Ford's Extended Warranty: A Beautiful SCAM!!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi folks,

I Own a Ford Figo Titanium (Diesel) bought on 21st Dec 2013 from Kings Ford, Piplod (Surat) with Extended warranty for additional 1 year apart from basic 2 year warranty. Warranty expires on 20th Dec 2016. KMS Driven : 57000 approx.

Everything was fine until recently i discovered some noise arising from front side often and while driving through rough road the sound would be very evident. Since i had done the Periodic Maintenance Service very recently I checked for any visible loose parts which is making noise but nothing was there.

Then one fine morning I decided to drive into service center for further analysis. There i was assisted with a drive test and the report came out to be suspension problem along with additional noise from engine. They asked time for detailed analysis for exact report. (May be time taken to think and put some bill on my head).

Atlast they called in the eve to tell me a list of problems including Suspension failure, Compressor belt worn out, some support is weak etc and said the estimated bill would be Rs.18,000/- Only. (I was about to faint. It was like i went to doctor for normal cold and i was diagnosed with TB, Heart atk, pneumonia & HBP etc) .

I told them my vehicle is covered under extended warranty for which his immediate response was "Suspension is a wear and tear part and not covered under warranty".

Wow... Expected..

Here comes the best part, I take them to their notice board and show them their pamphlet regarding FORD extended warranty which reads all mechanical/electrical failure including but not limited to engine, steering, brakes, SUSPENSION, air conditioning etc. (See attached image)

After reading much carefully he said, "Suspension is a wear and tear part and not covered under warranty". I was like "OK let me talk to your customer care".

And next sad part is to deal with their customer care. Really slow and painstaking when it comes to response. For each mail/call i have to wait for hours. And for every call i made the guy would respond "Sir, I have raised this issue and my technical person will call you". I think this was the only sentence said to him as a part of his job description. LOL.

Anyways that technical person called me twice and tried his level best to make me pay for this part.
Firstly,
He: Our warranty terms and conditions does not cover suspension.
Me: What does the last para in this warranty deal says. Doesn't it says suspension is covered?
He: (Quiet for sometime.)

Secondly,
He: Sir, your vehicle has crossed 40K kms so out of coverage.
Me: See the options table, Doesn't it say 36Month/100K kms? I haven't crossed any of these two condition.
He: (Quiet for sometime.)

Thirdly,
He: (After much thinking) Sir, This Suspension coverage written here is only for basic warranty period not on extended warranty period.
Me: (Ok Nice try) Can you please look at the main heading this sheet? It reads "FORD Extended warranty" and all that is written below is regarding extended warranty.
He: (Quiet for sometime & Gave up) Sir I'll take up this matter and will call you back shortly.

That shortly never ever comes until i call back. And my vehicle is lying over there for past 4 days with no one to care.

Such a careless replies for my concern and their only intention is to take money from me as the warranty is about to expire and they dont want to give me the warranty advantage.

Folks, think twice before taking any additional products and offers from FORD they might be having something inside. Have a clear word from your dealer before you buy your car like what is covered and what not.

Fingers crossed to get this solved by tomorrow. Let you guys know the outcome.

Attachments

If I am not wrong then suspension is normally never covered under warranty. Now if anyone takes his Figo rallying on a rough road then suspension will definitely fail.

Then what they cover under warranty? Any kind of manufacturing defect in suspension system (very low probability) which results in a failure. Else in case of regular wear and tear; suspension, brakes, clutch etc aren't covered under warranty.

Try your luck, your argument seems to be really solid and that technical person seems to have failed your litmus paper test.

Worst case what is covered under warranty is the Springs (breakage) and shock absorbers (oil leak or poor damping). All the rubber mountings will be out of warranty coverage.

What was the source of noise? Most cases it will be from the rubber mountings (upper bush, link bush or the ARB connecting roads)

Suspension is covered under normal warranty and extended warranty in Maruti cars, so there is no chance that it is not covered in Ford.Clutch is the one that they don't cover. The only problem is the usage, if you had used the car for any type of promotional or speeding programs. I think you must fight tooth and nail.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I do not know about ford, but
Mahindra covers Shocks under warranty. Also anything related to engine is FULLY covered in warranty.

If the suspension item is other than Shocks, it is called wear & tear and may not be covered in warranty (Like bushings, Rod ends, Ball joints etc). Please upload their Diagnostic report so that we can see what exactly parts have failed.

Can you confirm once again if it covers all suspension parts?
My Ritz had a problem in the fourth year, with the stabilizer bar and it was changed under extended warranty. As of now I do not have the exact booklet, so can't say anything else.

Thread Starter #9
All of the ford executives who have spoken says the same word "Suspension not covered under warranty".
And when asked about the pamphlet about suspension (attached image in my post) they keep mum and again repeat " Suspension does n...... ".

Fed up with these guys..

Thanks for your reply guys. It was good to hear from You people.

The problems listed by him are shock absorberx2, linkx2, front lower armx2, tie rod endx2 for which the bill is around 15540INR

Thanks guys for ur suggestion and advices..
Ford is very adament abt their statement. May be they talk to each other to be on same line.
Now the dealer is telling to change shock absorber, link, lower arm, tie rod end all in pair.. and compressor is giving noise so may be new compressor.. i am not sure what he is gonna say tomorrow..

Is there any way to escalate the issue? Can i get anurag mehrotra's mail ID?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the dealer is telling to change shock absorber, link, lower arm, tie rod end all in pair.. and compressor is giving noise so may be new compressor.. i am not sure what he is gonna say tomorrow..
Ask them to prove by swap analysis (each and every part from your car in another OK car, one by one to understand which part is culprit)

My Friend's Hyundai verna's 4 suspension setups were replaced just 2 weeks back .
As the 4 suspension setup was completely replaced we had asked them to change the connecting rod also.
The cost incurred was just for the oil change and normal service bill.
The brake Master cylinder had an issue also ,it was also covered under warranty.
The clutch is becoming hard nowadays,the service advisor had told the master sleeve can be covered under warranty,while the Clutch plates and other component will be from our pocket.

It depends on your negotiation power with Service staffs.

If the Service Centre is avoiding to replace the parts under warranty, try another Ford Service Centre. If even the 2nd Service Centre avoids to honour warranty, just take the car to Friendly Neighbourhood Garage (FNG). The FNG will diagnose the problem correctly and will be way cheaper than FASC.

EDIT:- I am advising you to take your car to FNG as the Customer Care is not helping you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Guys, finally taking this issue to Anurag Mehrotra really helped. This time they were quite serious in quoting the warranty terms and how suspension is not covered. But as a gesture of goodwill they gave 50% discount on total bill amount.

I'm a bit relaxed that my negotiation atleast bought this.

@yassercres Thanks for the update. So, what is the meaning of including suspension in extended warranty ? Is is for specific items in suspension or was a mistake ? Any solid statement from their side ?

Top Bottom