Filling Nitrogen in Tyres

My update is that with nitrogen, the loss in all the tyres is at a much slower rate. its been 1 month & the tyre has not lost even 1 psi!

anyways guys, i have a query. i had recently filled nitrogen in my scorpio's tyres. mahindra recommends 32 psi for air. i filled 32 psi of nitrogen in all tyres. however, after that the ride quality became a bit harsh & stiff.

i spoke to a friend of mine who is apparently a professor & he said that since density of nitrogen is more than air, you should actually fill less of nitrogen as compared to air. is this true?

anyways, i just went to the tyre shop again thinking that i would reduce the pressure to 31 psi but the technician recommended me to reduce it to 30 psi stating that all scorpio owners fill 30 psi. i was a bit hesistant at first but recollecting what my friend had said, i asked him to reduce till 30 psi thinking that it will be equivalent to 31 psi of air. now the ride is back to normal & very comfortable.

My ride becomes stiff even if i fill with 32psi of air so nitrogen being dense must be giving a lot more of a harsh ride!

Anyways this is new to me will keep in mind from now! Thanks for the update here bro!!

Filling lower pressures than recommended will always give you a softer ride ... but what effect has it had on your FE??

Hi Raj
31psi is the better pressure for scorpio.
I fill it once in 4 months.
And even after a long drive the max pressure in tyre was 34.5, Which is not bad at all.

Tha may be due to more friction of tyre in low pressure.

Do 1 psi do that much? i have too experience that. drive a car with 28 psi in a smooth highway , cruising will be superb.

ilango[speed thirst];28279 said:
Do 1 psi do that much? .
I think the problem is with the air filled
No one fill the air when the tire is cold (which vehicle company says)
when you get tire pressure checked the car has run some kms(may be meters)
then it shows more reading of pressure
e.g.if you have 30psi then it is actually 27-28psi,& when you refill it with 32psi
it is only 29-30 psi so you fill the ride smooth
but in case of Nitrogen(N) filled tires
the difference is less so when you fill 32psi it inflates to near about 31-32psi
so the ride is stiff

pls correct me if i am wrong

personally dont have any vehicle with N2 filled tires

My take on the effectiness of Nitrogen is that Nitrogen withstands temperature changes at a greater range than normal air. Air does expand when temperature raises but Nitrogen might not, or expands to a much lesser extent.
Hence the tyre maintains its characterstics over different conditions providing a more consistent feedback to the car. This would also mean that tyre wear reduces significantly.

But I am surprised by the drop in PSI in Arun's case. May be an isolated case (?)

Re: nitrogen filling in tyres

I don think it affects the performance in any means. Just that it retains inside the tyre for a longer time and does not heat up more under highway drives unlike normal air.

Top Bottom