Figo - Wobbling at Low Speeds

Thread Starter #16
The issue crops again... Rather it was existing even earlier, but kinda disappeared after the recent service with Ford ASS beginning this month. As I didn't opt for Wheel Alignment & Balancing at ASS, I did that with MRF T & S in Kalyan Nagar last Thursday. The Wobbling issue is back again...

When I went back to them yesterday, he is accepting the issue, but blaming the rear tyres claiming they are worn out. I won't buy his reason as they are just 30K KMs old and most importantly, same tyres were there even before the Alignment & Balancing.

Can anyone suggest what the issue could be? Improper Alignment or Balancing? Or anything else?

Thinking of checking the Alignment & Balancing with Ford ASS.

Thread Starter #17
Update: Even after repeated checks with FASS the issue persists. Hence, escalated it to Ford India.

Last week, the General Manager and Service Manager of Metro Ford visited my place and tested my car. As usual, they aren't able to feel any abnormality. However, they insisted me to leave the car at garage for a thorough checkup. Result??? Nothing much to say as it was the same again[frustration]

Now, they are blaming the Wheel Rims that both of rear is bent and they tried fixing it as much as they can. Otherwise, I should change it to new ones... If the rims were bent, why didn't I had this issue for sometime after the recent service.

I did check the RL Wheel lifting it with Jack. It does wobble... [shock] So, is the RL Wheel causing the Wobbling / Unsettled ride?

Now, seems someone from Ford India, Chennai is visiting Bangalore and I have been asked to get my vehicle to him for a checkup tomorrow.

Lets see what he is gonna say... Keep you posted.

Thread Starter #19
Update: Ford's Regional Manager of South and the Metro Ford's General Manager checked my car today. 3 of the Rims are bent (FL, RL & RR) and the RL is more compared to the other two. However, the bents aren't any major as per Ford.

They drove the car and said not much of abnormality could be found, however, not negligible as well. As per them, it's manageable, but not really convincing to me.

The only choice is to change those rims, which aren't worth the cost. May be, it's time for Alloys or live with it as long as possible. [cry]

Any suggestions???

Thread Starter #21
Update: As I was suspecting the Tyres against Rims, couple of Tyre shops in Bangalore confirmed the same. Hence, Ford arranged for a Rep from MRF to inspect the tyres last week. After the same, the MRF Rep asked me to get the Wheel Alignment & Balancing done from MRF mentioning Ford may not do it better. Well, it was always done from MRF and the issue started right after the WA & WB from one such MRF T & S. He still insisted me to get it done from a MRF T & S that he would suggest.

Did the same and yet, no better results. After which, the MRF Rep checked the WA report and mentioned that the tyres have worn one sided (inside) and that could be due to misalignment. He is saying that the Camber / Caster would have a problem, which is mechanical and MRF will not be able to do it. They can only do Toe in & out. I am not ready to buy this point as their WA clearly reads about Caster adjustments. Moreover, since the WAs were done from MRF always, Ford won’t accept any such issues and hence, MRF is in stake. So he is trying to give some crap reasons to me and escape…

I have asked him to give a detailed report on the issue to Ford and let Ford come out with their opinion and final decision. He agreed to give it by tomorrow. Let’s see…

BTW, the WA was done with MRF T & S in May 2012, Nov 2012 & now again and from Ford in Nov 2012 twice. The wobbling issue started only after the WA from MRF in Nov 2012. If the camber / caster having problems, wouldn’t have checked it during the Alignments done by them?

Hi,
I am facing the same problem; my Figo's rear left wheel wobbles at low speed.
Background - for this problem I took the vehicle to Lathangi Ford service centre, they advised wheel alignment and balancing. It s only 18k run vehicle and there was not issue with balancing/alignment as I experienced driving the vehicle. Well, I did it thinking they may be right and it became worst. Along with the wobbling, now the alignment issue came; car tends to go left. 4-5 times I visited Lathangi and as usual they always find the vehicle perfect, "No problem Sir". However, 2 times they did alignment and no improvement. Suddenly they realized steering is not straight (which was absolutely fine). Since the vehicle was moving towards left, they made some adjustment in the steering rod (the screw behind the clutch pedal) to make the car go straight. Now, I don't feel the charm of steering play. While taking turn, I feel I am rotating the steering more than earlier.
Only for 2 days the wobbling was not there but now wobbling always exists.
Any advise for the left rear wheel wobbling and the steering setting. Which service centre in Bangalore would be good for such problem?[confused]

Thread Starter #23
Hi,
I am facing the same problem; my Figo's rear left wheel wobbles at low speed.
Background - for this problem I took the vehicle to Lathangi Ford service centre, they advised wheel alignment and balancing. It s only 18k run vehicle and there was not issue with balancing/alignment as I experienced driving the vehicle. Well, I did it thinking they may be right and it became worst. Along with the wobbling, now the alignment issue came; car tends to go left. 4-5 times I visited Lathangi and as usual they always find the vehicle perfect, "No problem Sir". However, 2 times they did alignment and no improvement. Suddenly they realized steering is not straight (which was absolutely fine). Since the vehicle was moving towards left, they made some adjustment in the steering rod (the screw behind the clutch pedal) to make the car go straight. Now, I don't feel the charm of steering play. While taking turn, I feel I am rotating the steering more than earlier.
Only for 2 days the wobbling was not there but now wobbling always exists.
Hi Sajib - Welcome to TAI & Figo family... [clap]

If you are sure to be rear wheel, I don't find it to be an alignment issue as only Front Wheels are aligned, not the rear. So, how do you ascertain it to be rear? Any visible bends in the rim and first of all, it's a steel rim and not alloy?

Best thing to do is, NEVER go to Ford Service Center for alignment! They fleece with heavy charges which is done at half of it's cost outside. Go to some reputed alignment centers like Madhus, Tyre Professional, Vijay's etc. else, Bridgestone Select outlets are good. They charge just 200 bucks for alignment.

Next, if you find the alignment to be perfect. Check for balancing. If that's fine again, then ask them to remove the tyres and install them inside out. Means, the side which was facing outside should go inside. One of the reasons for wobble is uneven wear, which makes the tyres not to be settled on the road and thus wobble the entire car. Swapping it inside out will not solve the issue, but will wear the tyre evenly after few 100 KMs. That means, you won't find a difference immediatly, but after few 100 or 1000 KMs once the tyre is evenly worn.

However, it can recur unless we find and fix the actual cause of tyres wearing one sided. It could be simple as an misalignment. If so, swapping the tyres and aligning it properly will fix it permanently. Further, observe for such one sided or uneven wears often and do alignment, balancing and rotation every 3 - 5K KMs.

Please keep the thread updated.

Any advise for the left rear wheel wobbling and the steering setting.
Yes of course. Steering, suspension, wheels, tyres, bearings, joints etc. etc.. all contributes the ride and handling. One of these missing the original value can show you the difference. A misaligned, improper wheels can tighten the steering and vise versa.

Which service centre in Bangalore would be good for such problem?
Fact is None! I know, it maybe disappointing, but that's the fact. However, Metro Ford is better in the worst lot, I can say. They would at least try to fix the issue.

Thanks for welcoming me in the group. [:D]

If you are sure to be rear wheel, I don't find it to be an alignment issue as only Front Wheels are aligned, not the rear. So, how do you ascertain it to be rear? Any visible bends in the rim and first of all, it's a steel rim and not alloy?
-It's a steel rim and no visible bend; I told my friend to drive and I was standing outside to check. The wobbling is visible at the left rear wheel (easily felt while driving as well).

Best thing to do is, NEVER go to Ford Service Center for alignment! They fleece with heavy charges which is done at half of it's cost outside. Go to some reputed alignment centers like Madhus, Tyre Professional, Vijay's etc. else, Bridgestone Select outlets are good. They charge just 200 bucks for alignment.
- I agree, I did a big mistake going to the Ford Service Center. Ford charged me Rs.1800 [frustration]; whereas in Bommanahalli Bridgestone it's 900.

Next, if you find the alignment to be perfect. Check for balancing. If that's fine again, then ask them to remove the tyres and install them inside out. Means, the side which was facing outside should go inside. One of the reasons for wobble is uneven wear, which makes the tyres not to be settled on the road and thus wobble the entire car. Swapping it inside out will not solve the issue, but will wear the tyre evenly after few 100 KMs. That means, you won't find a difference immediatly, but after few 100 or 1000 KMs once the tyre is evenly worn.

However, it can recur unless we find and fix the actual cause of tyres wearing one sided. It could be simple as an misalignment. If so, swapping the tyres and aligning it properly will fix it permanently. Further, observe for such one sided or uneven wears often and do alignment, balancing and rotation every 3 - 5K KMs.
-yes, the rear left Tyre has unevenly worn a little that the Ford guys told me. But I never realized it will make such big difference in driving. To find out the reason for wobbling, I did not swap the tyres yet.
I am not comfortable with the alignment as steering setting is changed; I have to now tilt it little right while driving.
Earlier it was excellent; at 160kmph the steering handling response was so amazing which I could feel. Now, at 100kmph I feel scared.

Yes of course. Steering, suspension, wheels, tyres, bearings, joints etc. etc.. all contributes the ride and handling. One of these missing the original value can show you the difference. A misaligned, improper wheels can tighten the steering and vise versa.
-For the steering issue I am planning to visit the showroom (as advised Metro Ford), & check the new vehicle steering settings. Later ask them to set.

I will keep you all updated...

Finally problem is solved. i took the vehicle again to Lathangi Ford Service just to check what they say. Like earlier, they said "alignment is fine & don't feel any difference, it may be in my mind[anger], hahaha! Give it for servicing, we will check thoroughly." I said, ok I will give and took a decision to do wheel balancing and alignment elsewhere again.
While going to E.ctiy Phase 1, in right hand side there is a Bridgestone tyre shop where I decided to do WB&A. Trust me, once they did it the vehicle got it's old charm. I am happy to take the decision to do alignment again.
This time I did the wheel rotation due to the wobbling problem. So, back left side wheel is now on Front Left side. After driving few days, I realized the wobbling still persists. Later, as advised by Figoian, I installed the wheel inside out. Now the wobbling seems to be less and I hope it will disappear slowly.
Thank you Figoian...[:D]

Thread Starter #26
Finally problem is solved. Later, as advised by Figoian, I installed the wheel inside out. Now the wobbling seems to be less and I hope it will disappear slowly.
Thank you Figoian...[:D]
Great that I could help.

However, as I mentioned earlier you should find and fix the cause for this one side wear, else it would recur. All the best.

Mr.Figoian,Can you spent some money on your car.Its definitely gonna be a costly affair.
2 questions to you-1.Is your tyre tubeless/with a tube.
2.When did you last check your alignment before the issue cropped up first.

Wobbed rides are mostly due to-
1.Incorrect tyre pressures.
2.Misaligned and unbalanced wheels.
3.Steering Hydraulics issues.
4.Suspension issues.

Never do alignment in ASS,They may be qualified mechanics but not a experienced technician on wheels.

You can go for either alloys or normal steel rims,But make sure you put correct profile of tyres.

Top Bottom