Facebook – Is it a Boon or Bane?

You opinion about Facebook?

• Total voters
It's a good way of presenting your work, skills etc. However if you get addicted to it then it is of course a bane rather than a boon. Also I have found that people post anything, which is really a waste.

I work in this so called latest IT buzz, web3.0 and cloud. Though I use twitter a lot for micro blogging, this has really helped me to stay ahead in this tech race.

Hence I vote for others.

Thread Starter #18

350Z

Core Team
Well said. Social networking is a useful medium to interact with various people and to share / gain knowledge. It has also become a great method for manufacturers to market their products but it has been spoilt by some, with lots of crap circulating around. Especially I dislike the tagging of photographs which are absolutely not related and yes, not to forget those Farmville requests too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I just love it! Its my job I reckon which has made Facebook and all those other social n/wing tools like Twitter and LinkedIn so relevant. IMO this age is information age, and the more you have, the more you can use it. Biggest boon of FB is it allows to stay in touch with all your friends even though they are staggered over different parts of the world be it day or night. I can count so many other advantages, but may be it is just me or those more than 500 mil. people using it.

Also, I believe the onus as to what to share and whom to share lies with the individual. Who doesnt mind a good comment or two? There is a saying that - 'Oh, say something nice! I can live with a good comment for 2 months'

Note: FB has come out with an intelligent software which does face recognition and tags all your pics once it identifies the faces in them without you doing it explicitly. It is being debated all over social media about how ethical it is.

Yes, I do agree. But only to some extent.
Leaving everything & keep on MOVING doesn't make any sense. If that is someone's way of life, I doubt may be their parents are in that list too.[cry]
Well i guess we are moving a bit offtopic, but then i must admit like Mr. Boss mentioned, things do depend on individual. For instance, i joined FB with a sole motive of promoting activities related to our Forum, but gradually i found most of my friends with whom i wasnt connected for quite sometime. Additionally there are a few friends of mine who have shifted abroad, and just to know about there well being i cannot call them every now and then. So FB serves a good purpose for me.

I voted for other..coz its amusing but also waste of time!! but if used in limits then its very useful to keep in touch with old friends and also make new..

Initially it seemed good but then it got boring. Afterwards I joined a few pages like autocar, overdrive and now the only thing I do on fb too is discuss about cars. Other things on fb like games, etc dont amuse me much.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ok, so we have a good thread for FB too. As for my knowledge and proficiency about FB, I am total novice or rather I should say illiterate in this context. The last time I ever used a social chatting platform was Yahoo messenger and before FB, Orkut was the best I had. Sadly both Yahoo messenger and Orkut are now gone. FB and Twitter have come up and made me handicapped. Though I can see updates on FB and twitter but don't know anything about writing/posting on either of them and that is why I am not on any of them. I only visit automotive brands FB and FB page of our forum and that's all.

Regards

Akash

I remember during physics class in school, they used to teach us, "Friction is a necessary evil". I feel the same holds true for social networking and in a sense the mobile phones too.
Computers and mobile phones were made to make our lives easier. We should remember that.
These tools are for our convenience first and foremost then others.
One should not let oneself become the reason for someone else's time-pass and should focus on what one wants.
Facebook is great for communication and interaction but one should not let it take over one's life.
As long as they are only a part of one's life.

I recall a joke floating around some time back. "Mark Zuckerberg is the only man in the world whose mother tells him to focus on Facebook and Whatsapp". We should mind it.
The joke is on us. :lol!:

It surely was very exciting in the beginning. Over a period of say ( last decade ) it has become quite boring. I got bored probably i spent too much time using it. I have also lost my good old reading skills & interests.[cry]

Top Bottom