Future of Chevrolet Optra Magnum?

Thread Starter #1
mods, i searched the forum regarding this thread but was not able to find one, if ones there do merge them.
I was wondering after price cut from chevy of their optra car, its a wonderful deal for a spacious,diesel,perfect family sedan just around 10L with all the bells and whisles.What it lacks is its marketing.But seeing cruze's success do you think company would withdraw this model from market or it would keep selling in those small numbers as well, I am very much tempted with this car but not sure though if its a right buy.Has a good powerful 2.0L diesel engine, good space all around front as well as rear, good boot space and a perfect family car which is priced correctly now as compared to 2-3 years back when it was almost 12L, not tad under 10.So what do u guys see the future of this car and if one buys it what would be the position of availability of spares in future, i know atleast for 7 or 9 years there's law biding company to have the availability of spares from the date of sell of their last vehicle.And this car is still under production, mainly diesel which sells more then petrol 1.6 and 1.8.
Yours take on this?

Re: Future of Chevrolet Optra Magnum

i think the Optra MAgnum is a fabulous car still. In fact, with reduced prices, I might even go for it in place of the Cruze. That is how much I love that car. Also it has the sleeper image. Because in a straight line, It can eat up quite a few cars in a drag. Interiors are still top notch. I mean with price reduction, it comes in rivalry to the City, Linea and etc. Compared to that, I think the Magnum is still a good buy.

Hi Vijay,

Optra magnum is an awesome car. I kept hands on it couple of times.
Its 120BHP heart under the hood is a pleasure to cruise on road. Very spacious too. But still, I feel its kind of outdated now.

Also have a check with ANHC and Vento. [:)]

I Test drove the Optra Magnum last year and needless to say i was thrilled after the short drive of about 10kms. It is one of the best cars one can pick when buying a second hand car. However if the optra is shifted close to the Fiesta Classic segment, i am sure it will sell like hot cakes.
I still love Optra and honestly, it still looks appealing to me from outside, though i dont like its interiors at all.

I also wonder why there are no takers for the Magnum. Its a decent looker , amazing performer , has got some features for the price tag too. Don't know about its maintenance though. If you are interested in it , you might even get tempting deals for the car. But if i were you i would stay away from the car. Why , it may get discontinued anytime. Spares though will be available may take a lot of time to arrive! Increase your budget and go for the Cruze instead!

Cruze has got even more power , quite a looker , new to the market , good amount of features , good FE and more VFM!

i did a td on the optra magnum diesel .its a gem of car & i was tempted to go for it instead of the vento. the old look and poor resale value, low mileage (friends of mine only got 14kmpl ) put me off. the sheer power of the engine is addictive. i had nausea after the td as i drove the car on winding roads at good speeds.

I also wonder why there are no takers for the Magnum. Its a decent looker , amazing performer , has got some features for the price tag too. Don't know about its maintenance though. If you are interested in it.
The maintenance cost of Magnum isn't much, and is lower than new gen diesel sedans like Vento. As a matter of fact i had almost made up my mind to go for one as a replacement for our Alto, but a few things like A.S.S and low fe made me rethink about my decision.

low mileage (friends of mine only got 14kmpl )
Yes that is the major reason why the Magnum isnt much popular among masses, however it is still a hot sedan among diesel heads.

Thread Starter #8

I also wonder why there are no takers for the Magnum. Its a decent looker , amazing performer , has got some features for the price tag too. Don't know about its maintenance though. If you are interested in it , you might even get tempting deals for the car. But if i were you i would stay away from the car. Why , it may get discontinued anytime. Spares though will be available may take a lot of time to arrive! Increase your budget and go for the Cruze instead!

Cruze has got even more power , quite a looker , new to the market , good amount of features , good FE and more VFM!
cruze has everything good then space, its too bad for rear passengers and also out of budget for 13L.I was comparing optra for options of honda city, linea,vento,fiesta and verna.ANHV seems appealing as well with 1.6L under its hood with new gizmos,features but then again rear seat comfort is not my liking in current and previous verna and i dont think new one would fit more space either, but would check.My concerns are if i buy current optra with some good discounts then would that be a good deal to buy now, as when a friend was buying his aveo we were offered a whooping 1L discount on optra which i am sure would be some more if finalised with SE.

350Z

Core Team

Chevrolet Optra has been one of my favorites on its own times. I think, your situation is also similar to mine - I love the Aveo and could right away end my hunt with one, but yet there's something which pulls me back. The spares of either of the models should not be difficult and General Motors is only strengthening their base in India, so after sales is not a major concern either. Although the main question which you must ask yourself is whether you would be ready to accept the fact that you will be spending around Rs.10 Lakhs for a dated car which is almost living on its last legs in the market and company might pull it back anytime, inspite of knowing that latest options are available in market? Because when it comes to 'latest', it's not only new design and features that you purchase, but along with it comes the improved technology, safety and design standards too. As far as the overall rear roominess is concerned, I find it to be only decreasing in modern cars (Read New Fiesta, Verna etc) because of the focus of manufacturers to provide a 'sporty' appeal.

vijay said:
My concerns are if i buy current optra with some good discounts then would that be a good deal to buy now, as when a friend was buying his aveo we were offered a whooping 1L discount on optra which i am sure would be some more if finalised with SE.
Discount of worth Rs.1 Lakhs sounds sweet. It'll be great if you can negotiate more depending upon bargaining skills, though I doubt if dealer will agree to anymore than a few thousand bucks. In case this happens, you can ask for additional accessories instead.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Vijay,

Did you had a look at corolla altis? I think space wont be a concern there!!! [:)]

Edit: Ohh yeah!!! falls out of budget.

Last edited:
Hey Vijay if space is your major concern why don't you check out the Manza Quadrajet , it has good space for rear passengers. Also Vento has a great legroom for rear passengers , i am 6'3" tall and my legs wont brush the front seats! If you don't have any problem buying a petrol then nothing can beat City when it comes to rear seat comfort.

Even though discounts are more still i would think twice before spending that much amount on a car which may get discontinued soon!

Thread Starter #13
yup i know your concerns and i too am thinking about the same.Well you cannot compare manza with optra with any means neither quality, nor refinment,power nothing.Yes manza has acres of space but both of them are in different league.Vento is good but not as good as manza or optra.shoulder,head room arent too good in vento and its too low for my parents, anyways still checking with options and they wouldlet u know.

Thread Starter #14
guys, any idea about used car market prices for optra diesel models after2008 models, any approx prices would be helpful.

Top Bottom