Ford Dealer Charging Customers Unnecessarily High

Thread Starter #1
Disclaimer: This is my first hand experience with the said dealer, read and have fun [;)]

Before we start, a couple of points to mention:
  • Dealer in question: Orchid Ford, Meerut
  • What's Wrong: Read on to find out

What I believe:
  • Bad dealers = Bad Reputation = Brand goes down
  • Good dealers = More number of satisfied customers = brand reputation builds up

Ford India: A subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company which carries out operations in India. Headed by Mr. Nigel Harris now.
What they are doing these days?
They are working really hard to bring their reputation up in terms of sales and service. This is evident from listening to their management speak to customers as well as the way their A.S.S. is going ahead these days.

BUT

"No matter how good the management is or what they are doing for the betterment, if the dealers are not willing to leave their foul practices; the company suffers"

ALSO

"If dealer is trying to charge the customer as much as possible even before the delivery, what do you think he will do when the vehicle returns back for servicing?"

One more ALSO :tongue:

What and how to do when the dealer is unable to give any kind of explanation of their policies as well as the money they are charging for anything?

Who I am? A customer who don't believe in paying anything illegal, extra or unjustified. Trust me, even my GF also hasn't been to a date with me since months :biggrin:

What's the Issue? Three Ford dealers and all three have different prices for temporary registration and essential kit. The dealer in question has the highest prices (more than thrice for temporary registration and around INR 800 more for essential kit). Read on for the complete story.

Dealer 1. HARPREET FORD, GURGAON
Quotations attached:
harpreet prices.JPG
harpreet temp.JPG

What I discovered?
  • Insurance price is well acceptable for the one they are offering and nothing to complain.
  • Essential kit price INR 3200 and the inclusions are highlighted in second pic above
  • Temporary registration charges of INR 1100, although high but is acceptable after comparing with what other brand dealers are offering.

Overall a good reputed dealer with few or no foul practices.

Dealer 2. BHAGAT FORD, DEHRADUN
Quotations Attached:
bhagat prices.JPG
bhagat temp.JPG

What I discovered?
  • Insurance price high but inclusions are much. Checked with the insurer and found the price to be acceptable even if a bit high. Also the dealer willing to match the insurance quote for the same plan with what is available outside. Brilliant!
  • Essential kit price and inclusions same as Harpreet Ford (although INR 50 more, but they left it in no time)
  • Temporary registration charges of INR 100, simple awesome.

Overall a good and reputed dealer with few or no foul practices

Dealer 3. ORCHID FORD, MEERUT
Quotations Attached:
orchid prices.JPG
orchid temp.JPG

What I discovered?
Insurance price lowest and nearly identical to Harpreet Ford for the same insurance plan. Brilliant!
Essential kit priced highest and the items are also lesser. Check the last pic attached above.
Temporary registration charges of INR 3500, completely irrelevant and unjustifiable.

Now listen to what their sales manager has to say:
ME: When other dealers are charging 3200 for essential kit, why you charging so high?
HE: Sir we give a tissue box too.
ME: Both others giving, check their quotes.
HE: Sir state taxes etc.
ME: !!??!!??
HE: Sir state to state taxes. You have got handling charges waived off, talk to Ford or our director only. If they say, I can give you the car for free.

Super frustrated I was and then another one.

ME: Temporary charges the Maruti dealer charging here are 1300, why you charging 3500?
HE: Sir our policies, can't disclose. We are already taking loss in handling charges, we can't reduce this.
ME: Those are illegal.
HE: Those aren't.
ME: Those aren't legal either. The Maruti dealer here isn't charging them.
HE: I came from Maruti only ,they may have hidden it.
ME: But these are not justifiable.
HE: Sir you can talk to Ford. The receipt will be of hardly INR 500/600 but we have to pay to dalal (broker) and we give it to you here in dealership.

Me frustrated again over all the explanations which couldn't explain anything. No wonder, this guy has been a Maruti sales guy, hence he don't even know what and how the explanations are supposed to be.

Now tell me guys what do you think about this one? I hope I have made your day this time.

I request members to please update what the dealers at their places do charge and how are they justifying the same. No wonder, if Ford is trying to come up, these dealers won't let them come up easily.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Now tell me guys what do you think about this one? I hope I have made your day this time.

I request members to please update what the dealers at their places do charge and how are they justifying the same.
Vipul, as you informed me of the case on phone today, firstly, as has been suggested by me, mark and email to Mr. Anurag with pictures of the quotations from dealers and the link to this thread. Next step, give him time to revert to you on the above matter. In case there is some delay, do go in person and show the quotes to Mr. Anurag at their corporate office in Gurgaon. This is a case of malpractice from dealer's end. A good brand in Indian context often has to suffer because of the sub-standard dealer network which majorly have uneducated/un-knowledgeable staff. If you have the name of the person you spoke to, do mention the same in your mail. It is not a customer's duty to pay the charges of the middle man hired by the dealer for RTO. It simply shows the incapability of the dealer for not properly providing customer satisfaction and not able to close the deal authentically.

I'll be posting the Noida Price List of Figo by tomorrow as I told you.

Regards

Akash

yeah bro same thing happened to me yesterday when i took delivery of my new ford figo they charged me 1250 rs in sonipat (HARYANA)libra ford ..but in the rohtak (HARYANA)pearl ford is charging only 400 .also quality of plate given by them is of something like thermocol.very cheap and when i enquired the same they rudely said its libra ford these are our's price .so you have ti accept it ..

Thread Starter #4
@Akash:
I have an another concern. After listening this guy speaking, even I am also in two minds if one should buy a car from him or not after such an instance.

It's like you never know if he simply say "I am not delivering your car, go and talk to Ford", or can cause problems at the time of delivery, service and what not.

Such a fellow, very frank and straight forward in using words like:
  • "You can talk to Ford".. why? If you can't take a decision then why the hell on this earth are you wasting my time[frustration]
  • "I am just a mediator, they will give the car and I wil deliver to you".. ehh. then why the hell are you asking for our money?
  • "Sir I have left handling charges".. ehh. so what? You haven't done a favor; they are illegal after all.
  • And above everything "state to state taxes and the policies"; something completely far fetched and unjustified!

Rest I am planning to write to Anurag after having a quote or two more on the thread, rest; seeking your advise. [:)]

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Akash
I have an another concern. After listening this guy speaking, even I am also in two minds if one should buy a car from him or not after such an instance.

It's like you never know if he simply say "I am not delivering your car, go and talk to Ford", or can cause problems at the time of delivery, service and what not.
Vipul firstly he is not obliging you by selling a car. You are paying for it and remember always, a customer always has a upper hand over the dealer. Dealers survive because of sales made to customers. He cannot commit such a sin in your case knowing that you can approach the OEM easily. Moreover, you have the option of buying the car from this dealer or any other dealer and get it serviced at your will. But what ever you decide, do not let this matter die down easily. Make this matter reach to higher ups in FORD.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6
yeah bro same thing happened to me yesterday when i took delivery of my new ford figo they charged me 1250 rs in sonipat (HARYANA)libra ford ..but in the rohtak (HARYANA)pearl ford is charging only 400 .also quality of plate given by them is of something like thermocol.very cheap and when i enquired the same they rudely said its libra ford these are our's price .so you have ti accept it ..
Looks like just like in case of Ecosport, the Figo and a slight number of increase in footfalls in the dealerships has ran straight into the head of many Ford dealers. Now what? Now these guys seem to be trying to milk out the maximum of it.

Result: The reputation of Ford is taking a hit because many buyers will believe that Ford is hands in gloves with these dealers.

So what if these are the prices for the said dealer? Charging 1250 for useless plates is not done.

BTW looks like many dealers are making a joke of what the management at Ford is doing to improve their image.

@Akash:
Right you are. This is a very serious issue and it's important to bring it in the attention of Ford India. Just tweeted them the link of the same, let's see how it goes.
Such dealers are not doing anything but looting the uninformed buyers and hence taking Ford down with them.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i too got overpriced accessories list from harpreet ford.

the chrome grille is mentioned on their website for 4500 rs , it's the same in their price list but the reverse parking sensors were 2400 rs on website and they were charging me 3000 rs :/

anyways , don't know about essential kit differnce but i guess registration charges will vary from place to place.

Thread Starter #8
@AHC:
When it comes to essential kit difference, the reasoning of this guy over my argument is simply over my head. Eh, an unreasonable manager... :biggrin:

"Sir we are providing a tissue box" (which others have in their list) and "state to state taxes" [[frustration]

In other words: The higher price for essential kit is still unjustified and lame reasoning is an icing on the cake

Secondly the temporary registration charges:
When the guy himself is saying "sir receipt will be of hardly 500-600 rupees, we have to pay to dalal and we are providing it to you right here".

When receipt is of 500-600 bucks (that's the actual charge) then why they asking 2900-3000 extra over that? I doubt if any dalal asks for such a money (a DL can be obtained by paying 1200 bucks any day). Secondly as mentioned by Akash " why customer should pay this money to them?"

Thirdly this attitude of "Go and talk to Ford"!! [shock] RIP Ethics and customer satisfaction. These guys aren't doing anything but looting the customers.

One more:
When MSIL dealer at Meerut charges 1300 bucks for temporary registration for Swift ZXi, Ciaz ZDi (I mean any car of any price) then why it is higher for Ford? State to state taxes theory fails right here.

Thread Starter #9
I got one more and this time it's from Uttar Pradesh itself. Hence difference of state to state taxes can be completely ignored.

Dealer: Noida Ford, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Temporary Registration Charges: INR 1500
Essential Kit Price: INR 3250
@Akash: Please confirm :biggrin:

Now the dealer is in same state but is not interested in forced juicing the customers as much as their other dealer 'Orchid Ford, Meerut'.

Basically here also we have around 3000 bucks difference between the quotes of the dealer. Still, after analysing a couple of quotes, we can conclude that "the dealer Orchid Ford is actually involved in foul practice's and they don't have a valid explanation for the charges they levy".

Last edited:
@TSIVipul,
This is excellent concern which you have raised here. The guy at 'Orchid Ford, Meerut' to whom you talked is unprofessional and does not know his job. Yes, the concern should be raised and I appreciate that you have already escalated to ford.
Do also talk to higher authorities in the dealer and place a complain against this guy. This guy should learn that such kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Update:

The matter has been brought to the attention of the higher officials/management of FORD India. The concerned official and representatives from FORD have taken this matter very seriously and are going to take appropriate/strict action on the dealer concerned as they do not want to hamper their image and neither want to loose out on the customer. They have been in touch with Vipul and have updated him on the same. The way this matter has been dealt by FORD so far surely shows that they are very much concerned for Indian customers and definitely are working to provide best possible solutions at earliest to the customers. Looking forward for developments.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
that's a good progress. awaiting more details [thumbsup]

many people buy from the dealer they visit first and don't check with other dealers. hope there is some kind of penalty on the dealer as well.

Thread Starter #13
Okay guys, as already updated by Akash, let me put some more info up front.
Yesterday right from morning 10 am (when I was occupied) itself I started getting numerous calls right from customer care people to management officials from one level or another. Let me cite some names this time:

Mr. Anurag Mehrotra: What a gem of a manager guys. Mail him your concern and within half hour you have a revert assuring that your words have reached him and he will be looking into it. Appreciations for his absolute involvement in his work and commitment towards customer satisfaction. Mail to Anurag and nothing will go unnoticed. A word of thanks to Akash for suggesting me this route though.

Mr. Rajesh: I don't know his position but if I am very much impressed with someone than this is the person. I can bet that if he comes in person to ask me to buy an Endy in his same assuring and honest style, I will think of buying one over the new Fortuner in future (else even new Endy is also nowhere in my lists, and for new Innova and Fortuner; I have signed cheques ready). Best part about him was his special way of talking
"Hellow Saar, don't worry weeyaar thera naa, we will take cara(care)".:biggrin:
He has been in touch with me since a couple of days regarding one more issue and now I prefer talking to him over anyone else. Prompt in response and very transparent person. 15/10 to him if customer satisfaction is the scale.

Mr. Gautam Tandon: He is managing sales I guess. Very good listener (believe me, twice I thought the network is disturbed and had to ask if he is listening :stupid:) with a practical approach in giving suggestions and sharing a word or two of advise.

All in all, it was a very quick and satisfying response from the end of Ford India. How was the reaction of Ford India different from others?

Maruti Suzuki: They care only to an extent. Tell their customers care something and they will get back to you most of the times with something entirely different.

Honda: They listen to you, assure an action at your concern and then go to sleep. Give an another call, wake them up and they get to work.

VW/Skoda: They are the funniest bunch. Talk to them and they will instead tell you a policy or two on how you are wrong.

Toyota: They listen and act, but keeping continuously in touch with customer is not their cup of tea. They will inform you at the end of the outcome for sure.

Mahindra: They are awesome. Very quick and very understanding.

Will I consider buying Ford cars in future? I am now quite assured about their customer service. I know that the 1.5l TDCi is a reliable and low maintenance engine with a good gearbox. Why shouldn't I consider buying one then?

Last edited:

Top Bottom