Front Bull Bars / Crash Guard – Yes or No?

Do You Prefer Installing Front Guards?

• Total voters
Re: Front Bull Bars / Crash Guard – Yes or No?

I am surprised to hear that air bags don't work because of crash guards? The company outlet themselves sell crash guards and air bag in Indian cars have you ever seen a car that glow air bag during accident?
Most of the crash guards sold by the company outlets are not by the company themselves, but are by the dealerships to earn some extra money. And why would these guys care about your life and safety, when they are generating additional revenue...

In the event of a frontal collision, the bonnet of a car is designed to deform (crumple) and transfer/absorb all the forces of the collision. This happens when the entire front end of the car comes in contact with the colliding object.

A typical crash guard is bolted on to the chassis of the car. When it collides with an object, rather than transferring the collision force onto the body of the car, it accumulates the entire force into a single point, which is the chassis of the car, thereby causing greater damage. Also, since the guard is not design to crumple on impact, the forces are not transferred to the body and in many cases, the airbags dont deflate.

You may read the following articles:

Bullbars | Australasian College of Road Safety

Bullbars (Factsheet 22) | NZ Transport Agency

Most of the crash guards sold by the company outlets are not by the company themselves, but are by the dealerships to earn some extra money. And why would these guys care about your life and safety, when they are generating additional revenue...

In the event of a frontal collision, the bonnet of a car is designed to deform (crumple) and transfer/absorb all the forces of the collision. This happens when the entire front end of the car comes in contact with the colliding object.

A typical crash guard is bolted on to the chassis of the car. When it collides with an object, rather than transferring the collision force onto the body of the car, it accumulates the entire force into a single point, which is the chassis of the car, thereby causing greater damage. Also, since the guard is not design to crumple on impact, the forces are not transferred to the body and in many cases, the airbags dont deflate.

You may read the following articles:

Bullbars | Australasian College of Road Safety

Bullbars (Factsheet 22) | NZ Transport Agency
Hey raj_5004,

I think the heavy bumper guards should not be fixed as per your link on australian site. I will suggest to go in for medium sized guard which can protect from bikers in bumper to bumper traffic. My car has been saved many times from bikers who always have floppy brakes and hit the car from behind. I think rear guards are must. I see lot of cars with broken or dented rear bumpers that could be avoided by just fixing a guard. I myself has replaced twice the rear bumper of my previous car Figo because of the biker hit and ran away.[frustration]

A big NO.
Not only the structural integrity is compromised, it also hampers the proper functioning of AirBags system.

And, also we all know that even small-small strokes can break the heaviest of the rock, the small-small impacts on these guards will do the same effect on the chassis of the car. So, better bear a few scar marks [frustration] on the bumpers than dents on the chassis.

As much I did not like it, I have just installed in my Ertiga. It is a must to protect the car from the scumbags in daily traffic. I know it might sound like nonsense logic but I would stand by it and will surely say my next MPV/SUV will have these too.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Indian government BANS bull-bars on cars and SUVs: Serious action to start soon

Bullbar-Banned-in-India.jpg

The government’s Ministry of Highways and Road Transport (MORTH) has just banned bull-bars on cars and SUVs running on roads of India. The ministry has sent out a letter to the transport commissioners of all the states of the country, urging them to act against those vehicles running bull-bars.
Source

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Good move by the authorities there. Not only do they look ugly and obstruct the airbag sensors in lot of cases, they are also a simple waste of money for me. Does this notification also ban the selling of bull bars as accessories by the dealers? Great share Shikhar!

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Good move by the authorities there. Not only do they look ugly and obstruct the airbag sensors in lot of cases, they are also a simple waste of money for me. Does this notification also ban the selling of bull bars as accessories by the dealers? Great share Shikhar!

Regards

Akash
they should be stopped at dealer level too.
i have seen huge iron bars on taxis being used as crash guard[frustration] those should definitely go. they make 2 holes in the bumper , install these iron bars and think it will save the bumpers. morons damaging the new bumper too avoid damaging it in future.

anyways , when i went to kashmeri gate market to get some parts for my verna , i saw a new s cross owner installing bull bars. i congratulate him for the car but i was confused if i should tell him about the airbags issue with the bull bars or not since he already has spent so much on the bars , i still decided to tell him that airbags won't open in case of a mishap. told him not to get these for his future cars , he was understanding and said thanks for letting him know. rest his choice.

[/URL]
Good move, but what about neta's SUV's? Where the bull bars are used to tie party flags etc.

Hope it's made compulsory to remove the bumper guards on small cars too.

Regards
Vinod

Ajanta and M-Tek will loose half of their business. [;)]

Good move, but what about neta's SUV's? Where the bull bars are used to tie party flags etc.

Hope it's made compulsory to remove the bumper guards on small cars too.

Regards
Vinod
People violate rules in their personal capacity.

The rule does not state any specific exclusions. Unless stated explicitly, it's for everyone and every vehicle within geographic boundaries of Republic of India.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Update

RANCHI: Vehicles caught with crash guards will be fined up to Rs 3,000, the district transport office said. The district transport officer (DTO) has issued a public notice asking all owners of such vehicles to comply with the Central government rule and remove the crash guards within one week's time. Crash guards include bumper guards in cars and any form of guards on two-wheelers.

Section 52 of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, prohibits any kind of alteration to motor vehicles which includes installation of crash guards. This will not just cover bumper guards on cars but also the guard installed on scooters and bikes.
Link

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom