Failed Cars in India

The Passat's selling in a segment where margins matter more than volumes. Such cars should not be judged as failures going by their numbers sold alone. Lamborghini has tergeted to sell 20-30 cars in India in 2012. If they manage to sell that number, Lambo's a success. I know this is a little awkward example, but this holds true for every model of every car, be it a Passat or the humble Alto or a Phantom.

^^^ We cant compare a Lambo to a Passat.

I just compare the figures of a particular car to it's competitors to see how well it is doing. VW definitely would not have set such low targets in this segment.

Still for how many consecutive months the sales of Passat are under 100?
And you will find that Passat is still not at all a failed car.

Take it this way:3 months back Maruti outsold even Superb by selling 150 Kizashis in just one month.But has that made it a hit?Its till a flop..

Thar is the biggest dud. Just seen one & only once.
Compared to this, I saw several Classic models.
Thar is a flop.

Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha, etc. are not mainstream models.

They are built for a specific/niche customer base and no manufacturer expects huge sales figures from it. They are made-to-order.

I too think that M&M Thar can be said a flop if we go by the mass market..
And if we go by lovers market then its a super hit..
But always main factor is mass market and hence:-
THAR=Flop...[cry]

Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha, etc. are not mainstream models.

They are built for a specific/niche customer base and no manufacturer expects huge sales figures from it. They are made-to-order.
We have to compare it with vehicles in its price bracket, right.
This means Thar is flop. Gypsy is already dead.
And I did give eg. of Classic jeep earlier, I saw more classic jeeps than Thar.
Hence, Thar is a flop.

^^^ Even if you are comparing the THAR will similar models in it's segment, THAR is not a flop because as you said, Gurkha and Gypsy is dead and Classic is no longer sold.

We have to compare it with vehicles in its price bracket, right.
This means Thar is flop. Gypsy is already dead.
And I did give eg. of Classic jeep earlier, I saw more classic jeeps than Thar.
Hence, Thar is a flop.
As stated by someone earlier Thar belongs to an lifestyle vehicle and belongs to that niche.

Come to Coorg you can see Thar more than your swift/ alto or whatever this means the vehicle is more seen in the rough terrains.

IMO its better than Gypsy anyday.

It is similar like the Aria.

As stated by someone earlier Thar belongs to an lifestyle vehicle and belongs to that niche.

Come to Coorg you can see Thar more than your swift/ alto or whatever this means the vehicle is more seen in the rough terrains.

IMO its better than Gypsy anyday.

It is similar like the Aria.
See, some members are going back on their words. Earlier it was price point & now it has suddenly become lifestyle or category based one.

Either one stick with category or price.

Ertiga came up in all new category, but it was declared hit here due to bookings right ? Same is with XUV.

So, what is latest standard of declaring hit or flop ? Category or Sales based.[confused]

Verito is flop in private market but sells good nos in cab market.
Both in the private and the taxi sector, the Dzire easily sells much more than the Verito -

Verito - 1501
Dzire - 15510
Indigo + Manza - 3669

As I said, I always compare it with cars in its price bracket and with it's sales figures. So Dzire is a hit, Manza is doing less than average numbers and Verito is a flop.

See, some members are going back on their words. Earlier it was price point & now it has suddenly become lifestyle or category based one.
It has always been like that.

We cannot expect a Nissan 370Z to sell as much as a BMW X5 because both cost the same! 370Z is a niche car.

Ertiga came up in all new category, but it was declared hit here due to bookings right ? Same is with XUV.
Nothing new in their category. Both are 7 seaters UVs. Ertiga competes with the likes of Xylo and XUV competes with Innova and Aria.

Just because Ertiga is a little compact when compared to Xylo and Innova, it does not warrant a new category for it!

So, what is latest standard of declaring hit or flop ? Category or Sales based.[confused]
Sales of vehicles from the same category. It always been like this.

Thar will be compared with Gypsy, not Swift.

Aria will be compared with XUV, not Q7. Even though both are 7 seaters.

Just imagine this - the target customer of both should be the same. Simple.

Last edited:

Top Bottom