Fuel Efficiency Figures of Your Cars

I drive mostly between 1200 to 1700 RPM. There are other people who said they got more than this. I also feel am getting little lesser than desired.
Even I drive more or less in the same RPM. But my FE is bad. Is that because of fuel type which is petrol?

Please don't depend on DTE. The figures can vary most of the times. Ford has also clarified the same in the ownership manual.
The DTE will vary a lot when we are rolling in the cities and that too fuel tank is almost emptying, but in the highways on 60-80s it seems to be the good calculation.

I think we should minimize our drive and fill up the tank sooner when there is low fuel indicator on.

Hi all. Details of my vehicle's mileage are as follows.

Car:

Maruti Alto:

Model: 2011 August.

Mileage: 18 Kmpl (City.)
23-27 Kmpl (Highways without A/C.)

Speed: 80-100 Kmph.

Kms done: 12,500.

Bike:

Model: 2007 August.

Mileage: 80 Kmpl.

Speed: 50-60 Kmph.

Kms done: 35,000.

Hero Honda Passion plus.

I drive mostly between 1200 to 1700 RPM. There are other people who said they got more than this. I also feel am getting little lesser than desired.
In Bangalore, even 1200 RPM is hardly possible most of the times. Moreover, Stop-Start-Go and horrible B-2-B traffic is killing the FE. I used to get 16-17 in City with 100% A/C until I was in Pune.

BTW, you do calculate it with Tank-Tank method right?

In Bangalore, even 1200 RPM is hardly possible most of the times. Moreover, Stop-Start-Go and horrible B-2-B traffic is killing the FE. I used to get 16-17 in City with 100% A/C until I was in Pune.

BTW, you do calculate it with Tank-Tank method right?
Yes, I calculate with tank-tank method. But I don't top it up till the brim and stop it upto the fuel pump cut-off. So, it is actually from fuel pump cut-off to fuel pump cut-off.

Also, I put the diesel only from HP petrol pump near Manipal Hospital on old airport road so that even fuel pump cut-off will be the same.

My Stats :
Vehicle : Nissan Micra Xv diesel
Fuel : Diesel
Calculation Method : Tankful to tankful
City Mileage : 23 -24 kmpl with 70% A/C On. (MID shows 25 kmpl)
Highway Mileage : 25-26 kmpl with 70% A/C On. (MID shows 26-27 Kmpl)
Kms Done till now - 4065 Kms

Vehicle : TVS Apache 150 CC
Fuel : Petrol
Calculation Method : Tankful to tankful (Reserve to Reserve)
Overall Mileage - 55-60 Kmpl
Kms Done till now - 47000+ Kms

Car : Ritz VDi

Mileage
City : 16 kmpl
Highway : 22 kmpl

Remarks:
Done with third service @10,000kms recently, I hope the mileage should marginally [:D]improve further.

Last edited:
Car : Ritz VDi

Mileage
City : 16 kmpl
Highway : 22 kmpl

Remarks:
Done with third service @10,000kms recently, I hope the mileage should marginally [:D]improve further.
Yes, you are correct. For any diesel car if you want to see real FE, then it has to run for 10000km. After 10000km my Ritz gives 18+ in city and 23+ in highways with AC on and speeds on highway of 80 to 100kmph.[:)]

hey gurrala,
i have polo diseal run around 2500km fe 13 - 14.
will you suggest a safe driving till 10000 km
since a drive verry crazily at morning time daily.
will this affect my fe in future?

Kush,

OK, Whatever I follow with my car I will tell you, but it is just my practice[:)]

I feel 1000km to 3000km can be a run-in period for a petrol car, but for diesel I feel 10000km as run-in period with various factors and also with the 3rd free service finished on my car. So for any car till 3rd service can be treated as run-in period and take due care.

1. Start the car in the morning and keep it idle for 1min to 2 min without any movement. This depends on my mood !!
2. Move gently with 1st gear and don rev, hard. change gears appropriately according to what is specified in the manual or as per rpm.
3. I normally drive between 60 to 80 kmph on a open road and 100 max on highway
4. I never do sudden braking and avoid frequent change of gears. Rather I look on the road for any obstacle like some other vehicle or a speedbreaker or a path hole and reduce the speed by de-accelerating and not with breaks every time.
5. See that you do not put your leg on clutch always and drive, use clutch minimum. Because I have noticed with lot of people if they want to break after 5 to 10 seconds, first they will press clutch on any speed, this is not correct first use the break to reduce the speed or if you have safe distance allow the car to slowdown on its own and use clutch only to change the gear or in bumper to bumper situation whenever it is necessary
6. I always try and use same petrol pump and that to be company maintained one
7. I switch off the car and come out and stand while fuel filling to avoid theft of fuel
8. Use A/C as and when require and switch it of if fresh air is available
9. Strictly maintain the service intervals.
10. I get wheel balance alignment for every 5000km which is apart from service interval.
11. Check the tyre pressure once in 15 days and correct it according to what is given in manual of car and never allow the filling guy to use his own judgement
12. When car is fully loaded, I will not push her harshly, but push little gently which gives her to a space to breath properly.
13. After parking the car back, I leave it idle engine running for a minute or two and switch off.

Last but not least, I will never move my car without wearing seat belts, whatever is the distance may be.

Hope these things will help you to keep your car intact. These are simple things to do and a little determination in the beginning and you will get habituated with them[:)]

hey gurrala
many thanks
of above i only have 5 and 6
but will make sure to do as much as 14 of above.
but what a great writing skill thanks again

Many Thanks RK,
you have mentioned very simple but most important points, which will definitely help the engine in long run.
In my cars manual also it mentioned as while starting & stopping engine it should be running idle at least for 30 secs. I understand its for life of engine bur how does that help exaxtly, any idea?
while starting, understood that the engine is cold, and we give sm time for free movement of parts before actually putting in gears. but how does that makes sense while stopping engine?

@Sandip,

It is quite common in our country that you take any product either it is car or a music system or a oven everything comes with a beautifully written manual spending lot of days on it, but pitiest thing is nobody really looks into it and throw it away somewhere and start operating it completely reverse to what is written in manual and start complaining about he product when in trouble. Similarly most of the times people complain about the FE of a car and bash the brand and service center, but never put their head in to manual at all. But believe me I have seen with my own eyes in other countries product manuals are treated like bibles and everybody follow them and keep the product intact.

Coming to your question of why we need to idle before switching off, though I am not a Automobile engineer, but I will try to answer it in my own way being a mech engineer.

When a car runs for longer time where all the body is heated up and all the parts are busy doing their job, so before switching off they are tired and give the some time to become stable and breath a bit before shutting their mouth[:)]

Hope I am not going OT on the thread[surprise]

Toyota Etios Liva Petrol
10 - 11 kmpl ( with 100% AC in mixed conditions ) [anger]

Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel
17 kmpl ( with 100% AC, jack rabbit start and high speed driving ) :biggrin:

Top Bottom