For Volkswagen Polo Owners: ICE Upgrade for OEM Look

Thread Starter #1
Hi to all polo owners

Everytime I look at my POLO OEM HU, I really feel its missing something
AUX In [surprise] , I never like to use one.
Speakers and Sound output, Enough for an average listner

Then ???

Its the Track Title, when was the last time you saw track 1 , track 2 on any LCD screen [frustration]
VW how could you deliver us HU without integrating track names
Was it so difficult ??
That means now you have to hear each track before knowing the name.
No Album Title, Folder Title .. [frustration] Yes its true.
What I do ?
For now I am driving without music

But I plan out some HU upgrade ( I am ok with speakers)

I have the following options

1. WITSON Touch Unit
2. CASKA
3. JVC or PIONEER Touch unit

First a brief about all the options -

WITSON is a chinese company which is manufacturing OEM look HU/ relicas ( I would say) for some years and according to me are very successful already in US.
They attend every version of Hong Kong Electronics Fair (Spring Version 14-17 April; Autumn Version 13-16 October) and foreign Electronics Fair(CAR+SOUND in Germany,MOTORTECH in Spain, etc.) as well.

But with no ASS, its a gamble.

Second is CASKA, same as Witson but comes with ASS in India and comes double the price just for the after sales YES TRUE

Moving forward the other options are JVC and pioneers very safe(comes with harness now so no wire cuts) but you would never be able to match with the current interior theme

My heart says WITSON and so is my detailed research on the same for the past few days
You can look at the VW series HU's on the below link

VOLKSWAGEN Series----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Player Manufacturer

I have shortlisted 2 HU's which not at all matches but looks OEM trust me
(W2-D723V)
VOLKSWAGEN SERIES CAR(New Arrival)
(W2-D9240V)

Before going forward it was very necessary to see the wiring diagram of both the units to see whether it is compatible with our current polo HU
This is important as I want the OEM coupler to plug in directly without needing any harness so NO WARRANY VOIDS

So first we need to understand about the POLO OEM HU
Our Polo has standard 8 pin connectors( 2 in nos ) { Source: my own car along with the help of local mechanic}
One is black, the other one is brown
For Speaker connections we have 8 wires running for 4 speakers.

Coming to the power connector, four contacts are used. Battery Positive & Negative, Parking light on/off sensor & Ignition on/off sensor.
Fuse 10 A was written on the sticker ( Look at the pic attached taken from my digicam,)

Moving to Witson I was able to find the Witson model with the same wiring diagram i.e (W2-D723V) and the coupler design
VOLKSWAGEN SERIES CAR----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Player Manufacturer

Look at the attached image( Source : Witson web)
The first slot the lengthy one needs to be left unused
The below slot is for speakers connector
The last one is for the Power connector. So with this unit, no need to attach any harness. WOW
Main highlights of this unit // Source : Witson web

Special features:
1. External bluetooth microphone included now!!! (1.9M length)
2. Same design as the original VW car DVD player
3. Supports all the buttons on the steering wheel control
4. Phone book function (show name of mobile Tel No.)
5. DVD info displays on the small dashboard LCD (MFD)
6. TMC function available (Optional)
7. Packing assistance included (Only Support Golf 6)
8. Air conditioner/Climate display support (Only Support Golf 6)

◆ 6.2 digital 800*480 screen resolution
◆ DVD info displays on the small dashboard LCD (MFD)
◆ Built-in GPS system
◆ Dual zone function (Listen Radio/CD while watching GPS image)
◆ Built-in Bluetooth
◆ USB port
◆ SD card slots (Two SD card slots, one for GPS, one for Multimedia)
◆ iPod control
◆ RDS receiver function
◆ Built-in TV tuner
◆ Built-in DVB-T tuner (Optional)
◆ Built-in ISDB-T tuner (Optional)
◆ TMC function available (Optional)
◆ Steering wheel control function (With CANBUS (MQB))
◆ Auto rear viewing function
◆ Red button backlight

For GPS and Rear view camera proper wiring needs to be done.
Currently I don't need the reverse camera but I have got a coupler from World class automobiles Moti nagar which will power the camera from reverse lamp without any wire cut(WOW)

So now the very important the COST,
Witson has quoted me 255 US dollars for the above HU and 25 US dollar for each reverse camera. I still need to confirm the shipping costs and the payment options. Would update you.

I won't consider any speakers upgrade as I dont want to fiddle with original fittment of doors so this would be enought for me.
Please give me your inputs and ideas

Attachments

Re: For all POLO Owners ICE upgrade for OEM Look

With both CASKA and Witson are Chinese with no such proven track record though heard that caska has started ASS for Indian customer and has some presence in India for long if i remember correctly but still they belongs to unknown territory for most of us.

Also you will not find much of information about them on websites and also they are not available off the shelf at most of the shops. You have to pay in advance to experience and it's pure gamble to purchase a thing without knowing it correctly.

Having said that i suggest you for the third option as stated in your above post, PIONEER/JVC or any well known brand touch unit with good service support.

Let's see what others have to say on this.

Last edited:

What's the OEM HU we get in a polo?
This sounds very interesting. would keep a close watch on details.

Heard that the 2012 Vento comes packed with a good HU. any ideas on how much the VW folks charge for that?

Last edited by a moderator:

@poloman: i agree with toughguy, but thanks to you for exploring such option for polo user, you can opt for pioneer touchscreen HU which are good !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5

I have seen JVC and Pioneer Integrations in other forums.. IMO it doesnt go with the theme of the interior .. I think i would need to live with the OEM for alteast 6 months ..

I have seen an OEM lookalike two DIN stereo at VW noida workshop. Its made by Nippon. I saw many few cars with that HU in the workshop.
Well the HU looks good like W2-D723V witson model

I went through the HU brochure, but was disappointed to know that it doesn't have CD player and left the brochure unread. USB, AUX, SD Card, Navigation etc. are few of the features in HU that I know.
The sales guy said its priced around 37K.

If interested, Poloman, you can contact VW Atrica Noida

Thread Starter #7

I have seen an OEM lookalike two DIN stereo at VW noida workshop. Its made by Nippon. I saw many few cars with that HU in the workshop.

I went through the HU brochure, but was disappointed to know that it doesn't have CD player and left the brochure unread. USB, AUX, SD Card, Navigation etc. are few of the features in HU that I know.
The sales guy said its priced around 37K.

If interested, Poloman, you can contact VW Atrica Noida

Hi dude, I will surely visit once rather will coordinate with you. I also have to show the rattles. 37k is on a higher side.( Are you sure it is having touch screen with navigation) I almost finalized Witson as it is direct plug and play but this would happen in april ( salary [clap])
Also I feel that we could save some duty if we coordinate and order ( all polo owners who want to upgrade in Delhi/NCR )
Also I think they have cut down prices and the above HU with rear view camera would not cost above 20k (including DHL and duty) but I would get the rear view camera installed after some time, I have seen it getting stolen. Also I plan not to get the GPS adaptor wiring done for the time being. The OEM speakers are made in belgium and will do the duty forever :stupid:

I also saw a Nippon double din stereo at Delhi-South VW dealership in south ext, they quoted 20-22K for HU with USB port and four speakers, they fits well in Polo and matches with interior and light as told by sales guy though not sure about about display light also they will not void any warranty.

Also I plan not to get the GPS adaptor wiring done for the time being
You are sure you want a integrated navigation system?

Which maps you are considering for your navigation system?

Thread Starter #9

I also saw a Nippon double din stereo at Delhi-South VW dealership in south ext, they quoted 20-22K for HU with USB port and four speakers, they fits well in Polo and matches with interior and light as told by sales guy though not sure about about display light also they will not void any warranty.

You are sure you want a integrated navigation system?

Which maps you are considering for your navigation system?
I have heard that map my india works flawlessly with the witson..other options are satguide ..

I have heard that map my india works flawlessly with the witson..other options are satguide ..
Yep MMI got good detailed maps but they are over priced, satguide maps are good. During my last mail conversation with Witson they were giving me some free local maps too ask for the same from them.

Thread Starter #11

Yep MMI got good detailed maps but they are over priced, satguide maps are good. During my last mail conversation with Witson they were giving me some free local maps too ask for the same from them.
I have a crack for MMI [clap]
Works great on my nokia phone
Witson is quite slow on replying emails. Watching videos will require the handbrake wire to be connected to negatvive polo now thats the tricky part.

What does that mean??
To purchase any HU from witson (Chinese manufacturer) you have to request a quote from them via mail and after completes advance payment they will courier the HU to you, if you faces any service related issues you have to courier back the set to China at your own expenses.

I have a crack for MMI [clap]
Works great on my nokia phone
So when you are sharing that with me [glasses]

Thread Starter #14

To purchase any HU from witson (Chinese manufacturer) you have to request a quote from them via mail and after completes advance payment they will courier the HU to you, if you faces any service related issues you have to courier back the set to China at your own expenses.

So when you are sharing that with me [glasses]
Sure .. msg me your contact details. i will brief you with the procedure
@toughguy : are you in for witson ???

Last edited:

@toughguy : are you in for witson ???
Nopes i was nearly purchased it for my i-10 but at last moment i pulled out of it, later on installed Hyundai integrated music system for 12K with speakers.

Top Bottom