Ford Figo: Story of a Defective LEMON (1.2 Years of Stressful Ownership)

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

My figo was booked in February 2010. The booking process was quite smooth and so was the dealerships attitude(Bhavna FORD) by promising to attach at least some freebies in such a hot selling car and give me the best quote in whole Mumbai/Navi Mumbai area.

The Figo was delivered on time as it was promised, precisely on 1st June 2010. it was a birthday present gifted to me by mom.

The initial excitement of having procured my own car (though as a gift by mom) kept me satisfied with the purchase and me was happy too... albeit for sometime only !

The nightmare soon started. it was after one month of purchase in July few problems started to occur in the car. i was quite unnerved by the overall thought of having bought a car after paying such a huge sum and yet it getting little mischievous in so little time.

Took the car soon to the trusted Wasan FORD (Deonar, Mumbai) and explained them the issues that i was facing after my first month of purchase. Never knew this same "Wasan Ford dealership" would end up becoming my second home with me sharing very good love/hate relationship with their representatives based on my particular interactions with respect to the problems that simply kept on growing along with my aging car (Prematurely though!). sometimes it was cordial and sometimes it did get UGLY. not that much of a problem though, they are not robots hired by Ford, and sometimes they might have not liked their work to be focused around just one car belonging to one person, who just kept on coming with complaints (me).

Enough of the prelude...

Let me make you aware of the problem that are currently making my life much worse than hell, and sometimes also provoking me to file a legal suit against Ford INDIA for selling such a substandard product in the name of 'Value for money' proposition.

In past 18 Months, I have faced most of the complaints that i could have only accrued knowledge about after going through many different forums

let me just brief some here: (i am excluding the common FIGO issues here though, as FORD is yet to come up with solutions for them. for example, Scraping, Headlight low visibility etc.)

1: Squeaking sound from Rear portion of the car --->

it got rectified only after 5 times they performed repairs on it and failing. Replacement worked!

2: Gear Lever being too hard --->

Its still worse than their own test drive vehicle which has already ran for 30,000kms and mine is just 23,200kms old. kindly note i have been complaining about the same from the very first month of purchase. Gear Mass was lubricated last time (dont know what it is though)

3: Mist & Fog composition in Headlamps --->

Was provided replacement for the same.

4: Rattling noises from dashboard, steering area, rear seats, front speaker compartments --->

got it rectified finally but only after repeated attempts by Wasan FORD (with little screw being tightened by FORD on this matter).

5: Mis-Alignment of bumper after accident repair job performed, Paint mis-match, lots of free DENTS as gift from dealership itself, seat-belt lock was broken, pinholes formed on all paint job done, paint peeling off from car`s exterior, paint bubble formation.. they are just too many related to paint especially... --->

whenever these problems occurred and were reported, they were attended to. Some got fixed, and some i am still living with :)

6: Soft Brakes --->

Dealership is not acknowledging it, cant make them understand.
have left any hope on getting it rectified. may be figo`s are built with dumb brakes.

7: Ac Cooling not optimally --->

Got it rectified after they did some cleaning etc. I dont exactly know a technical term for that.

8: Hitch Hitch Hitch sound from space between the door and roof on driver side --->

at first, Ford simply didn't acknowledge it. most of it due to interference of Mr.Kalra (regional manager in that time) and his stern warning to the dealership to not to give in to any of my complaints, unless they are way too prominent to becomes a issue for FORD in the later period. but the dealership, at that time still performed the job on my insistence and got it rectified (yeah, wasan helped here).

9: Bad Pickupwas notified --->

ECU was reset, me still not happy with the pickup of the car, but again may be its how FIGO is built.

10: SOUND coming after pressing brakes, clutch and handbrake --->

Still exists and got it acknowledged today itself by ford SA

11: Rear washer failed twice --->

Got it replaced/repaired same number of times.

12: Water Leakage from right rear door-beadings and driver`s footwell --->

Got it repaired after 2 visits at Wasan Ford

13: Horn gone bad (twice) --->

Replaced once, will ask for the same again now

14:
Suspensions making noise, they still do, but FORD said today the source are Handbrakes now --->

This especially happens when 2 or 3 people try sitting in the car and when they get up, somehow exerting and releasing the pressure on the shock absorbers. but still, the FORD`s SA was adamant its a handbrake cable problem and will try to rectify it next time i give my car at dealership (on monday, 3rd OCT 2011), not sure if i should give my car to them now though... also it happened earlier while going over humps..

15: Most CRITICAL one... Handbrake failure (still persists after making complaints in first few months of purchase and again numerous times and yet today it was acknowledged by FORD`s SA on 1st OCT 2011 in writing of still existing) --->

a problem so old and life threatening, somehow still finds its presence in our lives. seriously shame on FORD for this one and the brake issue.

16: Front Driver Seat had loose bolts. lost its position on its own while driving and i was freaking that close to DEATH ! --->

Bolts were tightened and it never happened again. But yeah, it still sends shivers down my spine.

17:
Air Bag Safety Light ON --->

Happened 3 times, still does intermittently. have already sent pictures to Wasan Ford as proof. they did something they say, but still happens sometimes on its own.

18: Foul Smell from AC --->

Cleaning helped!

19: Left rear door making noise when someone sits --->

Was resolved after boiled down to the defective position of the levers in lock and the space provided in the car`s fitment for lock to attach on.

20: KHAS KHAS sound when car starts ALTERNATOR belt issue --->

no acknowledgement of the same when given for rectification, however today the FORD`s SA agreed its an fault with the alternator BELT!!!

21: My car doesn't only scrape but bottoms out the chassis with a nice thud sound --->

the car just used to scrape earlier. Now the lower portion simply hits, by hits I mean a loud thud noise comes from the underbelly of the car making it a daunting task to drive this cars thanks to the deadly combination of pathetic road conditions and ford figo's substandard quality of suspension system installed. PROVED it to the Ford`s SA and he agreed reluctantly.

Earlier he said that the speed breaker is uneven, that's why such a scathing thud on the chassis, later took him to panvel for another joy ride over humps... He clearly saw a swift and indica filled with lot many people getting over the hump easily... And ours Thumped like a bass machine. it pained me... it’s my money’s worth that`s getting thumped from below!

so in his report he writes.. One pothole was uneven (thane belapur and reluctantly write 2 as normal when i persist and ask him logic behind such theory)

21: Front right door lock has failed now --->

Can be opened only from inside, not outside. Tried opening manually and automatically... FAILED! Ford`s SA acknowledged today.

There are many more issues... Just please go through the multiupload link attached here at the end of this post.

i have attached a .zip file containing my vehicles history, a set of mails that I’d sent to ford for help, the current issue that my car`s stuck on, the acknowledgement by FORD`s SA as of today etc. etc..

somehow after having 6hrs of driving (126kms) today (from vashi to thane, then to JNPT and then to Panvel) to convince FORD`s SA of the existence of issues that I’d raised complaint for, has totally left me drained out and certainly with my above post i clearly have missed on writing with my usual flare, but what to do ? i feel like being brain-dead now !

sorry for the inconvenience guys..

Have I been served a LEMON here ?

http://www.multiupload.com/QMQ30NNFXS

Re: FORD FIGO: Story of a Defective LEMON (1.2yrs of stressful ownership)

Dinesh_Malhotra welcome to TAI

21 problem , looks like you have got a very bad car. Some of the issues you have mentioned are very serious.

How much you had spent on all these repairs or you got job done under warranty ?
How you done any complaint to ford customer care ?

@ Dinesh, first of all very sorry to hear about your Figo problems. My friends do own the same car but apart from minor niggles, there has been no major complaints. This is a sure case of lemon to your bad luck! Please do write to Ford In
dia directly describing your issues. Good luck.

Keeping so much of issues and still driving? its time to ask for an replacement.Yes its very important to write to ford directly.

Sorry to hear about your issues. In the US, FORD (in the reverse meant - DROF - Driver return on Foot) and in your case it's almost happened.
Please document all your trips and conversations with your dealer and communicate directly with Ford. I am sure they will find a solution which will satisfy you.
I understand all the excitement and thrill of owning a new car has gone down the drain and now you can atleast make them pay. Ask to speak to a senior executive at Ford and please update us on any developments in your case.

Thread Starter #6

Dinesh_Malhotra welcome to TAI

21 problem , looks like you have got a very bad car. Some of the issues you have mentioned are very serious.

How much you had spent on all these repairs or you got job done under warranty ?
How you done any complaint to ford customer care ?
Yep.. its a defective unit produced by FORD INDIA.
not only serious, but there were times when i had near death experience due to the same.

all repair etc done under warranty but i did lose out on my time, schedule and me

i am already in contact with FORD INDIA. they say they`ll repair then do something and the problem still persists.

@ Dinesh, first of all very sorry to hear about your Figo problems. My friends do own the same car but apart from minor niggles, there has been no major complaints. This is a sure case of lemon to your bad luck! Please do write to Ford In
dia directly describing your issues. Good luck.
Written to FORD already.. FORD is washing its hands off !

Keeping so much of issues and still driving? its time to ask for an replacement.Yes its very important to write to ford directly.
Did that already. FORD not ready for replacement.

Sorry to hear about your issues. In the US, FORD (in the reverse meant - DROF - Driver return on Foot) and in your case it's almost happened.
Please document all your trips and conversations with your dealer and communicate directly with Ford. I am sure they will find a solution which will satisfy you.
I understand all the excitement and thrill of owning a new car has gone down the drain and now you can atleast make them pay. Ask to speak to a senior executive at Ford and please update us on any developments in your case.
i`ll surely.. i think i have the only option of asking the INDIAN judiciary to help me on this now.

BTW
do
you guys have email ids or contact info of prominent people who could help me with my case.

in case u do, plz pm me :)

I already mentioned..Figo...is a cheap worthless car to make us fool.

First of all am not supporting any manufacturer or not against the affected person.

Don't decide based on just one car,

the thread started clearly stated that when he bought it it was good and later after 30 days all those 21 problem started.

all manufacturers do the quality check before and after integrating the car.
all dealers get the customers signature on the delivery note which says the car was inspected by the customer and delivered in good condition

@ Dinesh,

Take a day off from your duties and don't leave the ford guys till they fix your issue,
refer the car manual get the ford contact people details and do escalate to whom ever the top Ford official

their customer care desk number is 1-800 425-2500

Its really unfortunate that your figo is in such bad shape.

i took time and did checked so many stuffs "even at the dealer place they looked at me in weird way like looking at a psyco...", i inspected few of them and made sure the car i selected is a good one and made sure not been used for test drive. or not a spoiled brat.

why don't you try at another dealer for SVC, before going for service take your car and consult with a good local car mechanic because with their vast experience they can immediately tell you whats the issue and how to fix it

My Figo TDCI is 10 months and 8700 kms old
delivering 15 to 17 kmpl on city and
19 to 20 kmpl with A/C on long drive
and 20 to 23 or 24 with out A/C on long drive
issues which i faced are the under body kissing the arrogant speed breakers
the mud flaps are useless
headlamp focus.

sad to hear that you got a lemon.
Some of the reasons why i've cancelled the booking.
Please dont let Ford wash off their hands. Chase them and get replacement for the lemon.
FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
It is becoming true ..

Hi Dinesh: Sorry to hear about your issues. Its very unfortunate.

I too share few of your issues (in Bold), yet I feel this car isn't that bad as you think. But, these issues have made you to think that way, which anyone in your place would do.

I would strongly suggest you to either get all these fixed, or Replaced with a new one (which is 99% unlikely). Best of Luck.

1: Squeaking sound from Rear portion of the car --->

it got rectified only after 5 times they performed repairs on it and failing. Replacement worked!

I have visited Planet Ford, Pune (30 KMs one way from my place) at least 3 -4 times and they have been packing the rear door panels with some stuff. No luck yet. I should also have to ask for replacement.

BTW, did you have a look at the rear speakers? Is it the same as they displayed in the Accessory Shop of Ford?

2: Gear Lever being too hard --->

Its still worse than their own test drive vehicle which has already ran for 30,000kms and mine is just 23,200kms old. kindly note i have been complaining about the same from the very first month of purchase. Gear Mass was lubricated last time (dont know what it is though)

10: SOUND coming after pressing brakes

This is the case with many Figos around, including mine. Changed the brake pads under warranty.

11: Rear washer failed twice --->

I faced a strange, very strange issue sometime ago. Please refer this thread. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...75-malfunctioning-rear-wiper-washer-figo.html

However, never happened again.

21: My car doesn't only scrape but bottoms out the chassis with a nice thud sound --->

This is a common problem with Figo. Though, I have never faced it yet. Right Air Pressure in the Tyres and Sedate Driving is the solution.

Have I been served a LEMON here ? - Though, it makes us to think so, friendly dealership can make you to think otherwise. Good Luck. [thumbsup]

Hi Basis

Sorry that I should differ your point. Any strong rationale? And are you a Figo Owner?

Guys. Please no bashing up of cars and owners. Thread starter, IMO u are pulling it too much. Out of 21, only a few are Actually problems. Others are nothing. This is India and with the roads so good. Squeaks and rattles are very much unavoidable. And there is a reason Ford is fed up with you. Maybe u know that. Fix up the Big issues and stop cribbing.

Dinesh,

I can understand your state at this time. But as racerdabba has mentioned, some of the issues are not really very important focus on big issues and ask them to resolve based on priority (according to you). As MSN1 suggested sit there and ask them resolve them.

Seeking legal advise is also an option but since you are getting good satisfactory response from the dealer. I would not suggest that right now. See it is like your threshold level. At what level you call it enough is up to you.

Do not get disheartened and focus on main issue(s). I am sure you will be able to over come this difficult time.

All the best.

Thread Starter #14

UPDATE EVERYONE 3rd October 2011

Last night it was not at all easy for me to sleep. all this tension because of one car (my figo) and some grey hair`s popping out of my head at the age of 25 (my worst investment ever, figo), left me bit tensed and irked.
I guess i slept by 4:00am in the morning. usually it`s my mom or my business partner who gathers the guts to wake me up when i am tensed and have not completed my scheduled 8hrs duration of sleep, but today it was a bit different.

it was FORD India`s regional manager for west zone who`d called. He is a new guy assigned for this division and if i had the ability to judge people only by their voice, responses and promises, i would say this guy at the least sounded a bit concerned towards me. But my earlier experiences with FORD simply don't allow me to accept that the employees assigned by FORD would ever pay heed to consumers demand while accepting defeat on ford`s principle of "making fool of a customer'.

Anyways benefit of the doubt was given and i explained my whole scenario and problems and certain options that now ford could adhere to, to help me gather my trust back on FORD. (Earlier RM, Mr.Kalra was a horror though, different approach on phone, different one in front of dealership and weird in front of ford)

Detailed summary of Conversation on phone with Regional Manager:

Dear Regional Manager calls, greets me in a very nice tone and asks me, "how was the experience while having a check on the problems you`d mentioned, while taking a 126kms test drive with our Wasan Ford`s service advisors? (These advisors had visited me on behalf of ford on their instructions).

I was quick enough to remind him about the mail that I’d sent him on Saturday evening wherein I’d given a full report about my interactions with the service advisors, car`s test and how i got the acknowledgement of the issues by the advisors on paper, etc...

(Kahani main twist…)

RM informs me, “sir though you took their (SA`s) acknowledgement on paper, they are now simply refusing saying that they did not find any issues with your car (WTH!). And have instead requested us (ford India) to ‘still’ take a note of customer’s dissatisfaction (on humanitarian grounds of course) and do some cajoling & again some testing to make the customer happy. (Wasan Ford officials need to learn a few things about acknowledgement I guess)

I was like, seriously? Then why did they acknowledge that in the first place? Had I kept a knife on their throat to get those papers signed? So we just kept on driving for 126kms in a day, without any defects actually playing their untitled roles in the FORD FIGO saga?

The RM then requests me to give the car at Bhavna Ford, located at Navi Mumbai for rectification of atleast the Front RHS door side lock malfunctioning issue, so that I could atleast start using the car till FORD reaches to any conclusion with regards to my demands. In the meantime he also mentions that he has also arranged for an authorized FORD engineer to inspect my car and check for the notified issues. I again reminded him that as I have already taken acknowledgment from Wasan`s Service Advisors, who were authorized by him, I don’t think there`s a need for the same. He persists and I accept to give my car as soon as he can schedule the meet with the engineer, which by their headcount are limited in numbers and look after issues affecting ford cars and their owners in whole of Maharashtra.

Detailed happenings at Bhavna FORD, Navi Mumbai:

I reached there at 3:00PM. Ford`s RM in the mean had already asked someone to be ready with all the equipments to get my car door lock issue sorted out. Soon things went downhill from there, the simple door lock repair thing was diagnosed (finally after 3 retries, door fitment removal-reattaching procedures and 5 gruesome hours of me standing in front of the car while it was attended) to a faulty door lock motor and a faulty door lock mechanism module (it’s a giant module). Both were replaced.

Also I`d requested Bhavna Ford`s advisors to look into the front RHS winder (window) making nice thumping sound when rolled up or down and also the Rear Dicky (boot) door not locking.
Their guys again did a few things with the RHS window (lubrication with some hammer work) and also did some setting with the LOCK mechanism existing in the boot door latch.

Anyone who`s thinking what I meant by the module that FORD replaced today for the FRONT RHS door latch issue; It’s a very big module (15x5cms) that exists in all the FIGO, which plays a role of an receiver when you issue commands to your latch locks to get locked/unlocked manually or automatically. It also plays a major role in making sure that the PATS (ford`s vehicle security) system is in place and is functioning as it should, in the car.

so all in all even today a gold leaf has been attached in my erstwhile very long service history for a car that’s just 16 months old only (total of 18pages, god can only help if I ever decide to sell the car and the buyer asks me.. “Yeh Gaadi Panvati hai kya?” first year only and 18 pages of history)

I am sure till I reach expiration of my car`s warranty I would have faced most of the issues that any of the car may gather in its life in my ONE and only ONE FIGO in such a short time without actually changing that many cars in my lifetime.

What I am concerned about:

Fine, if and only if ford manages to rectify my car`s issues for this time, why should I still trust in them or in the car that the issues wont crop up again as they have been on a constant basis after repeated complaints, repairs etc. In fact problems like handbrake failure that even FORD guys acknowledged earlier and now, have been occurring on constant basis.
For eg: Handbrake failure issue attended 4 times till now. Handbrake fails me twice, my friend suresh once and my dad twice with us risking our lives on atleast in 2 incidents and we were sure shot dead in other 1 instance wherein the TEMPO guys swevered in the next lane at the right time, while our car was going downhill at a good speed when the handbrakes failed to apply at LONAVALA`s twisty TigerHill run…

PLEASE NOTE:

I really can’t judge if what`s he saying (The new ford regional manager wrt wasan`s SA thesis) is the truth, but my earlier experiences with Wasan`s so called managers and service advisors haven’t been that pleasant either, instead these have been filled with some real melodramatic episodes wherein, the service manager had requested me to not to complaint to ford for any of the defects or issues that may arise in my FIGO, so that he doesn’t lose his job and his family doesn’t go astray…

The service manager of wasan in fact had once told me on my face, “Dinesh ji aapko hamari haai (bad omen) in case you complain to Ford again for any lapses in our service or even for the defects that are coming prematurely in your car as ford degrades our dealership ratings”, further making Mr.Pappu Wasan (owner of wasan ford) angry and threatening me (wasan`s service head) of severe strict action if any complaints arise from your (Dinesh’s) side.

I used to reiterate to the person, that the car was purchased from ford and naturally I would ask them to intervene if I am not satisfied with the service or repair or anything in the product itself. But seriously with time I got so much fed up of these melodramatic situations that I would be subjected to face as soon as a write any mail or make call @ford for resolving my concern, I took this matter with FORD, but again it remained unresolved.

Thread Starter #15

Guys. Please no bashing up of cars and owners. Thread starter, IMO u are pulling it too much. Out of 21, only a few are Actually problems. Others are nothing. This is India and with the roads so good. Squeaks and rattles are very much unavoidable. And there is a reason Ford is fed up with you. Maybe u know that. Fix up the Big issues and stop cribbing.
Go through the service history buddy. If you really think i am pulling it too much, there`s no way i can make realize how much stress and torture this purchase has caused to me. problems are really subjective and I totally understand your perspective (try to understand mine too). I understand it is INDIA and things are not good here, but i stay @navi mumbai which is blessed with Palm beach marg and most of my commute happens from Vashi to belapur direct via palm beach marg expressways, simply doesnt let me believe that ROADs actually played a very crucial role in those squeaks from the car and also from shock absorbers.

even if these problems mean nothing to you, i would request you to kindly understand my point of view too :)

the high point is that after opening threads here and at other forum, i am amazed to see same problems existing in most of the FIGOs (even in their FB page) and yet FORD not doing anything about it.

its like.. someone is telling u in the face.. its INDIA live with it. sorry i dont want to !

Dinesh,

I can understand your state at this time. But as racerdabba has mentioned, some of the issues are not really very important focus on big issues and ask them to resolve based on priority (according to you). As MSN1 suggested sit there and ask them resolve them.

Seeking legal advise is also an option but since you are getting good satisfactory response from the dealer. I would not suggest that right now. See it is like your threshold level. At what level you call it enough is up to you.

Do not get disheartened and focus on main issue(s). I am sure you will be able to over come this difficult time.

All the best.
now where did i mention good satisfactory response from dealer ?
see i have mentioned most of the points here in this thread that matter at this time. if i go on writing all of my interactions with the dealer, trust me, its that murky that you`ll feel like suing the dealer for just causing so much harrasment to a consumer although you have nothing in this case to lose or gain.

i dont say ford in all is bad or good. but with me, the car`s that defective has been served, and so were the service and promises made by ford and its dealership with regards to QC were not maintained.

my mom has paid hard earned money for this thing and i would seek a proper resolution from ford for FINAL this time. done with this whole drama for the FIGO. i lost business, time and my peace because of this car. (not sayin you ppl dont use ur hard earned money or anythin else.. just dont want this thread to become an thread filled with supporters and opposers)

no offense intented to any of you.. and if any of you feel that.. i am deeply sorry.

take care and warm regards friends. it was nice sharing this part of my automotive purchase here. funny that it was my first post here

take care again

Top Bottom