FASTag: What, How & Why

Nairrk

Honoured Member
For ICICI Fastag users, to know your balance on mobile follow this:

''Get ICICI Bank Fastag balance on mobile, SMS ETCBAL KL13...(Your car Regn No) to 5676766 or give missed call on 8010928888 from your regd mobile. T&C apply.''

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Good and Timely thread.

Much said about FASTag in recent times. Now, everyone knows to get it and the ways to recharge it.

I am not going into that details.

One thing that I want to share about affixing it on the windscreen glass. It’s okay the way it is described in the instructions that comes with this RF Tag.

But, it is not that easy if you want some perfection. Once affixed, removing / re-positioning will damage and make it useless. It is not very easy for everyone to paste it on the windscreen glass from inside, behind the rear view mirror perfectly at the center.

Please click the link to know how I did it for my car:
FASTag , Paste it Perfectly!

Thanks.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Nice explanation with supporting pictures.[cheers].

I have the V shape ceramic coating on my car windshield and I have taken center of the bottom of the V shape, and pasted the Tag just one inch below it and it looks perfect.

I had purchased the FASTag but had not installed it yet as I was not sure about the position on the windscreen. It was lying inside my bag in the boot of my car. I paid the toll at Pune-Mumbai Expressway through cash. When I reached the destination, I was surprised to see a SMS saying amount deducted from my FASTag account at the time-stamp when I was at the toll. So if the sensors can sense the tag lying inside a bag in the boot of the car, I believe it can be pasted anywhere on the windscreen. Still to be on the safer side, install it at the centre or on driver side top corner.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Amount charged on your Tag - suggest lodge a complaint with your tag supplier (ICICI or..) and ask to refund the amount (prove them that you paid by cash).

Paste the tag at the centre (just behind the IRVM..

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Regarding pasting of the sticker - see below the leaflet received from paytm:

DSC09388.JPG

It says that ''paste sticker at the centre of the windshield behind rear view mirror from inside with customer care number facing the driver''

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Stolen Mahindra Scorpio recovered in 5 hours – Thanks to FASTag

PUNE: FASTag toll deduction alerts and the GPS installed in a stolen SUV of a city-based builder helped police recover it from Thane in a couple of hours on Monday morning.
The builder, Rajendra Jagtap (56) from Karvenagar, received two FASTag alerts — first at 4.38am when Rs35 was deducted at Talegaon toll plaza and the second around 5.50am about the deduction of Rs35 near Panvel on Pune-Mumbai highway.

Read more..

Nairrk

Honoured Member
NPCI Announces Fastag Recharge Option Through BHIM UPI

National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced that vehicle owners will now have the option of Fastag recharge via BHIM UPI among other recharge options. Any smartphone with BHIM UPI enabled app will allow vehicle owners to recharge their Fastags on the go and avoid long queues at the toll plazas. The National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program has been designed to meet the needs of the Indian market and is accessible across toll plaza pan India. The toll payment solution includes clearinghouse services for settlement and dispute management.

Read:

SBI has allotted a dealer in our city to issue FASTag's. He is charging as per his wish. He is taking 700-1400 from people citing shortages. So, I am planning to buy from Paytm. Is it true that if we purchase from Paytm then all the recharges can be done via them only? Also is it true that banks will provide cashbacks if we recharge from them? I got a message from HDFC that they will give 2.5% cashback on all FASTag recharges.
One more thing, the official price is 500. Out of which 200 is the fee, 200 is the security fee and 100 is the balance that we get. What does the security fee mean? Is there any minimum amount which needs to be in it and which cannot be used?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
You will have to recharge from Paytm if you take the fastag from Paytm. Similarly, if you buy it through HDFC, then you will have to recharge with HDFC.

I got it from ICICI by paying ₹ 450 out of which ₹200 security deposit, ₹ 200 Tag balance and other ₹49 goes as GST/CGST. I have recharged for ₹100 and my Tag balance shows as ₹300 which means I can use this ₹300 for toll payments.

You will have to recharge from Paytm if you take the fastag from Paytm. Similarly, if you buy it through HDFC, then you will have to recharge with HDFC.

I got it from ICICI by paying ₹ 450 out of which ₹200 security deposit, ₹ 200 Tag balance and other ₹49 goes as GST/CGST. I have recharged for ₹100 and my Tag balance shows as ₹300 which means I can use this ₹300 for toll payments.
Thanks sir. What is the 200 security deposit for? I mean security deposit for what?
It is sad that we can only recharge from where we buy it. I want to buy from sbi but the dealer quoted me 800 after negotiation and said that only 50 balance will be there in FASTag. Their website is also down from day one SBI FASTAG Sbi showed the breakup as 200 fee, 200 as security fee and 100 as balance. HDFC and Paytm showed as 100 fee, 200 security and 200 as balance.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Security deposit, yes that's been a question - why they need security deposit? Lakhs of rupees they will get like this and one can imagine how much interest they will earn from it.

They are supposed to refund this security deposit when we cancel this service with them. But not sure any one got it as yet!

Why don't you try with ICICI instead of SBI. Even you can buy it from toll plaza's..

Security deposit, yes that's been a question - why they need security deposit? Lakhs of rupees they will get like this and one can imagine how much interest they will earn from it.

They are supposed to refund this security deposit when we cancel this service with them. But not sure any one got it as yet!

Why don't you try with ICICI instead of SBI. Even you can buy it from toll plaza's..
It was not about the 200rs. but it was the same thing that you have mentioned. And it will atleast 400-500 crores not lakhs. No one is ever cancelling the same. Even if the car is sold the same thing will be transferred to the new owner. Even if someone tries to cancel it, then there is no regulation as in how this 200 will be given back to the person, in the form of cheque/cash or which mode? Wah modiji wah

No account in ICICI, don't want to open just for this as I will have to keep it till the time I am using the tag. Have in other government banks besides sbi but they suck. HDFC is good but they are out of stock officialy but in reality charging around 1500 and selling only if one applies for a credit card too.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
No account in ICICI, don't want to open just for this as I will have to keep it till the time I am using the tag. Have in other government banks besides sbi but they suck. HDFC is good but they are out of stock officialy but in reality charging around 1500 and selling only if one applies for a credit card too.
You don't need an account to buy Fastag from ICICI. Go to their Web site or download their Fastag app and from there you can do it.
Do you have any NHAI toll plaza near to your place? If yes, go there and you get it from there and heard that the formalities are fast (unless there are big queue for it).

You don't need an account to buy Fastag from ICICI. Go to their Web site or download their Fastag app and from there you can do it.
Do you have any NHAI toll plaza near to your place? If yes, go there and you get it from there and heard that the formalities are fast (unless there are big queue for it).
Are you sure that I will be able to recharge it later from say SBI, Paytm or other sources?
No it is very very far away. Formalities might be fast but the prices will be 2x, don't you think?

Top Bottom