FIGO Diesel Which Engine Oil is Best

Thread Starter #1
FIGO Diesel Which Engine Oil is Best

am just 5 months old to cars [yeah got licensed and bought my beauty on Jan 11)

here are my questions

Changed oil during first service 2000 kms they used Castrol GTX @ metro ford millers road bangalore

1. friends are telling me to change oil at 5000 kms interval, blue book[manual] suggests 10000 kms for each oil change, which one i have to go with [confused]

2. manual says motocraft oil 10 w - 30 grade, but dealer said in india ford recommended castrol
Shall we try Shell Helix or Total or some other good brand ?

Did any one tried other brands apart from motocraft or castrol

3. which one is good for figo is it mineral or semi synthetic or synthetic ?

Experts please help

@ 1 - Your friend's suggestion is a good one. I would change the opil rather at the 5,000kms than at longer intervals.

@ 2 - I do not like Castrol at all. I never had good experiences with it and neither in specific tests.

Shell, BP, Total, Valvoline and many others are very good oils. Most important is to stick to the right viscosity. 10w30 or 10w40 is the correct oil to use. It also helps when it is a low ash variant, which is better for turbo applications.

@ 3 - You will be pushed to find a 10w30 mineral and if you find one it will be rather expensive. However, any 10w30 will be the right choice.

Thread Starter #5
Hi drifter and dodge viper,Thanks for the clarification.One more doubt,It may sounds silly, what else I need to change during every oil change. (Do I have to change the oil filter or something else along with it)Read on some forum that if you use synthetic it would last for 15000 kms is that true,For my bike I used motul 300 v fully synthetic oil which is damn goodI believe motul does have diesel engine oils for cars will have to check it outFor bike the company recomended mineral oil grade is 20 W 40 but on synthetic the grade 5 W 40 or 10 W 40Believe same thing is applicable here for the car tooo.

When oils have been tested in high mileage testing they lasted in excess of 1,00,000km. But this has been done in 3 weeks. When oil is been used under the daily driving conditions then we talk a different story as unburnt fuel and carbon deposits pass the piston rings and contaminate the oil leading to a break down of the oil as well as saturating the detergents. Therefore it does need changing not only at a set mileage but also not longer than six months.

changing the oil filter is recommended to be done every other oil change. However, I would change the filter every service.

As far as I know , you can use fully synthetic engine oil if car has done less then 100,000 KMs

I would suggest you to go for semi synthetic Castrol engine oils
Not sure which ones do you use for diesel car.
Mine is petrol turbo I use 10w50

As far as I know , you can use fully synthetic engine oil if car has done less then 100,000 KMs

I would suggest you to go for semi synthetic Castrol engine oils
Not sure which ones do you use for diesel car.
Mine is petrol turbo I use 10w50
Most oils are better than Castrol and cheaper too.

Whether the engine has done less or more than 1,00,000km, you can use synthetic oils. High mileage engines benefit from a higher viscosity index unless they are certain engines that need the low viscosity for the hydraulic lifters.

Thread Starter #9
Castrol is not a bad oil, and at the same time its not among the best, Moreover we have more counterfleet and duplicate oil with castrol name on it, that made me stay away from it.

Castrol is not a bad oil, and at the same time its not among the best, Moreover we have more counterfleet and duplicate oil with castrol name on it, that made me stay away from it.
I have seen too many break downs with Castrol in my time, which is why I stay clear of it.

Also when making extensive load tests with different Castrol oils we always had the worst results. Even super market oils were better.

The top tuners in Europe do not use Castrol.

Thread Starter #12

I am not here to argue. However, you started a thread and asked for advice.

And advise is what I have given from a wealth of experience and working for close to 32 years in the field.

I do not allow any of my customers I have built performance and race engines for, to use Castrol. My associates do not use Castrol, Mountune doesn't, Prodrive doesn't. The big European race teams don't.

I have seen to many problems with it in my career. If you want to dismiss professional experience then this is fine with me.

The only question I have then is:

Why do you ask what the best oil is for the Figo Diesel when you know the answer?

Thread Starter #15
I am not here to argue. However, you started a thread and asked for advice.

And advise is what I have given from a wealth of experience and working for close to 32 years in the field.

I do not allow any of my customers I have built performance and race engines for, to use Castrol. My associates do not use Castrol, Mountune doesn't, Prodrive doesn't. The big European race teams don't.

I have seen to many problems with it in my career. If you want to dismiss professional experience then this is fine with me.

The only question I have then is:

Why do you ask what the best oil is for the Figo Diesel when you know the answer?
Sorry sir,

Actually I was not arguing,with you, if you read my previous post properly you can find that one as a repeated post.

I was benifited a lot from TAI and experianced members like you, am not at all elidgble to argue with you as your experince is equvelent to my age, well you like it are not virtually you guys are my gurus

And for the repeat post the credit should go to my poor blackberry mobile and my ignorance, what to do I have to relay on it because of my profession.

Now my confusion is to find the right oil for my car.

Am new to cars pardon me if the following questions sounds silly.

Q 1 does diesel cars need a diffrent oil rather than the one used for petrol vehicles.

Q 2 if yes please tell me the specification as both petrol and diesel vehicle goes well with the same grade i-e 5W-30

Q 3 I am good at selecting oil for my bike but if it comes to cars am still a baby sitter have to learn a lot with out spoiling my car, so am here. So please name few oils brands with spec details that go good for my diesel figo

Top Bottom