Fogging of Windshield

Fogging on windshield

Hi freinds,

Yesterday I had a drive up-to Rathanagiri temple near vellore [Yesterday was our 16th wedding anniversary] I had covered 120 KMs in 1 hour and 45 minutes and return it took long time because of the road condition. It was very bad that I cant even go beyond 70 KMPH.

Than the road problem in both onward and return I face this white smokes on windshield a lot. since I have started after 5 pm from home, by the time we reach outers of Chennai it was dark [due to winter season]. by 6 pm it was like 8 pm.

I do know why I had this problem. Normally I will have this problem on rainy days. But yesterday it was not raining also [except drizzling in few places]. I did tried with windows rolled down, AC / OFF-ON, allowing fresh air to inflow inside using specific control, heater. Nothing solved my problem.

I just keep on using whipper with windshield cleaner for every 10 mints and managed the entire trip. It was worst while coming back. Filled the windshield cleaner tank before leaving from temple to manage the return.

1. I want to know does every one has this problem?
  2. If yes how all of you managing?
  3. I use one rupee bathing shampoo in my windshield cleaner tank. Does it has any thing related with this problem?

re: Fogging on windshield

Than the road problem in both onward and return I face this white smokes on windshield a lot. since I have started after 5 pm from home, by the time we reach outers of Chennai it was dark [due to winter season]. by 6 pm it was like 8 pm.
Sorry sir, but i am unable to understand what problem you are actually facing. By smoke, you mean just the pattern or are you talking about fumes?[surprise]

oops. sorry akash I do not know what do you mean by FUMES. am talking white foggy kind of stuff.. it goes when i use whipper with water.

From what i understand this is a case of condensate on the windshield. To ensure that the windshield remains clear, you can try following:

• Open the window to minimize the temperature difference between the air inside, and outside.
  • However, if its too cold inside, and its chilled outside, direct the AC towards the windshield.

From what i understand this is a case of condensate on the windshield. To ensure that the windshield remains clear, you can try following:

• Open the window to minimize the temperature difference between the air inside, and outside.
  • However, if its too cold inside, and its chilled outside, direct the AC towards the windshield.
But form his post, it is quite evident that he have already followed the steps mentioned by you. But still it is there. [roll]

@Dharmesh, you are right. I tried all. But no solution.

When I open the window slightly even the inside got the white foggy smoky effect. to the worst, since am wearing specs even that got white and blinded me. I had to take of the specs and clear it with the help of my daughter and wear it again.

I did not switch off the AC when turned to heater mode. any guess?

What controls do you have in your AC. Try the last option in it.
@ MODS please edit the title since it is misleading.
It should be something like
how do i get rid of the fog precipitation on the windshield.

Last edited:

Condensation happens where the temperature is least and humidity is most.e.g glass and metal suraface.
make sure to heat the affecting area optimally.
that is science part of it.

I did not switch off the AC when turned to heater mode. any guess?
Heater? The main thing is that fogging occurs due to temperature difference. So if you are turning the heater on, then the fogging is ought to happen.

Re: Fogging on windshield

This is what i Do every time i am traveling in rain or foggy situation.
Turn on the heater to High, face it to the windshield and wait till real hot air starts to pump out.
Initially, the fog will increase but once the glass starts to get Hot ( you can feel it with your hand) Foggy stuff will reduce and visibility increases.
Also, ensure the windows are rolled down a little on both the side (driver and passenger)
Use the wiper to regular mode and not timer mode.
Don't use AC- reason, this will create foggy situation on side windows and back glass (because all the windows are closed) which reduces the visibility and drivers confidence.

Heater? The main thing is that fogging occurs due to temperature difference. So if you are turning the heater on, then the fogging is ought to happen.
Alash, I know this is because of tempreature changes. When I was trying different option I tried this also.

@superbad, hope you are mentioning the option marked in the pic?
AC controls.JPG

This is what i Do every time i am traveling in rain or foggy situation.
Turn on the heater to High, face it to the windshield and wait till real hot air starts to pump out.
Initially, the fog will increase but once the glass starts to get Hot ( you can feel it with your hand) Foggy stuff will reduce and visibility increases.
Also, ensure the windows are rolled down a little on both the side (driver and passenger)
Use the wiper to regular mode and not timer mode.
Don't use AC- reason, this will create foggy situation on side windows and back glass (because all the windows are closed) which reduces the visibility and drivers confidence.
That is what I do.hault the vehical heat the glass with hot air or demystifier until everything is clear and then move on.

@Krish
I was mentioning the left most knob [opposite to the Heater/Cold knob] which has five options. Superbad asked me to use the last option, I wanted to make sure that.

@Superbad
I had used that option also, but i don't remember whether I used with air in-flow option as it is mentioned in that picture.

To avoid Fog, first turn the left most knob to the last option (left side direction) and turn the right most knob to Red. Then push AC circulation mode to Fresh air mode(to your picture move to right side) and turn the AC ON.

Top Bottom