Ford Figo Driven Without Oil For 500 Meters

Thread Starter #1
My car engine oil sump got damaged by a steel rod. Have to drive around 500meters to take it to a safe place. But by that time entire oil got drained. Got it towed by Ford RSA and vehicle is scheduled for complete check.

RSA guy has to start the engine to drive it out of ramp. Engine sounded very different and got me worried.

Any idea about the extent of damage? Will any parts in engine could have gotten damaged?[confused]

Re: Figo driven without oil for 500meters

i think engine sound change because of engine oil and i don't think 500 meters will do serious damage to car got it check soon as you can

Thread Starter #3
Thank you @joni_raipura. Car is already in the service station. waiting for complete check which could take couple of days.

Let me get this straight even after you sent it to service the guy started it?? Once you cracked the oil sump depending on rate of leakage you can drive it upto 2 mins. But once you stop the car, all oil which is stuck in cylinders will trickle down into the sump & go away in final drops. Now again if you start it then you can call that suicide.

At this point your engine will sound like a DI engine like those Mahindra jeeps. This is cause what your hearing is called cylinder slapping. If you heard this rough engine noise & drove for more than a min then its trouble.
After they install your new oil sump & fill in the oil they will do a compression test so till then you should have your fingers crossed.

I was in same situation couple of months ago but my drive once oil completely drained was barely 100 metres & stopped before i could hear serious cylinder slapping.As engine cooled down droplets of oil kept falling for an hour. So after this had i started engine then it would be a bad thing.But i took my own sweet time & had it towed & strictly told them not to start the car. Car is running perfect now. No difference!

I guess you should chill. You know, me too cracked the oil sump on a Beat. It sounded like a tum tum (the Tata Ace and Piaggio Apé). We HAD to drive it home, and it seized midway. Called nearby mechanic, he changed the bearing and things. It suffered a turbo fail shortly after, which was replaced under warranty. And we drove it ~2 kms. When we saw the place where we cracked the sump... Think of a LOT of oil on rainwater-filled potholes on a sort road. Check what the service guys have to say.I was charged ₹6000, because the engine thankfully didn't seize. Can't remember what exactly he replaced, but the price I remember correctly.

Hope I helped.

EDIT: Is that a petrol or diesel? Mine is a diesel.

Last edited:
Same thing happened with me three year back .While i was moving early morning out of down following a bus on a bad road full of huge potholes and uneven surface .

I lost my concentration for a moment and my wagon r jumped on a huge uneven surface. Since i was belted i came out scratch less but cars oil filter ended up taking impact and started leaking oil .

NOW i was in dilemma that whether I shall wait for some kind of assistance or should I move ahead to reach a safe spot .I was pretty much aware of the consequences going to happen with the engine if it is fired up . But being stranded at a desolate state at 5 am which was notorious for robbery and loots on that highway . I ended up driving for close to 8 km till i reach a safe spot which was a petrol pump .

It was not a surprise for me that the engine was seized. Till I made it to the pump .Later on called maruti guys who towed my car back to the city and gave my estimate for repairs
which took a month and costed 20 k .

Last edited:

Top Bottom