Ford EcoSport 1.5L Diesel, Trend Variant - The Machine I Love

Thread Starter #1
There have been a lot of ownership reviews on the New Ford Ecosport and I have been going through them for a while. Before I start my review I would like to thank all those who have taken the pain to share their ownership experiences that has help me and many others in making their decisions and also keeping the spirits high in times of the never ending wait. I consciously would not want to discuss in detail the run up to the decision for buying the Ecosport but would like to dwell more on the car and more in relation to the TREND Variant in this review.

I was not actively looking for a car as my plan was to replace my erstwhile 2009 Zen Estilo only next year as it completes 5 years and to upgrade to a sedan which had more space and comfort. But the Ecosport fever caught me ever since the media drive reviews started coming. And yes, I decided to book the car once the price was announced. Initially I booked an Ecoboost Titanium variant but immediately changed to 1.5D TREND variant. The reason for the change was the running cost and the details are given in my separate thread here.

Booked with Chennai Ford on 13th July and got my vehicle delivered on the 26th of October. The wait was the most painful one and I did visit the showroom as often as I could. After the first week of October I started making visits to the showroom atleast twice a week to ensure that I get my car on time (3 months as committed by the dealer). Also shot a few mails to the Fords customer care mail IDs and they were also followed up. Did have some responses from them as well and they even called me to confirm whether I had taken the delivery. The car being an instant success, I could understand that Ford had to work hard to deliver the goods on time. But however, I seriously feel that the entire booking and delivery process could have been managed in a much better manner. It was as if we were at the mercy of the dealers and there was complete lack of clarity. And I am confident that people who had the influence or money were able to jump the queue.

But to all who are yet to take their deliveries; the memories of the long wait will all fade away the moment you hear from the dealer that your car is on its way. And it will be a sheer pleasure to have your hand on the machine.

001 ES.jpg

001 ES1.jpg

Cost:

The total on road cost was Rs.941013 after the accessories that were taken from the dealer. The extended warranty was not taken and the insurance (Bumper – bumper & nil depreciation) was taken by me online from Royal Sundaram thus saving around Rs. 7000. The insurance also includes the FREE MyTVS Kit for one year. The essential accessory kit was not also taken from the dealer. The other additions that I made to the car are listed separately in the review.

001 ES2.jpg

001 Side Profile1.jpg

001 Side Profile2.jpg

001 Side Profile3.jpg

001 Side Profile4.jpg

001 Side Profile5.jpg

The reasons why I chose to go for the Trend variant are listed below. All of the features listed below were not available in the Ambiente variant and were deal breakers for me for not taking the Ambiente variant (I am using the past tense here as Ford can keep changing the features often and this review is based on what was there when I booked). I didn't go for the Titanium variant since it exceeded my budget, else I would have gone for it.
1. ABS: I wanted a car that had ABS and Airbags. This was one of my top priorities. But to have the Airbags meant that I had to go for the Titanium variant which was not in my reach. This is one thing that I am still not happy with.
2. Reclining rear seats: While spending so much on a car, I wanted to have some basic comforts and that meant good seating position.
3. Rear head rests: Yes, it’s the same reason as for the reclining seats. It is a basic comfort feature that I expected.
4. Power windows: To put it the other way, not having one would make the car look so ordinary. These actually should be standard equipment.
5. Driver Seat height adjusts: I bought this car so that I can take my family for weekend trips and even longer ones in the car. So for me who will be in the driver’s seat, would want a more comfortable seating position.
6. Steering mounted controls: This is one of the features that I am using a lot now. Though the controls don’t have the phone symbols printed on them, they can still be used to receive and cut calls. Don’t know what Ford is saving in not having them printed on the controls.
7. Tachometer: This is something that needs to be standard but Ambiente variant does not have this.
8. Rear washer and defogger: Though I was not a fan of this, now I like this a lot. Especially when it rains these days, it’s really helpful.
9. Silver painted front grill: I liked the Silver ones but love the chrome ones available in Titanium variant.

Some of the most visible differences between the variants have been highlighted below for easy reference.

View attachment Variants.pdf

My first impressions:

It was love at first sight and has been a long journey to own this car. As I drove my machine for the first time, it felt like I was moving a petrol car. Never felt any difference. But however as I start to drive more, I felt the difference. This one has good torque and is very comfortable to drive in Chennai’s City traffic. I live in Valasaravakkam and people in Chennai using the Arcot road will understand the traffic situation there.

Drivability & Ride:

I ll start with this as it is something that the driver will be living with for most of the time in the car. The torque is more than adequate and the power delivery is linear. There are no sudden surges and do not expect any adrenalin rush from the engine as you would expect from the Swift. This feels like a more matured engine not the peppy type.

The steering is light and you will love it in the city. Making turns and taking U-turns can be done with ease. The light steering also helps when you park in tight spaces where you need to work a lot on the steering. On the highway, I have read in some reviews that the steering is too light. But my experience has been different. It actually weighs up well and you have adequate feedback. I really don’t have complaints here.

Thus it offers good drivability in the city and will easily help you cruise in the highway at 120 - 140 KmPH.

The view from the driver’s seat is good. But as mentioned in many reviews, the thick A-pillar can be a bit tricky initially till you get used to the car. But within a few KMs in the Driver’s seat, I got used to it and don’t have much to complain there as well.

The stiff suspension affects the ride quality a bit. It is not that bad to become a deal-breaker anyway. The car is well planted to the road even at high speeds with minimal body roll while thrown around the corners.

NVH:

Though when compared to the Ecoboost there is a little, very little bit of engine noise inside the cabin which however fades in the sound of the AC. The cabin is quiet and the vibration levels are seldom felt.

Mileage:

I have driven my car for about 1200 Kms now and based on the Tank fill method the mileage as inspiring too.

City Mileage: 17Kmpl (Full AC)
Highway Mileage: 20.3 Kmpl (Full AC)

My latest city mileage is 16.6 KmPL which includes a bit of idling with the AC on as my family members preferred to stay in the car when I went shopping for a while.

Boot Space:

The boot space is adequate for packing luggage for a 4 day trip for all the passengers. However, it would be a bit greedy to expect the space of a full size SUV from an urban SUV which is sub 4 meter length and made for the urban life.

AC:

The AC is really powerful and cools the cabin in no time. I have never had a chance to try the AC at full speed. Speed 1 is the one used 95% of the time. Speed 2 for some quick cooling after being parked in sun. Used speed 3 only once just to try. Never tried the full speed (Speed 4).

The AC vents can be closed completely.

001a AC vent.jpg

Interiors:

The interiors look new age and the chest-out dashboard is a cool thing.

002 Dashboard.jpg

003 Storage 6.jpg

But I have a few complaints here. The plastics are not up to the mark when compared to similarly priced cars. It will sure have rattle issues in the long run. How bad??? Only time will tell. But I have heard feeble “grrrrr” sounds from behind the instrument cluster and the doors on rough roads. They are not noisy and can be heard if you pay close attention. When I mean rough roads, I don’t mean roads with potholes but roads whose surfaces are not so smooth. I’m specific here as I have not heard any serious rattles so far on bad roads with potholes.

004 Inst Cluster.jpg

The driver's seating position can be adjusted with the height adjuster and the tilt and telescopic steering adjustments come handy to provide the perfect driving position. The seats are adequately wide and the back row can seat 3 average built people comfortably. The rear leg room is very good and the reclining rear seats provide comfortable seating to the passengers as well.

005 reclining seat.jpg

The doors have a soft cushion padding to rest your arms. The dual tone door panels (for all variants except the Titanium optional variant) break the monotonous dark feel inside the car. There are lots of storage spaces and the overall space is good. The front doors have two bottle holders (1ltr) each and the rear has one each. Thus 6 bottles can be tucked into the door pockets itself.

006 Door pads.jpg

006 Door pads2.jpg

006 Door pads3.jpg

And in the space in between the seats, 3 more bottles can be kept thus totaling to 9 bottle holders. The phone can also be kept in there conveniently. There is a small pull out compartment to access the OBD port and some small stuff can be put in it as well.

These are small but very useful things.

006 Storage.jpg

006 Storage.jpg

Exteriors:

I don’t have to say more about the exterior looks of the car. It definitely is a head turner. Even though many Ecosports run on the roads these days, many people still gaze at my car whenever I wait in a signal or pass them by. There have been instances where some have even followed me for some distance just to have a glimpse of the car. Here are some pics which I thought would be worthwhile.

The air kickers add to the aerodynamics of the car.

007 Kickers.jpg

007 Kickers2.jpg

The fuel tan lid has a string attached to it to hold the lid.

008 Tank lid.jpg

This is a difficult place to clean.

009 Stepney.jpg

The OVRMs turn backwards as well. Thus don’t have to fear a motorcyclist hitting your OVRM.

009A OVRM1.jpg

009A OVRM2.jpg

009A OVRM3.jpg

009A OVRM4.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Additions made:

Mud Flaps:

Since I had not taken the essential accessory pack I had to either buy only the mud flaps from the dealer for Rs. 1300 or buy it from eBay for Rs.450 and fit them. I chose to go for the later and placed my order from eBay. The product was delivered within 36 hours of ordering though it was shipped through bluedart from Delhi. I got the dealer to fit it for me for no extra charge. The mud flaps are of the OEM spec and they fit well. The guy who fit the mud flaps was surprised that it was an aftermarket item and said it’s just as good as the OEM.

eBay Link:

010 mud flap3.jpg

Seat Covers:

I did some market research and understood that the seat covers from Auto foam costed between Rs.6500 – Rs.9500. Also, had an idea about the patterns available in the market. But later chose to go with the dealer provided seat cover after being impressed on seeing some ecosports with the same seat covers as I have bought. They looked good and fit well. So decided to go with them. It costed Rs.7300/- including the fitting charges.

011 Seat Cover3.jpg

011 Seat Cover4.jpg

011 Seat Cover6.jpg

Fog Lamps:

These were fitted from the dealer to avoid voiding the warranty. They cost Rs. 6700/-

012 Fog lamps1.jpg

012 Fog lamps2.jpg

Floor Mat:

Since I wanted to have the noodle mats as floor mats for my car, I did the floor mats for myself. Spent just Rs.1600/- for the entire car except the boot. For the boot, I opted to go for the Carpet type since I didn’t want to have a heavy material for the boot and it cost Rs.180/- and my total cost for floor mat being Rs.1780/-

The details of floor mats are posted to the DIY section DIY - 3M Nomad Type Noodle Mats For Ford Ecosport.

013 Floor Mat01.jpg

Paint Protection Film:

This is something I am still experimenting. I have successfully done this to the area of the doors where we tend to scratch when we get in and get down (where the scuff plates are fixed). I did a lot of googling before I finally decided to go ahead. But the results are much better than my expectations and I have already recovered the investment.

I bought the paint protection film from tufkote through eBay. This one is not the 3M PPF but is of a good quality though. The reason I opted this is because this costs Rs. 750 for a 4 feet by 1 feet size roll whereas the 3M PPF costs Rs. 1100 for the same length of roll. Since I was doing a trial I didn’t want to burn my finger.

eBay Link 1

eBay Link 2

You can see the results of my labour for yourself in the images below. This was done to all the 4 doors.

014 PPF1.jpg

014 PPF2.jpg

Music system:

The OEM music system is the best inclass. It is too good and does not require a replacement (replacing can as well be a pain).

I bought the 16 GB micro USB pen drive for Rs.600 which fits into the USB slot perfectly. It plays well too. We can play songs by folders as well. The tracks can be changed and source of music chosen using the steering mounted controls.

But as already mentioned, though the controls don’t have the phone symbols printed on them, they can still be used to receive and cut calls. Don’t know what Ford is saving in not having them printed on the controls.

015 USB.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

Tyres:

The Tyres that I got were MRF and they have been good so far. Never felt any lack of grip or confidence.

Headlights:

The OEM headlights are good for four lane roads where you don't have direct opposite side traffic. However, during rains and in roads with two way traffic, this is not enough. When it rains it is pathetic. Looking for appropriate upgrades.

030 Final5.jpg

Some more pics for you...

015 Lighting.jpg

030 Final1.jpg

030 Final2.jpg

... and miles to go with the Machine I love.

030 Final3.jpg

030 Final4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jude300,
Congratulations on your new ride.You have done some simple but effective Do It Yourself things.Hope you keep the thread updated in the long run.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Only one word AWESOME. Congratulations mate. Really enjoyed reading. You covered each and every minute detail.
Wish you many more happy and enjoyable miles with your machine. All the best :)

Thread Starter #6
Somemore thoughts that came through...

'PARKING BREAKS ON' ALERT:

A couple of days back, as I started off to office from home just after about 10 feet of moving the car a chime started sounding to alert me. I was wondering what went wrong and saw that the parking break light was on in the instrument cluster (I didnt notice this as I started to move the car). When I checked, I realised that the parking breaks were very lightly engaged and that I hadnt completely disengaged it. This is a wonderful feature and applaude Ford to have provided this alert with the chime, else I wouldnt have realised that the park brakes were slightly engaged and driven away as I never felt that it was engaged.

Low Fuel Indicator:

I was aware of the low fuel indicator in the car but wanted to check how it worked. Today morning as I was driving knowing that I would be reaching empty soon a alert chime came and the low fuel indicator went on. There was only one chime and it was not continous. Then I did a tank fill and the fuel gun tripped at 42.13 ltrs. So that means that the indicator turns on when there is about 10 ltrs in the tank. Thats a good thing. Will try this next time as well.

Low Fuel Monitor.jpg

Windshield fogging (Outside the windshield):

I need your expert advice on this issue.

Now that the rains are in and I often get caught in the rains at night, this issue has started of to be a VERY SERIOUS thing for me.

The misting is too bad that I hardly can see anything outside. It is better when it is raining but once the rain stops and we turn off the wipers the misting happens like what you see below on the outside of the windshield. I ll have to keep the wiper turned on even though its not raining. It happens so quick that I can even turn the wiper to intermittent mode. I have tried various blower directions and set various cooling levels. But yet, I am not able to get rid of this.

Windshield fog.jpg

Wipers:

I have been observing this since day 1 i started using the wiper, if its starts raining heavily the wiper starts making a rubbing noise and it also kind of vibrates as it wipes. I acts as if its an age old wiper. Any suggestion on this issue is also welcome

Thread Starter #8
Congrats Jude, nice review and winsome shots[clap]
From the pics, I see you have got MRFs, are you planning on a tyre upgrade?
No. I am not planning for any upgrades for the tyres. As mentioned in the review, I have not faced any serious issues with them rather I am actually happy with them. I am not new to MRF and so confident to go ahead with the same as this will go some extra miles as compared to the softer tyres. Goodyear could have been better but as said, no complaints with the MRF.

Congrats Jude !!!! Many more miles to go....

Like you I am also getting my " White Fairy " by the End of this week (1.5 D Trend), have gone for some dealer fitted accessories and aftermarket alloys with a tyre upgrade to 205 R 15. Will be posting some pics soon :)

First of all heartiest congratulations on your new car Jude300. Mars Red looks really good in real and has immense road presence. Loved reading each line of your ownership review. Giving your thread a well deserved 5 star.

Those seat covers look great and the fit and finish is also impeccable. Fog lamps do enhance the front fascia of the car. Look forward to more of your updates on the car in the future.

Wish you crunch many many miles with your new car and have a joyous ownership experience. Drive safe!

Hi Jude300,
I have encountered the fogging in my Dad's Figo.The solution is simple.Turn on the heater and defogger button and change air circulation mode from inside to outside,voila it goes.Hope this helps.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Thread Starter #12
Congrats Jude !!!! Many more miles to go....

Like you I am also getting my " White Fairy " by the End of this week (1.5 D Trend), have gone for some dealer fitted accessories and aftermarket alloys with a tyre upgrade to 205 R 15. Will be posting some pics soon :)
Congrats in advance to you... Do post the pics of your beautiful beast... Happy motoring

Hi Jude300,
I have encountered the fogging in my Dad's Figo.The solution is simple.Turn on the heater and defogger button and change air circulation mode from inside to outside,voila it goes.Hope this helps.
Regards,
Aneesh.
Thanks Aneesh. Will try your trick if I get an opportunity today and post updates.

Then I did a tank fill and the fuel gun tripped at 42.13 ltrs. So that means that the indicator turns on when there is about 10 ltrs in the tank. Thats a good thing. Will try this next time as well.
Hi Jude AFAIK fuel tank capacity of 1.5 D ecosport is 47 ltrs. Can you please recheck??

I need your expert advice on this issue.

Now that the rains are in and I often get caught in the rains at night, this issue has started of to be a VERY SERIOUS thing for me.
I heard about this issue from many ecosport owners. So far i have not faced this issue. Here in trichy it is raining for the last couple of days. But i have not observed any fogging on the outer side of my ecosport's windshield. May be i am handling this in a different way. What i do is, whenever i drive through rain, first i switch on AC, switch on the re circulation mode and direct the blower to the front windshield to avoid innnerside fogging. After sometime when the cabin cools down i simply switch off AC and switch off the re circulation mode so that out side fresh cool air can enter and only the blower will be running towards the windshield. So no issue of fogging on outer side of windshield. Because outside temperature and inside temperature becomes same.

I have been observing this since day 1 i started using the wiper, if its starts raining heavily the wiper starts making a rubbing noise and it also kind of vibrates as it wipes. I acts as if its an age old wiper. Any suggestion on this issue is also welcome
of late i am also facing this issue. Even though the wipers do the job, it vibrates and give some minute noise. Yet to get some solution

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Hi Jude AFAIK fuel tank capacity of 1.5 D ecosport is 47 ltrs. Can you please recheck??

I heard about this issue from many ecosport owners. So far i have not faced this issue. Here in trichy it is raining for the last couple of days. But i have not observed any fogging on the outer side of my ecosport's windshield. May be i am handling this in a different way. What i do is, whenever i drive through rain, first i switch on AC, switch on the re circulation mode and direct the blower to the front windshield to avoid innnerside fogging. After sometime when the cabin cools down i simply switch off AC and switch off the re circulation mode so that out side fresh cool air can enter and only the blower will be running towards the windshield. So no issue of fogging on outer side of windshield. Because outside temperature and inside temperature becomes same.

of late i am also facing this issue. Even though the wipers do the job, it vibrates and give some minute noise. Yet to get some solution
The tank capacity as mentioned in the specification chart is 52 ltr. I just checked it again.
Bought the washer additive from the nearby Shell outlet. Will try that today and post updates.
Let me first congratulate on your buy Jude :) .. Awesome choice and well written review. Happy miles ahead.

I too have booked Ecosport Titanium (o) in the same month of July 2013 but yet to receive my car [glasses].. Hope will get my hand soon on my machine :)
The wait is really a difficult one. Hold on buddy. It will be worth it.

Top Bottom