruti Suzuki/ 1460/ 1380 Honda/ 1375 Hyundai/ 1370 Maruti Suzuki/ 1365 Tata/ 1360/ 1270 Maruti Suzuki/ 715 (preloaded NAVTEQ Map)/ 216 VW/ 215 were purchased from authorised dealers in India.

Thread Starter #89

350Z

Core Team
My GPS is not able to detect / locate Buddh International Circuit at all. I tried searching it with different spellings and settings. Anyone else had luck?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Anyone else had luck?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Actually even on my 2565LM I am not able to find few places. As an alternate what I do is
  1. I find the latitude and longitude of that place from Google maps
  2. Right click on that place in maps and choose "What's here". Lat & Long will be displayed in the location field
  3. Using lat & long get the GPS coordinates from GPS coordinates, points of interest, POI, waypoints, routes, tracks

You can set a route or navigate using GPS coordinates on your Garmin device. I mostly follow this for planning my trips.

Top Bottom