Finally a new car to replace Safari (Booked Tata Aria!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

350Z

Core Team
@ 350Z Hey that the petrol in MT , we want a diesel with MT. Yeah i am waiting for the new Sonata(i was informed by zinam a new one is coming) and the Santa-Fe for now! I think the OTR price of the 320d is around 33Lakhs which is slightly above our limits!
If you read again, I mentioned BMW 3-Series Corporate Edition which retails for about Rs.23 – 24 Lakhs, You’ll need to inquire about it with the dealer for more. But if the place where car is going to be driven is rugged, then it’ll be totally unfair for the beauty because that car is made to be enjoyed on plain streets or highways to get most out of the “Sheer Driving Pleasure”. That is why a SUV suits you better. Wait by the end of this year which will fetch you a couple of benefits: A healthy deal and an idea of new launches. Hyundai Santa Fe makes worth the wait, or if only 5 Persons are going to travel most, maybe Skoda Yeti as well?

Is Jetta really a bad choice or not worth enough forthe money?
Jetta is worth for the money but not worth for your requirement.

PS: There are no rumors about official launch of New Sonata anytime soon. The new generation model has itself recently made debut Internationally.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Why not look at the Merc C220 CDi too? Price ~ Rs 24.5 ex-Chennai? It seems a real sweet deal.
The BMW 320d costs roughly the same too.

Thread Starter #18
@ 350Z Well then will check out the corporate edition. Thanks! And no i don think my dad is okay with a Skoda! He infact is not accepting VW itself leave alone Skoda.

@ Arkin Well am not really a fan of Mercedes but will check it out as you mentioned.

@ All Guys don expect the car to be driven throughout bad roads always. Its like we drive almost 100km daily. Out of that 100kms only 5 kms is bad roads. Now think guys , is it wise going in for an SUV or a sedan? For a good driving experience in those 5kms i don want to lose the driving pleasure and the comfort of a sedan for the rest of the 95kms.

Now tell guys wont a sedan suit us more? Moreover we will be travelling only by car out of station always. So those are good 4 lour lane roads for the maximum of the trip and only a small part of the trip will involve bad roads!

What you are saying Dhaya, makes perfect sense, I must say. Provided the Sedan has decent GC, the 5km of bad terrain will be a waltz too. Also, Tell your dad that there is a Merc within reach, let's see his reaction.:biggrin:

I feel the 320d and the 220 Cdi are pretty neat options. It all depends on what your dad says about the VW.

Hey harsha! while reading whole post , i was thinking about pajero , but you have said it.

Get a pajero , its only minus is dated look , but its masculine , and its Mitsubishi , you have a good dealer network in chennai.
It has masculine look , bad roads handling, safer (no idea abt airbags in them)

Next thing i suggest is captiva extreme,
one of my friend have booked and still waiting.
That is also a good car to own.

Thread Starter #22
@ Arkin If it comes between a Merc and a Bmw , its Bmw for me!

@ Sriharsha Junior , we are not looking at Mitsubishi with its history for poor A.S.S . We prefer to stay away from Mitsubishi. Well if sedan is fine , which sedan?

@ Ilango No bro as i said before we are not looking at Mitsubishi. My dad is concerned about the A.S.S of a Skoda , VW and Chevy which are selling well even today. So i don think my dad will even consider the Pajero. Plus i am not okay with its looks. Captiva yes i too liked it.

@ ALL Guys am more inclined towards a sedan and i keep getting suggestions for SUV'S itself![cry] After driving my Verna for almost a year i feel a sedan is what i need more than an SUV at this price. The car will be driven maximum only around 5-10kms a day in bad roads , rest of the 70-80 kms are pure four lane highways. And again we will be using the same car for highway trips , so again good roads for almost most of the trips. Why am mentioning this is that many of you people are referring to SUV'S saying its good for bad roads.

BTW forgot another option(sorry SUV again) -- the MS grand vitara -- ~17 lakhs
hmmmm sedans.....
there are quite a few options.
the VW jetta as you mentioned -- ~14 lakhs
skoda laura -- ~15.3 lakhs
hyundai sonata CRDi -- ~16 lakhs
skoda superb -- ~18 lakhs
honda accord -- ~19.5 lakhs
VW passat -- ~19 lakhs
these are the optons i am able to remember now.
so guys suggest some more SEDANS for dhaya if i have missed out any.
PS:i am a noob when it comes to imports like BMW,audi etc.

EDIT:else buy a fiat 500 or a VW beetle. :stupid:

Thread Starter #24
@ Sriharsha Junior , i believe Vitara is only available in petrol=ruled out!

Laura= As i already mentioned before dad is concerned about Skoda's A.S.S and i also find the Laura to be a bit more noisy when compared to the Jetta. And also when it comes to features and comfort the Jetta scores more.

Sonata CRDI- When i opened my mouth saying Sonata to my dad , he replied immediately no Sonata. It has got a bad image in my dad's mind and to be frank am not too interested in Sonata either. Looks dated to me!

Superb- A great car but sadly comes only in AT when it comes to diesel. Else a perfect car which suits all our needs. But again a Skoda=Bad A.S.S!

Accord and Passat- Sadly no diesel versions available in both. If Honda had a diesel i would have preferred a diesel Civic straightaway!

Even am a noob when it comes to vintages and imports junior!

500 and Beetle ruled out as the car has to seat four!:lol!:

Out of your list only Jetta emerges out for me! I want to know if there are any other worthy choices other than the 320d corporate edition and the Merc suggested by Arkin.

Thread Starter #26
AFAIK Superb does not have a MT in diesel.

Well a Bmw or a Merc only if it comes around 26-29Lakhs OTR else i can think of only Jetta at 19Lakhs OTR.

Go ahead with jetta if a sedan , elsea captiva for suv.

If i was in your place , i would go for captiva , as i like suv more than a sedan.

Skoda or vw , both are almost same.

check with vw ppl in chennai about the service , there exp with the service people.

Go to a good parking lot , find some vw coming , speak to them.

I was late in recommending the superb , just now checked the thread , he he he.

To be still free on pocket , a diesel lancer? err 2 diesel lancer for your budget :lol!:

@dhaya- I too feel you should opt for a Sedan if the bad stretch running is confined to so less kms. And Jetta is a fine choice, i hope its maintenance isnt too heavy on pockets.

ilango[speed thirst];47155 said:
Go ahead with jetta if a sedan , elsea captiva for suv.
If i was in your place , i would go for captiva , as i like suv more than a sedan.
Skoda or vw , both are almost same.
check with vw ppl in chennai about the service , there exp with the service people.
Go to a good parking lot , find some vw coming , speak to them.
I was late in recommending the superb , just now checked the thread , he he he.
To be still free on pocket , a diesel lancer? err 2 diesel lancer for your budget :lol!:
+1. No one other than a driver/owner can tell you about the real cost of maintenance of Jetta or any other car.

Checked out the onroad price(Chennai) of Jetta TDI. Here are the price quotes.

2.0L TDI Trendline- 16,95,395
2.0L TDI Comfortline- 18,91,246

Last edited:
What i would say is still go for a SUV. you will need to drive through that 5 kms of bad roads everyday. generally, SUVs are built tougher than sedans & they use more heavy duty parts compared to sedans, so they can withstand that abuse on a daily basis.

whats the point in having a cool sedan with rattles & squeaks after 6 months?

AMG

Suspended
1.What about the re-sale value of Jetta being a VW?

2. What about VW'S service back-up?

3.Are the spares of VW costly? We are ready to pay a periodic maintenance bill of around 9-10k for every 15k kms!

4.What about the FE of the Jetta? Is it decent enough?

5. And finally when is the new Jetta expected next year? Will this further lower the re-sale value?

My other question is , is there any other car which is expected to be launched soon which fits my requirements and budget? I can wait sometime but as people say" MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES" am not ready to wait too long as i want to buy a car when my dad is in the mood! I can wait maximum of maybe 2-3 months!

So guys is the Jetta really worth it? Or is there any problem with the Jetta or VW in general? Or is it worth waiting for some other car to be launched?
1: VW and skoda have an equally bad reputation. Expect resale to be same as a laura.

2: VW service and A.S.S. is very expensive.

3: Yes, they are

4: Decent. Not great, not bad.

5:March 2011 new jetta launch Source: indian autos blog

My advice:
Get a BMW.

You may also wait for the X1 or the Yeti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom