Fiat 500 SUV

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Fiat will be bringing an AWD variant of its acclaimed 500 minicar to market in an effort to compete with the slew of recently launched and upcoming models from Mini. The Italian carmaker will release a car next year with a distinct wagon-like appearance, which we previewed earlier in our story on the Fiat 500 Giardinetta. Part of the reason for launching a larger version of the 500 is due to the release of Mini's Clubman, which the 500 Giardinetta will hope to steal sales away from. The new AWD variant, based on the Giardinetta, will go up against Mini’s own upcoming crossover.

This AWD Fiat 500 will use the same 4WD system used in the Panda 4x4 hatch, with which the 500 already shares its platform. This should help keep development costs fairly low, and this in turn will mean a better deal for customers when it appears in showrooms late next year.

Previous reports speculated that Fiat will be trying to sell around 32,000 units of the Giardinetta globally every year, and when the car finally arrives it should see Mini looking at least a little concerned with its added functionality.

If you can't wait until next year to get your hands on a wagon variant of the Fiat 500, you can check out this example produced by Italian coach-builder Castagna. Nicknamed the Woody Wagon (thanks to its wood trimmings), that model was 30cm longer than the production Fiat 500 and should give a good indication as to what the actual Giardinetta model could look like. Source: motorauthority

fiat-500-suv.jpg

Sure to be the cutest looking SUV. Some people might feel it lacks the macho look. I'm guessing it will be more of a soft-roader. Was the old gen Fiat 500 too available in an SUV form? Also what engine does this sport?

@ Arkin Yeah i know that the rear will have a small seat but that will be small. SUV'S are meant to carry more people and offer more space atleast 7 people. But this 500 cant do things a normal SUV can do!

@ Arkin Yeah i know that the rear will have a small seat but that will be small. SUV'S are meant to carry more people and offer more space atleast 7 people. But this 500 cant do things a normal SUV can do!
I beg to differ. An MUV is meant to carry at least 7 people. Many SUVs like the CRV seat just 5. There are many 2 door Pajeros and Jimnys.

Thread Starter #13

AMG

Suspended
Even the 500 doesnt have a pink option.

So there is no question of pink in this SUV.

I beg to differ. An MUV is meant to carry at least 7 people. Many SUVs like the CRV seat just 5. There are many 2 door Pajeros and Jimnys.

Honda CRV is Compact Crossover SUV as per definition. Mitsubishi Pajero is a SUV for sure. Suzuki Jimny is a SUV as well.

Also note that SUVs are not defined by their seating capacity. Instead the definition is based on its capabilities as Arkin has pointed out.

Top Bottom