Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium (2016) Mars Red: The Mighty Apollo

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello xkcd0137,
Congrats on the beast. Dont know how I missed this tread. Read through it whole and sole. Your reviews are quite detailed. My uncle too owns a Blue ecosport 1.5 D. Build quality is quite solid. BTW the engine felt too linear. Yeah the guys spoiled by XUV will tell you.

1. About the problem with your bulbs, Are you sure that the connector is plugged the right way? I know It would be difficult to get it wrong otherwise, but still? Is this a problem with spring loaded stalk that car uses? I mean is it like the Safari Stalk?

2. How is the beam pattern of these bulbs? Please post Low and high beams on a flat wall.

3. Get OEM fog lamps and stuff 4300K HID kit in them. Best upgrade.

4. Your Washing-Detailing list does look correct. I usually wash the exterior before. But it does not matter. You can do entire thing in one go if your hands allow. As having gaps will allow dust to settle on surface in-process. Or you could split Interior-Exterior if you get tired. But not Mid layer.

5. Buy a cheap polisher. Would be useful. Or you could use a Mushroom Buff as an Attachment to Drill. Run the drill on slow speed and polish away!

Thread Starter #17
Hello xkcd0137,
Congrats on the beast. Dont know how I missed this tread. Read through it whole and sole. Your reviews are quite detailed.
Thank you, sir. I thank you for your guidance on the lighting thread.

1. About the problem with your bulbs, Are you sure that the connector is plugged the right way? I know It would be difficult to get it wrong otherwise, but still? Is this a problem with spring loaded stalk that car uses? I mean is it like the Safari Stalk?
I have checked it 2-3 times but as you already said that it is not possible to get it wrong as H4 socket pattern doesn't let you fault. I'll check it once again today.

2. How is the beam pattern of these bulbs? Please post Low and high beams on a flat wall.
I'll do the needful tonight

4. Your Washing-Detailing list does look correct. I usually wash the exterior before. But it does not matter. You can do entire thing in one go if your hands allow. As having gaps will allow dust to settle on surface in-process. Or you could split Interior-Exterior if you get tired. But not Mid layer.
Some people quoted Polish before Compound and some other Compound before Polish, hence was confused.

Also people have suggested that car should be clean wiped with Iso-propyl Alcohol after Polish to remove any oil residue. Can this be skipped?

5. Buy a cheap polisher. Would be useful. Or you could use a Mushroom Buff as an Attachment to Drill. Run the drill on slow speed and polish away!
I have clearly exceeded my budget for this month, plan to get a polisher next month.

Re: 2016 Mars Red Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The Mighty Apollo

xkcd0137 said:
About Boot rattle noise - It originated around 7000kms. Got it checked at around 9500kms during 2nd service but it has crept in again after 11500kms. This stops me from throwing around the car in corners and spoils my mood at times. But now that I have got it sorted, I am totally in love with Apollo.
A very well written ownership, I must say. One cannot find any major fault with this car unless one is nitpicking. Wish you many happy miles with your car!

I recently got the new Ecosport 1.5D and it has ran only 1.5k KMS. It's throwing some squeaking sound while traveling over irregular roads. I'm not sure whether it's the boot noise as the sound is more of a squeak than a rattle. It would be great if you could let me know how did you resolve the rattle issue.

Cheers!

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. There seem to be 2 possiblities. Either the chinese manuf. Have wired the internal wiring of bulb swapped it around. Causing High beam where there should be low. OR. Ecopsort uses a safari style stalk where, Rather than pushing the stalk forwards to engage high beam, you just pull the stalk once (Spring loaded) to change modes. Now if we use this stalk to flash Highs for traffic, it comes to high beam mode next time you start regular headlamps. I know this from my Safari 3.0L

2. Is your paint Faded/ Damaged?
Rubbing compound will get rid of the swirls but remember its also erasing your clear coat. You are thinning the paint every time you use it. Next time the swirls will be much more visible and frequent. Avoid rubbing compound if the paint is not TOO bad. Usual polishing (2~3 times over a couple of months) will take care of swirls. Just take it slow. Its easy to do damage esp with a machine.

You can skip the IPA. Its not important.

3. You're welcome. Thread subscribed.

P.S- Noticed you are talking about 3M Ultimate Compound and NOT Rubbing compound. No personal experience with that product.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
1. There seem to be 2 possiblities. Either the chinese manuf. Have wired the internal wiring of bulb swapped it around. Causing High beam where there should be low. OR. Ecopsort uses a safari style stalk where, Rather than pushing the stalk forwards to engage high beam, you just pull the stalk once (Spring loaded) to change modes. Now if we use this stalk to flash Highs for traffic, it comes to high beam mode next time you start regular headlamps. I know this from my Safari 3.0L
It seems like the first scenario. I guess ES has Safari style stalk as you are describing, but issue here is that earlier It lightened up Low Beam as default and when I pulled the stalk it switched to Low+High Beam, whereas now its on High Beam by default and switches to High+Low beam when stalked is pulled.

2. Is your paint Faded/ Damaged?
Rubbing compound will get rid of the swirls but remember its also erasing your clear coat. You are thinning the paint every time you use it. Next time the swirls will be much more visible and frequent. Avoid rubbing compound if the paint is not TOO bad. Usual polishing (2~3 times over a couple of months) will take care of swirls. Just take it slow. Its easy to do damage esp with a machine.

You can skip the IPA. Its not important.
As we all know Ford's Mars Red was already a bit orangish, but at times I have felt that paint has become a little dull - more orangish. I preferred the brighter look, so trying to achieve that with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

3. You're welcome. Thread subscribed.
Such an honor. Thanks.

Thread Starter #21
Bought myTVS Aero Wipers for Apollo for ₹538.

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/mytvs-win...d?pid=CWIF4ZCH7PHWSZHQ&cmpid=product.share.pp

Earlier was using Bosch Conventional Wipers, which were Horrible imo. They left streaks on windshield from Day 1 and made noise all the time. And when I finally removed them yesterday, I could see the rubber dislodging from its metal base. I am done with Bosch from now on. Experience with myTVS ones is pretty good till now, they are silent and wipe the windscreen clean in one sweep. Lets see how they fare in the long run.

First step in my Detailing marathon - started with interiors.
Clean wiped dust from dashboard, center console, door pads, steering rack, below seats with the help of 3M MF Cloth. Then used a used tooth-brush to dislodge dirt from a few gaps. Dusted the Mats using a Brush, and they were really dusty (pic attached). Then water-washed them. Then let loose all the dirt sticking to carpet using the tooth-brush, but since I don't have my vacuum cleaner with me right now, couldn't pick it up yet. Planning to get it Vacuumed at some place.
Then I dusted away my engine bay and front grill using a 50mm Paint brush. Couldn't reach very deep but was able to clean most of the upper layer.
My Meguiar's Carpet and upholstery is in transit so couldn't get to use it yet. Received the Applicator Pads and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Will wash my tires today. Waiting for Crab Wash Mitt to get started on Paint. [PS. Amazon's logistics is painful, I am amazed by how efficient Flipkart has become. They always beat Amazon at delivering to my place.]

This is the dust from the front two mats. Rear mats were mostly clean.
IMG_20180717_115646~2.jpg

Brush I used (bought from Big Bazaar)
https://m.indiamart.com/proddetail.php?i=13803937888

Bought myTVS Aero Wipers for Apollo for ₹538.

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/mytvs-win...d?pid=CWIF4ZCH7PHWSZHQ&cmpid=product.share.pp

Earlier was using Bosch Conventional Wipers, which were Horrible imo. They left streaks on windshield from Day 1 and made noise all the time. And when I finally removed them yesterday, I could see the rubber dislodging from its metal base. I am done with Bosch from now on. Experience with myTVS ones is pretty good till now, they are silent and wipe the windscreen clean in one sweep. Lets see how they fare in the long run.
Couldn't edit this post so adding more info -

IMO a marketing failure they are doing is that they are selling wipers only as a set of 2. I want a single 14' wiper for rear screen but just can't.

PS. Same wipers are available for ₹498 at myTVS official site.

A very well written ownership, I must say. One cannot find any major fault with this car unless one is nitpicking. Wish you many happy miles with your car!

I recently got the new Ecosport 1.5D and it has ran only 1.5k KMS. It's throwing some squeaking sound while traveling over irregular roads. I'm not sure whether it's the boot noise as the sound is more of a squeak than a rattle. It would be great if you could let me know how did you resolve the rattle issue.

Cheers!
If its the boot rattle or squeak you are experiencing then it can be solved by using some grease on the boot locks. This rattle creeps in every time I get the car washed due to grease getting washed away.

Thread Starter #22
One quick question -
I washed and clayed my car over 2 days i.e. Friday and Saturday. Then I started Compounding but could only do Half-complete as I had to go to Office. So thought of continuing the work after office. But it started raining while I was in Office and hasn't stopped yet. Though my car stands under a Plastic Shed but it has completely drenched from the sideward sprays. What should I do now?

Drying -
1) Let it dry itself
or
2) Cloth wipe it?

Detailing -
1) Repeat entire process from Washing then Claying then Compound then Polish then Wax
Or
2) Continue from where I left of i.e. Compound the second-half then Polish then Wax.

I haven't driven the Car since Saturday to avoid it getting any dirty. But I may need to drive it now, since I have to go to office or should I avoid it and manage on my activa.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I'm afraid you'll have to redo the wash and Clay.
any Small sand particles that goes into polishing/detailing will act like sandpaper and cause swirls.

A quick query to Ford Ecosport owners, how easy is it maneuver a Ford Ecosport in City, Will the 5.3 turning radius be an issue during mall slopes,parking lots etc

bhvm

Honoured Member
A quick query to Ford Ecosport owners, how easy is it maneuver a Ford Ecosport in City, Will the 5.3 turning radius be an issue during mall slopes,parking lots etc
With my limited driving experience of 500KM with my Uncles 1.5 Diesel, here goes-1
1. Its easier than say full size SUV like Safari/Scorpio/XUV. But will not be as easy as small hatch like i10. This is mostly psychological. You just need to be patient till a wide enough gap opens up in traffic.

2. I found clutch to be little abrupt releasing, and low down power was not as good as XUV. As a result, I clipped thrice on larger speedbreakers. Could improve with experience.

3. Driving position is not too commanding. The Hood is not as prominently visible as say Safari (best) or Scorpio/XUV (2nd best). So you need to drive by judgement. Like Small hatches.

4. If A Safari/ Fortuner can come up mall slopes then I don't see why an CSUV will have any problem. A rear camera is must for parking. As Spare tyre hinders vision.
Waiting for XCD to put in his thoughts.

With my limited driving experience of 500KM with my Uncles 1.5 Diesel, here goes-1
1. Its easier than say full size SUV like Safari/Scorpio/XUV. But will not be as easy as small hatch like i10. This is mostly psychological. You just need to be patient till a wide enough gap opens up in traffic.

Thanks for thhe inputs .Driving in bangalore its a big issue with cars with bigger footprints especially in mall with stacked parking,small home parking places and narrow commercial lanes.

I have Tata nexon petrol in mind , it has a turning radius of 5.1 . Will Tata nexon give me a higher convenience compared to ford Ecosport within city in terms of nimbleness? Will 5.3 and 5.1 matter or is it too small which can be ignored.

Additionally the protruding side mirrors in Ecosport,are they cumbersome in traffic with bikers and in moving to traffic gaps?

Thread Starter #27
I'll elaborate and present my views on the points made by bhvm sir.

Its very easy to drive in City traffic. Turning radius has never been an issue yet. But Nexon with its smaller footprint (without Rear mounted tyre) will be easier to drive and park, no doubt.
Same goes for parking.

2. I found clutch to be little abrupt releasing, and low down power was not as good as XUV. As a result, I clipped thrice on larger speedbreakers. Could improve with experience.
Clutch is just a little bit heavier compared to super light clutch of Hyundai cars but one gets used to it with time. Doesn't bother me at all.

3. Driving position is not too commanding. The Hood is not as prominently visible as say Safari (best) or Scorpio/XUV (2nd best). So you need to drive by judgement. Like Small hatches.
Haven't driven an XUV/ Scorpio/ Safari/ Fortuner to comment on this. I find it to be perfectly okay.

4. If A Safari/ Fortuner can come up mall slopes then I don't see why an CSUV will have any problem. A rear camera is must for parking. As Spare tyre hinders vision.
I have never felt a need for Rear Camera (My ES doesn't have it). I do just fine with Rear Parking Sensors. Spare tyre is not an issue either.

I don't think 5.3 and 5.1 warranties such discussion and can be best ignored.
Yes, Side Mirrors are huge and best be left folded if traffic warrants that. Though I drive with them unfolded and have experienced an issue only a 2-3 times. But current ES ORVM are electrically foldable and IMO they don't fold outwards like the previous ones so that should be kept in mind.

Last edited:
I have Tata nexon petrol in mind , it has a turning radius of 5.1 . Will Tata nexon give me a higher convenience compared to ford Ecosport within city in terms of nimbleness? Will 5.3 and 5.1 matter or is it too small which can be ignored.

Additionally the protruding side mirrors in Ecosport,are they cumbersome in traffic with bikers and in moving to traffic gaps?
Ecosport is rather a small car compared to many sedans/suvs in market. Driving in Bangalore traffic would not be an issue at all , you need to get used to corners of the vehicle and you are good to go.
Side mirrors are boon and you should always keep them open, sometimes bikers other cars dash on them but do not worry they would not get broken. At least they would not dash your doors and make scratches.

OT - I drive Manza in Bangalore and find quite easy to drive and park around.

As an Ecosport owner, let me give my two cents.
* I must say the car is no bigger than a premium hatch for it's just a sub 4m SUV. So it's as good as riding an i20 or Jazz with a taller seating position.

* I can say the turning radius comparo between Nexon and EcoSport is negligible. I drive my friend's Nexon and I don't find any difference while taking an U turn or a sharp turn.

Please feel free to let me know in case you need any inputs.

Cheers!

Thread Starter #30
Recently I got 4 cans measuring a quart each of Amsoil Diesel Signature Series Engine Oil for 40,000 km service. It is available in a pack of gallon on Amazon for 3900. But I bought the oil from Amsoil's Delhi distributor - Extreme Lubricants. They offered me a 20% discount on that amount.

Got oil replaced as soon as I reached my hometown. I had read only heaps of praises of this oil from Team-bhp and even a fellow TAI member recommended Amsoil but I could notice NO CHANGE AT ALL.
The reason I am concerned/confused is that the engine noise is same as what was before the Oil change. IMO, previous oil had been running for 10,000+ kms, whereas when I had just put in the most recommended Oil, so there should have been SOME change.
Apart from that Car is running fine. I don't follow the mileage data at all, but I think it may have increased by 1-2 kmpl. Hope I have not been scammed. I didn't get any bill of any sorts too. Next time after 20,000 kms, I may go with the locally available Mobil 1 or Shell Ultra.
IMG_20190928_214822_1.jpg
IMG_20190928_214859_1.jpg

Top Bottom