Front Bull Bars / Crash Guard – Yes or No?

Do You Prefer Installing Front Guards?

• Total voters
No way. While they do help in avoiding scratches/dents and in some cases also improve the looks of the SUV (yet to see a car with a good looking nudge guard!), they also increase the weight of the vehicle and in the event of a crash, could also play havoc with the chassis. Never play with physics unless you know what you are doing !

hmmm most of the cars which are on sale in europe have ncap pedestrian tests done on them,like swift ,punto,honda crv,etc when you add a bull guard you can throw all of that out of the window,I remember seeing a pic of a tat sumo where the bull bars had torn through the bonnet & had bent the car in a weird way,so i am not in for it.But the CarryBoy ones seem to be of a good design having a calculated strength.

i was not in favor before but now in the Xylo, its been fitted and yes it does help in low speed city. no worries, just smash anyone in the way. :biggrin:[evil]

Older cars use to look good with these crash guards like maruti 800,zen, omni.
I say yes for some cars like Bolero,Scorpio,Sumo etc.

I have it in my car,it has saved me from many dents on the bumper, also helped me to fix the fog lamps.

But for new cars it will ruin the looks.

I'm a bit confused. If these bull bars are connected to chassis and in a major accident it would affect the chassis. Then, chassis is the strongest part of a car. Wouldn't it improve the crash worthiness of the car? You won't be crushed within the vehicle when hitting a truck or bus or even a tree. Chassis would be damaged, but life is important too right?

Please explain regarding this matter.

I too decided against the bull bar /nudge guard. I too agree that it may be helpful in case of minor-low speed impacts. However it may be lethal at high speeds.

Older cars use to look good with these crash guards like maruti 800,zen, omni.
I say yes for some cars like Bolero,Scorpio,Sumo etc.
I have it in my car,it has saved me from many dents on the bumper, also helped me to fix the fog lamps.
But for new cars it will ruin the looks.
:agree: I have it on my zen , it helped me to have Hella fog lamps.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Re: Front Bull Bars / Crash Guard – Yes or No?

I'm a bit confused. If these bull bars are connected to chassis and in a major accident it would affect the chassis. Then, chassis is the strongest part of a car. Wouldn't it improve the crash worthiness of the car? You won't be crushed within the vehicle when hitting a truck or bus or even a tree. Chassis would be damaged, but life is important too right?

Please explain regarding this matter.
It will make the crumple zone non-existant. All impact will be carried directly to the chassis.

Crash guards may save the bumper of your cars at low speeds, but these same crash guards can take your life at higher speeds.

It horribly messes up with the crumple zone of your car and in cars with airbags, they may not allow the airbags to inflate.

So it's upto the owner to decide what is more important - his car's bumper or his life.

I am surprised to hear that air bags don't work because of crash guards? The company outlet themselves sell crash guards and air bag in Indian cars have you ever seen a car that glow air bag during accident?

Top Bottom