Fog Lamps for Alto

Re: Fog lamps for maruti alto

Guys, i'm planning to buy fog lamps for my maruti alto. It's a '07 model. I've zeroed in on the fog lamps but my authorised dealer says he has to cut and do something in the bumper to install the fog lamps and that could cost me around 4000-4500. Is this true ? Won't i be able to install the fog lamps then?. The fog lamps are maruti OEM for alto itself. Help guys !
Alto fog lamps should be intalled in another housing which will fit to the bumper. Check the pictures below, you will understand. This is for models after 2005. Cost may be lesser than 4500 as quoted by dealer, if you do from outside.

Image source - TAI and Google

Attachments

Maruti Alto Fog lamp problem

I recently bought a locally made fog lamp (MARUTI OEM REPLICA) for my maruti alto for 978/- rupees. It's just been two days. When i took a look at both the reflector today morning, The right hand side reflector seems to be fine but the left hand side reflector seems to have lost it's reflectiveness and it looks very dull. Should i go ask for a replacement or something ? [confused]

As I suggested in my previous threads buying a fog lamp which is not OEM is waste of money. Try to check with where you bought.

Thats too cheap buddy.I installed fogs on my Alto 8months back at Rs.750/-(including installation charges with switches,wires n all).Using them daily though theres no fog out here n cars normally in the colony. Lights are superb,no fuses yet.But dont go for 150 ones cause a neighbour of mine went in for a local one at rs.400/-,his fogs lasted for 6mons only.The major factor with fogs available is life span.Almost all give equal amount of light.Mine is 12v 55w.Check out with some more shops.So in the nutshell dont give anyone more than rs.750/-(tats max) for the fogs, otherwise tell me i will courier them for you.:)
What do you mean by fog lamps only lasted for 6 months ? What went wrong ? What is the lifespan of fogs?

What do you mean by fog lamps only lasted for 6 months ? What went wrong ? What is the lifespan of fogs?
The bulbs went kaput, and the reflector faded due to water entry into the assembly. The best option is to purchase a decent foglamp assemble, upgrade the bulbs to philips/osram and seal the assembly appropriately.

@Akash, I'm attaching pictures of my right hand side and left hand side fog lamp respectively. My left hand side fog lamp has faded i guess. When i bought the fog lamps, i didn't bother to take a look at the lamps. Is this a manufacturing defect or due to usage (it has only been two days since i'm using it). Please do let me know what you think of this. It' just been two days since i bought the fog lamp and this has happened.

Attachments

Please do let me know what you think of this. It' just been two days since i bought the fog lamp and this has happened.
Like I mentioned earlier, you could try sealing the assembly by yourself.

How is the lighting effect apart for aesthetics.
The lighting improves after bulb upgrade, but to be honest, to me Fog lamp has always been more of a show thing over utility. If anyone wishes to have a better light throw, then I would suggest purchasing Hellas and getting them installed at the same foglamp slot.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned earlier, you could try sealing the assembly by yourself.

The lighting improves after bulb upgrade, but to be honest, to me Fog lamp has always been more of a show thing over utility. If anyone wishes to have a better light throw, then I would suggest purchasing Hellas and getting them installed at the same foglamp slot.
Okay. But is this a manufacturing defect. It is well sealed actually. What do you think ? And can i get hellas in the same slot ?! How come ?!

How is the lighting effect apart for aesthetics.
Actually it's good Anshuman8. When you switch off all the lights and just the fog lights. Visibility is there and the light throw is good. Not very bad actually. But when you switch on your main headlamps, you won't be able to see any difference. But upgrading to better bulbs will help in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. But is this a manufacturing defect. It is well sealed actually. What do you think ? And can i get hellas in the same slot ?! How come ?!
It is a manufacturing defect indeed. Look at the OE fogs of many cars. The ones on our Company's Accord havent faded yet, though the car is almost a decade old now!

By Hella installation, i meant that you could route the hooks/mounts through the assembly gap and get it installed there, though they will appear bigger for that place (because they are actually bigger), but thats the best solution you could go for if you are really concerned about the light throw.

Last edited:

It is a manufacturing defect indeed. Look at the OE fogs of many cars. The ones on our Company's Accord havent faded yet, though the car is almost a decade old now!

By Hella installation, i meant that you could route the hooks/mounts through the assembly gap and get it installed there, though they will appear bigger for that place (because they are actually bigger), but thats the best solution you could go for if you are really concerned about the light throw.
So i go to the place where i bought the fog lamps. Showed him the defective fog lamp and he said he will replace it. He replaced it and the fog lights were switched on the whole time till i reached home. But much to my displeasure, The left side FOG LAMP FADED like the previous one once again [frustration]. What could seriously be wrong? Is this also a manufacturing defect or some extra current is passed through this line alone and it is getting hot and fades away !? Help guys ! [confused]

So i go to the place where i bought the fog lamps. Showed him the defective fog lamp and he said he will replace it. He replaced it and the fog lights were switched on the whole time till i reached home. But much to my displeasure, The left side FOG LAMP FADED like the previous one once again [frustration]. What could seriously be wrong? Is this also a manufacturing defect or some extra current is passed through this line alone and it is getting hot and fades away !? Help guys ! [confused]

What is the watt of the bulb? If the bulb is generating over heat your reflectors get faded and damaged soon. You might need to use ceramic holders which would absorb the heat.

What is the watt of the bulb? If the bulb is generating over heat your reflectors get faded and damaged soon. You might need to use ceramic holders which would absorb the heat.
I don't know what the wattage of the bulb is. But the RHS fog lamp assembly is fine even after using it for a long time. The LHS had faded the first time when i bought it and now when i replaced it the same thing is happening. If the wattage of the bulb is higher, then the RHS assembly should also be affected right? Why alone the LHS assembly ?! [confused]

Top Bottom