Feel Like God: Bajaj Avenger Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Background

My first passion in motoring was bikes and cars came just a few years back. During both my graduation and post graduation, driven a good no. of bikes for which I thank all my friends, friends of friends, unknown juniors, hostel mates and not so familiar hostel mates (Its such a fun to ask for bike keys from an unknown hostel mate). I feel lucky that learned cycling quite early in life and used to enjoy younger days with my Hercules MTB cycle. I learned 'balance' then.

So I have driven pulsars 150, 180, 200, 220, avenger; Karizma (old one); Bullet classic and quite a few others to elongate the list. A higher cc bike is what I always preferred but I liked pulsar 200 and Avenger the most that suited my driving style and physique, the latter of which is strictly average.

Enough of story. Ehh.

Why Avenger:

Comfortable, different, stylish, power-220 CC and couple of less bhp than pulsar 220, in affordable price range, experiences with a friend's bike earlier. That's it. Quite an easy decision if someone likes Avenger. Thankfully there is no competition for this cruiser in this price range, otherwise choice of bike would again had been a headache.

Dealership Experiences:

I booked the bike in the nearest showroom here in Ghaziabad named 'Shiva Scooter Agency'. Scoooooooterrrr?? Yeah, this is the oldest automotive agency that happened in Ghaziabad decades ago when there used to be one year waiting on Bajaj Scooters. Anyways moving on, I had a look at other bikes too, liked the new Bajaj NS too but somehow Avenger was already decided. So, the dealer gave me a week's time for arrival of bike. Paid booking amount and pushed myself in agony of Waiting.

Few days later, the dealer informs me on asking that my bike may take one week more. Ahh, so typical of dealers. I was like really? Am I going to have this much of pain for the bike. Nah. Spoke to another dealer in Noida (Suman Motors, Sec-2) and he was more than happy to deliver the bike for cash on same day.

The day arrives, 16 Sept '12, and I spend almost entire day in making some formalities and getting the bike.
I don't understand how many bikes do people own in this part of world, do they even walk on foot?. In both the dealer premises, I could see thousands of bike and hundreds of people like in a fair. I and my friends started feeling claustrophobic within minutes of stay there. At these dealers I saw utter disrespect to such beautiful bikes, no regards for scratches, no regards for keeping tolerances between bikes. Utter mess.

Everything goes very smooth when you have cash! A friend drives the bike home while I follow him in my car.

Details:

Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i
Kilometers done on ODO on delivery: 4km
Date of manufacturing: 29 Aug '12
Insurer: Oriental
OTR: 86.8k
Color: Black. Sorry 'midnight black'. Still Black.
Accessories: A key ring with dealer's name. Wow!
Discounts: None. Nil. Zero. Sifar.
Two keys (one extra key I mean)

Driven around 40kms till now. My observations are:

Good things:

Comfort for rider and pillion
Good power in spite of such heavy weight
Looks- a simple yet stylish appearance. The steel & chrome effect on black body looks beautiful
Feedom (applicable to all bikes though): openness and fresh air is natural phenomenon wth bikes
Practicality for city commute

Bad things:

Fussy neutral- Bike throws an open challenge to find the neutral every time. It feels like an achievement when green neutral light glows there.
Keys: metallic keys with no rubbery grip. Pathetic. My fingers started to pain when I was trying the handle lock. Is it the dealer or Bajaj gives such keys?
Features: No low fuel warning. No slot to keep bike papers. Such an old model from Bajaj still no advancements in terms of features.

So, do I Feel Like God. Still discovering...
(For those who are thinking why bring God in this, 'Feel Like God' is the official tagline for Bajaj Avenger)

A few pics:

compIMG_3664.JPG

compIMG_3647.JPG

compIMG_3645.JPG

compIMG_3647.JPG

compIMG_3651.JPG

compIMG_3664.JPG

compIMG_3666.JPG

compIMG_3669.JPG

compIMG_3678.JPG

compIMG_3681.JPG

compIMG_3691.JPG

compIMG_3692.JPG

compIMG_3697.JPG

compIMG_3706.JPG

compIMG_3711.JPG

compIMG_3712.JPG

Last edited:
Righnow,Hearty Congratulation for Owning this Beauty ! [clap]

I feel lucky that learned cycling quite early in life and used to enjoy younger days with my Hercules MTB cycle. I learned 'balance' then.
Me too MTB guy, I still Hvae it in home going through modification process!

Enough of story. Ehh.
More the merrier,Eh who doesnt like stories

Am I going to have this much of pain for the bike. Nah. Spoke to another dealer in Noida (Suman Motors, Sec-2) and he was more than happy to deliver the bike for cash on same day.
That is beauty of Low selling good quality products. it never let you longing for somthings !!!!!

I and my friends started feeling claustrophobic within minutes of stay there. At these dealers I saw utter disrespect to such beautiful bikes, no regards for scratches, no regards for keeping tolerances between bikes. Utter mess.
Welcome to Desi service centre (Bajaj)

Color: Black. Sorry 'midnight black'. Still Black.
I dont know why Everybody buys a black Motorcycle,is that a colour (even me too [:D])
Accessories: A key ring with dealer's name. Wow!
Discounts: None. Nil. Zero. Sifar.
Two keys (one extra key I mean)
Keep it like a Medal !! sign of a natural biker!!!

Good things:
Feel like a King on a royal roll everywhere every time !!!

Bad things:

Fussy neutral- Bike throws an open challenge to find the neutral every time. It feels like an achievement when green neutral light glows there.
Just Hope that it will get better after sometime,I am too in your shoes.

Keys: metallic keys with no rubbery grip. Pathetic. My fingers started to pain when I was trying the handle lock. Is it the dealer or Bajaj gives such keys?
You asked for Metal right ? Motorcycle made of metal ?

Features: No low fuel warning. No slot to keep bike papers. Such an model from Bajaj still no advancements in terms of features.
I think we Can forgive bajaj for the price they ask ! (rather appreciate them)

So, do I Feel Like God. Still discovering...
(For those who are thinking why brng God in this, 'Feel Like God' is the official tagline for Bajaj Avenger)
You have no choice but feel like rolling through clouds sitting on an armchair ,Its absolutely Divine !
(Caution :dont nod off while riding )

Have a Pleasant Ownership and great riding !!!!

congrats on your new ride.
i think your review about avenger
my dads always crazy on it and wanted to own it.
but now its time for our purchase so waiting for right time.

Thread Starter #8
Righnow,Hearty Congratulation for Owning this Beauty !
Me too MTB guy, I still Hvae it in home going through modification process!
That's nice to know. Whats not nice is that my MTB was stolen after 3-4 years. [cry]

That is beauty of Low selling good quality products. it never let you longing for somthings !!!!!
Yeah, I think so. But I am surprised to see a very negligible no. of Avengers in the flock of other Bajajs. May be just 3-4 bikes among 100. Its quite strange to see such low sales of this bike. A unique market but still very low selling volumes.

Welcome to Desi service centre (Bajaj)
Pure Desi.

I dont know why Everybody buys a black Motorcycle,is that a colour (even me too)
I saw a new red avenger there. It was looking more attractive than black but we discussed and thought that red would fade sooner than black, and also my polo was red. So, black had to happen.

Keep it like a Medal !! sign of a natural biker!!!
You referring to the key chain right? Lets see, I am thinking about getting somethng better soon. May be a heavy, metallic Bajaj Logo.

Feel like a King on a royal roll everywhere every time !!!
Royal treatment especially when driving alone.

Just Hope that it will get better after sometime,I am too in your shoes.
Too much of attitude. huh. I keep it in gear most of the times and lock it.

You asked for Metal right ? Motorcycle made of metal ?
Yeah right. What was I thinking.

I think we Can forgive bajaj for the price they ask ! (rather appreciate them)
Yes, but they have a good product like avenger in hand, they could have kept the interest alive in market by bringing those features in. However, truth is that the round speedo, the km ticking (whatever the kilometer reading slot is called), and many things on bike feel very retro and raw, which actually I like. May be I am spoilt by features of my car that I am looking for things like low fuel indicator and all those gadgets. Anyways, the grudge has disappeared now.

You have no choice but feel like rolling through clouds sitting on an armchair ,Its absolutely Divine !
(Caution :dont nod off while riding )
Have a Pleasant Ownership and great riding !!!!
Yeah, who won't like to 'feel like God'.
Many thanks for comments and wishes Jayadev.

congrats on your new ride.
i think your review about avenger
my dads always crazy on it and wanted to own it.
but now its time for our purchase so waiting for right time.
Thanks Rajvel. I think you have eaten a few words in the second sentence!! I would be happy if you complete it. And yes, your dad may feel comfortable with the bike but a test drive should be taken, so best of luck.

Nice writeup Rightnow, enjoy the rides and look forward to hearing more on your ownership experiences
Thanks Iron Rock

Welcome to Avenger club brother,you do have the fuel indicator right?
Thanks Visran.
Fuel indicator: no, just a traditional needle system with redlining for reserve. I asked the sales guy, but he himself got confused, finally gave up and said there is no low fuel indicator do whatever you may!!

congrats on the avenger right now
Thanks buddy..

Thanks Visran.
Fuel indicator: no, just a traditional needle system with redlining for reserve. I asked the sales guy, but he himself got confused, finally gave up and said there is no low fuel indicator do whatever you may!!
Mine is a first batch 95 make Avenger180 which does not even have a fuel indicator all i have to do is put my ear near the fuel tank and shake the bike furiously to know the amount of fuel left in the bike like the good old 90's style[embarass]

Thread Starter #10
Mine is a first batch 95 make Avenger180 which does not even have a fuel indicator all i have to do is put my ear near the fuel tank and shake the bike furiously to know the amount of fuel left in the bike like the good old 90's style[embarass]
Yeah. My friend's pulsar's fuel indicator had gone kaput and we follow the same trustworthy method.[glasses]

Thread Starter #11
May I thank those who wished me on the other thread- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...anning-buy-bajaj-avenger-need-feedback-4.html

She is just gorgeous man,[clap][clap].
It doesn't have kick start[;)].
Thanks Vivek. No it doesn't have a kick start, but kick start is always fun. The start button is useful when it stalls in middle of road, and frankly it does stall frequently.

Many many congrats Rightnow. Wishing you many happy miles with your ride.
freakdude.
Thanks Freakdude.

Heartiest congrats Rightnow. Stick to the running in period. Jayadev and Visran own Avengers so they might be able to help you on issues regarding the bike.
Wishing you many happy miles of cruisin' !!
Thanks. I am following run-in adequately I think. I am not driving over 55 kmph till 2000Km, which is alright I guess.

Accept my congrats Rightnow.
No doubt Avengy is one hell of a mind blowing cruiser bike and with the 220cc powerplant,it's even more sweeter than what we used to get one year back.
I guess Jayadev also owns Avenger(I was the only guy who advised it to him!![;)])

Wishing you very happy ownership and of course happy and safe mile munching!!

Top Bottom