Failed Cars in India

See, some members are going back on their words. Earlier it was price point & now it has suddenly become lifestyle or category based one.
That's not the point, Then what will you say for Mercs and Beemers?
They are called Luxury class because they only target particular area.

Think in both ways. Category suits best for comparison "ONLY" when the segment is not popular in the current scenario.

Thanks. So Thar is flop.
Did you read this -

We cannot expect a Nissan 370Z to sell as much as a BMW X5 because both cost the same! 370Z is a niche car.

Sales of vehicles from the same category. It always been like this.

Thar will be compared with Gypsy, not Swift.

Aria will be compared with XUV, not Q7. Even though both are 7 seaters.

Just imagine this - the target customer of both should be the same. Simple.
@Raj:Its the S-Class,you can't win over him with just some minor logics,you need some more guts.
With my recent experiences, I do not want to win over him!

I am posting what I feel is logical, he is posting his thoughts. Thats about it.

Hmm,that's good of you Raj..
Leave the Thar aside we are talking of 'CARS'.

What about Toyota Etios?(Not Liva)
I think this car is on the verge of falling in this list(it a Toyota and won't easily fall in the list,but still..)

Hmm,that's good of you Raj..
Leave the Thar aside we are talking of 'CARS'.

What about Toyota Etios?(Not Liva)
I think this car is on the verge of falling in this list(it a Toyota and won't easily fall in the list,but still..)
Etios hasn't lost much when compared to the previous months but i see Liva loosing some numbers this month.

But surprisingly, Etios is not doing the numbers I had expected a "Toyota" to do.

Maybe the built to cost interiors, dated looks and relatively high price tag play a role here.

The new ford feista is a failed car IMO it is selling less then the Hyundai accent . Infact I won't find it strange that if some 1 post pic of the new fiesta in rare and exotic cars thread.
Personally in Mumbai I have only seen the thar once not sure to rate it as failed or something else . Thar as a concept is not atall glamorous for me nor in my opinion I find it a lifestyle vehicle so never gave any thought about it.
Renault pulse is also a failed car in my opinion and tata sumo grande.

350Z

Core Team
The new ford feista is a failed car IMO it is selling less then the Hyundai accent . Infact I won't find it strange that if some 1 post pic of the new fiesta in rare and exotic cars thread.
Personally in Mumbai I have only seen the thar once not sure to rate it as failed or something else . Thar as a concept is not atall glamorous for me nor in my opinion I find it a lifestyle vehicle so never gave any thought about it.
Renault pulse is also a failed car in my opinion and tata sumo grande.
Fiesta has failed because of two reasons: 1. Its price 2. Hyundai Verna.
A related link on this topic: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ord-fiesta-isn-t-doing-well-enough-india.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

I too think that M&M Thar can be said a flop if we go by the mass market..
And if we go by lovers market then its a super hit..
But always main factor is mass market and hence:-
THAR=Flop.
THAR is vehicle for rural/semi urban market .

You can see a lot of people buying THAR in Rajasthan for personal use.

Fiesta has failed because of two reasons: 1. Its price 2. Hyundai Verna.
The second reason can be 2. Fiesta Classic itself .
Fiest classic itself is the competitor of new Fiesta.

Sales wise Figo and Fiesta classic has outrun the margin, maybe new fiesta is taking some time and also i have heard that Prices has been reduced and we ll see in the coming days how efficient this can be.

I think the Thar and the Rio are doing steady numbers for their manufacturers. I firmly belive that for any vehicle to be deemed a success or a failure, the foremost paradigm should be whether it has been able to match the sales figures predicted by its manufacturer. Though I do not have the sales figures for either the Thar or the Rio, I do think that these two vehicles are selling in enough numbers to justify their production and distribution.

I think the Thar and the Rio are doing steady numbers for their manufacturers. I firmly belive that for any vehicle to be deemed a success or a failure, the foremost paradigm should be whether it has been able to match the sales figures predicted by its manufacturer.
well said, That is where this thread has failed to comply.

There is lot of things which goes into the number of car sold per month vs people like it or not. if we go by rational way then I believe we are not doing it right or too immature

1.maybe manufacture was not enough prepared for expected sales
2.change of plans due to economic issues
3.Other unknown facts.

Here I am talking from Tata's stand point. E.g Nano stood around less than 500 a month, earlier and was considered biggest blunder in Indian automotive industry. but now factory is setup and sales numbers are making head lines again.
Similar can be true with Fiat cars too.

So dismissal of any car as FAILED sounds immature from my point of view as an end user only.
Though I do not have the sales figures for either the Thar or the Rio, I do think that these two vehicles are selling in enough numbers to justify their production and distribution.
Sometimes a manufacturer has to compromise his production between a otherwise good car and the one which lays golden eggs. Thar is outnumbered by Bolero's demand so Mahindra may be going by a "procrastination" way due to shortage of facilities.
Pardon me for my wierd use of english.

Last edited:

Top Bottom