Fortuner Boot Camp: Ready for Serious Off-Roading?

the stone flew from the adjacent car's tyre.

i am going OT, but its an open secret that toyota's body panels are wafer thin. i dont know about the fortuner, but this is true for the corolla & innova. to check this, you just need to lean SLIGHTLY on the side panels or fenders & the panel will click in & out like a wafer, infact like a plastic sheet!

why is this so? maybe to improve fuel efficiency by reducing weight but definitely not to improve safety, as in, crumpling capability. same goes for the paint!

Mods sorry for continuing OT! Yeah Raj i have felt the thin bonnet and fenders of an Innova myself. My dad's friend owns one and when i just leant on the fender while having a chat with him , the fender just went inside and popped out as soon as i stood again! Even my Verna has a better body structure!!

i wish i had a fortuner. but as far as i have heard fortuner is not a great offroader.
As per me Fortuner is very capable off-roader. It's power deivery is very smooth.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

Fortuner ready for climb:

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

YouTube - ‪Toyota Fortuner coming down hill.MPG‬‎

It's climbing up in AWD mode only

YouTube - ‪Toyota Fortuner going up hill.MPG‬‎

PS: I also own and off-road in Force Gurkha, and guess I know at least some amount about off-road, hence dared to make the statement that "Fortuner is capable Off-roader for the purpose it is"

Thread Starter #19

350Z

Core Team
Some interesting pictures and videos there. Tell us more about your ownership and off-road experiences with Fortuner and Gurkha in another new thread. Welcome to The Automotive India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey welcome to TAI , why not share more about your Fortuner with us. Even i do agree Fortuner is a good off-roader but it lacks the sophistication and features for that price. In short not much VFM but a great car to own for off-roading.

I recently went to a trip to corbett, where we had to cross rivers. The gypsy had to be put in 4L but fortuner was able to make it in AWD easily.

Though initially I had engaged 4L since my wife was driving it. There was one attempt where water was on bonnet but still it did not bothered Fortuner.

YouTube - ‪Fog under water.MPG‬‎

The below video, the vehicle is fully loaded with adults and kids and with A/C on - not breaking sweat even once and the ride was comfortable.

YouTube - ‪Anu driving Fortuner thru water .MPG‬‎
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Qcf3N2kag&NR=1

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
Please post an ownership review of the Gurkha.

@ cool
He doesnt have a Fortuner.

Hey thats great to see that the Fortuner is a great off-roader. I feel this is nothing but the stripped down Prado!

Please post an ownership review of the Gurkha.

@ cool
He doesnt have a Fortuner.
If Cool was referring towards me, then sir I have One. Already driven down to Mumbai twice, it was present in EXAMM event in Lonavala and Swarasai.

With the money one is paying for fortuner it just does not disappoints. As you see I went offroading with Pajero and at places where Pajero would huff it would be up in seconds. I am not demeaning Pajero have great respect for that vehicle but then at times power and torque number speaks.

I drove from Delhi to Shirdi straight without any halt that too unfortunately via NH3 and Fortuner behaved very well and got an average of 12 on city.

Guess I would stop myself here, as we are discussing Off-road manners of Fortuner rather than on road!

Regards
Rahul

Hey Rahul so you do own a Fortuner! Great , then can you explain more about your Fortuner with an ownership report?

I recently went to a trip to corbett, where we had to cross rivers. The gypsy had to be put in 4L but fortuner was able to make it in AWD easily.

Though initially I had engaged 4L since my wife was driving it. There was one attempt where water was on bonnet but still it did not bothered Fortuner.

YouTube - ‪Fog under water.MPG‬‎

The below video, the vehicle is fully loaded with adults and kids and with A/C on - not breaking sweat even once and the ride was comfortable.

YouTube - ‪Anu driving Fortuner thru water .MPG‬‎
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Qcf3N2kag&NR=1
Welcome to TAI Rhandle.
Nice machine you own.
But engaging in 4WD low would have worked wonder's on the up hill specially, is my view.

Last edited:
Welcome to TAI Rhandle.
Nice machine you own.
But engaging in 4WD low would have worked wonder's on the up hill specially, is my view.
Yes 4 L definately helps, but I was checking its AWD capabilities.

The only grouse is that this vehicle does not has crawl abilities like that of Gurkha[evil]

Yes 4 L definately helps, but I was checking its AWD capabilities.

The only grouse is that this vehicle does not has crawl abilities like that of Gurkha[evil]
But the AWD in the video the car came back.
When in 4Wd low will offer you better traction without car rolling back.

But the AWD in the video the car came back.
When in 4Wd low will offer you better traction without car rolling back.

Sir the car climbed up in AWD only. First time when it rolled back was because there was no acceleration given. It was moving up on its own torque.[thumbsup]

Top Bottom