Filling Nitrogen in Tyres

350Z

Core Team
Filled nitrogen for the first time in Fiesta. Here it costs Rs.25 per tyre for cars and Rs.20 per tyre for bikes. Membership for Rs.125 includes three top-ups.

Drive Safe,
350Z
My last refill lasted for almost one and a half month. Topped up again and this time got membership as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Nitrogen being better than Air - a Joke?

I think so, I have never felt any difference between using nitrogen and air. However ever as per experiments done by racing creeds, it been proved that using pure nitrogen instead of air help in predicting exact pressure of air in tyres during a race.

Since we are normal civilians, there is no need for us filling tyres with pure nitrogen and also I seriously doubt we could find a station which fills pure nitrogen during long drives.

kkn13

Suspended

Nitrogen is better if you do alot of highway runs and dont want to constantly top up air in the tyres since leakage chances are lesser with Nitrogen as it doesnt get affected by heat , the way regular air does

For city runs, regular air is best imho

I personally always fill Nitrogen in my car tyres. It doesn't leak fast like normal air and thats the main and I think only advantage over filling normal air. You can refill air after a month easily and there would be minimal drop in air pressure (This is true only if you fill Nitrogen everytime and not mix with normal air as oxygen would be present in normal air which causes leaking). If you just fill air, refilling in 1 month is risky as pressure would drop drastically. It's not a joke and I prefer Nitrogen.

Nitrogen is worse than Air. Nitrogen is just a hoax to make money. Lots of experiments have been done on this. Even MythBusters on Discovery channel have experimented on this. Air is better than Nitrogen any time. Humans have a tendency to believe in propaganda. North Koreans think they are the best, British think they are the best, Jews think they are the best, every one thinks they are the best! who can argue? If you think Nitrogen is better put Nitrogen.
If there is a god, he must be thinking, "Dude, i made a nice combo of gases which wont expand / contract rapidly with temperature change, still these humans are using Nitrogen in tyres, what the hell".
When ever my brother in-law uses my car, he some how manages to find a nitrogen filling station on the way and refills all tyres with nitrogen. I have never argued with him on this, and i don't think i should.

Last edited:
Hello,
I always filled up Nitrogen Air in my BMW X1 RFT tyres
When I start drive my car and after few KMs, if I check TPMS, it shows 31 in all tyres. After few KMs it shows 32 in all tyres and it keep on increasing to 34.
My understanding if we use Nitrogen, it will not increase the pressure inside the tyres. But here it keeps on increasing.
Why it is happening like this.
Can experts explain me in this.

Thanks.

Hello,
When I start drive my car and after few KMs, if I check TPMS, it shows 31 in all tyres. After few KMs it shows 32 in all tyres and it keep on increasing to 34.
My understanding if we use Nitrogen, it will not increase the pressure inside the tyres. But here it keeps on increasing.

Thanks.

Any one can reply to my above question.

This link does say that Nitrogen and air indeed do not differ much. Nitrogen in Tires | Is Nitrogen Better Than Air in Tires?. I do not however have the technical prowess to validate it. (Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics were never my strong subjects lol). However, air is in fact 71% nitrogen. The pressure changes occurring with respect to temperature variations can definitely show higher readings. However, if your readings are increasing too much, check the tyre temperatures just to be safe. If something is binding the wheels and heating them up prematurely, that could be a problem.

Hello,

Thanks.
Its not that with Nitrogen, there will be no increase in Tyre pressure at all on driving. Its just that compared to regular air, the increase will be proportionally less(very miniscule) as far as I have read, every 6 degree farnheit, the pressure in tyre increases by 1Psi. This is applicable to general air as well as Nitrogen. So regarding pressure increase and decrease due to temprature there is really no difference for both, its all almost the same, onlyplace where nitrogen makes difference in regular cars is maintaining the pressure in tyre(read loss of pressure) as seepage of air from tyre is faster than nitrogen. Otherwise the application of Nitrogen in preformance vehicles like racing cars is a completely distinct science & a different ball game. So the increase in tyre pressure upto 2PSI during running looks normal.

On a completely separate note, I would like to mention an incident, I was driving driving from Mumbai to Pune on expressway a few days ago, where I was at the fuel station just before the ghats starts, it was probably around 4.30 early morning, was filling up my tyres, when another car pulled over near the Nitrogen bunk, the person was looking to fill nitrogen and the nitrogen machine was locked (I had noticed this person checking tyre pressure while refilling fuel by pressing tyre with feet he looked concerned though), and the employee with the keys was nowhere to be found. The other employee who was handling normal air, suggested to fill air and get the required pressure rather than running with low pressure in ghats, I know that in worst scenario one should top up normal air, if nitrogen is not available. But this person just drove away in frustation, imagine how dangerous it is. So there is a lot of awareness required in many car users regarding use of nitrogen in tyres, dos and donts and whats permissable. Nothing against nitrogen but its unavailability in rural hinterlands and all highways in India really doesnt make sence as compared to air.

Last edited:
I have been filling Nitrogen since I have my Grey Beast(Check ownership My Glistening Grey Maruti Suzuki Swift Reborn ZXi (2015) AKA Grey Beast).
Advantage-
1.Lasts more than a month.
2. Better safety for Rims, if at all a sidewall leak occurs, it won't damage the rims easily, as leak will be less than normal air(If a severe crack, say normal air goes in a minute, this one will take nearly one min).
3. Tyre less susceptible to stone getting in the grooves(As in N2, the pressure is maintained).
4.Less frequent air checks, less wear to valve.

Disadvantages
1. As @Suhelmak sir told, in highways N2 pumps are less even now, or ones claiming N2 actually is a con. (You can check by the machine, N2 machines have a membrane, normal ones have a compressor alone)
2. During punctures, if you don't have N2 facility, you should fill with air, then again deflate the air and fill N2. (Double job).
3. A personal point(Different pumps have different grades of N2, based on their machine calibration the purity of N2 is different). I have refilled once from a reputed Tyre outlet- Rohini from Panavila, Tvm, their N2 lasted just 2 weeks. Usually I fill from Ultra Tyre Spa, which lasts more than 1 month.

Guys I'd love your opinion on this. I have bought a new renault kiger. Tyre Ceat secura drive size 195/60 R 16. What I've done is deflated my tyre of air and filled nitrogen in all 4 tyres till 32 psi. I'm finding the ride floaty on Potholes. Other thing. When I check the psi on air bunker. It shows 36 psi. But right next to it where I filled the nitrogen at 32 psi.
I'm so confused.
The suspension is really beautiful no doubt. But I think there's some error in my understanding. I'm sure that 32 psi of nitrogen equals 36 psi of normal air. I rechecked and double checked at another petrol pump. Please help. I don't know if I'm making sense.
Shall I just fill recommended renault psi of 36 BUT WITH NITROGEN?

Top Bottom