Extended Warranty for Laptops - Worth it?

Does Extended Warranty helps in Covering unbearable expenses later?

• Total voters
i really want see speed of that server which is running on 20years old pc .
i own 3 desktop in my office all are basic no extra ordinary stuff . cheapest hardware money can buy .
10year old desktop
5year old desktop
1 years old desktop
I never throw any thing which can be used but 20years old its too much .

best example it try to run 10years old car and new car of same company same model . you will know what i want say

BTW have you used that 20years old computer you are telling [confused]

i really want see speed of that server which is running on 20years old pc .
i own 3 desktop in my office all are basic no extra ordinary stuff . cheapest hardware money can buy .
10year old desktop
5year old desktop
1 years old desktop
I never throw any thing which can be used but 20years old its too much .

best example it try to run 10years old car and new car of same company same model . you will know what i want say

BTW have you used that 20years old computer you are telling [confused]
No, that's a collectors item now but I do use a 14 year old computer, I use linux on it and it does many things very well. And by the way servers don't need to always be powerful for a LAN environment like file sharing, printer sharing etc.

No, that's a collectors item now but I do use a 14 year old computer, I use linux on it and it does many things very well. And by the way servers don't need to always be powerful for a LAN environment like file sharing, printer sharing etc.
Server don't have to be powerful? What kind of server are you talking about?[confused]

There is no harm in using a PC for 20 years, But lets consider u want to add a new hardware or if any of the component go bad do u think that will you able to get that in the market?

I got my computer in the year 2000 which had DDR1 RAM(256 MB) in it. In the year 2006 it gone bad and I decided to replace it. Asked for DDR1 and 512MB which was Rs.2100/- and to my surprise I asked the price of DDR2 which is Rs.950/- guess what its 2GB. Sameway nowadays Processors are also keep changing and programs come compatible for the newer hardware and not for sweet old ones we use. So IMO the best practice is to change hardware every 5 years so that you will not have an outdated experience and neither you don't have to spend a lot for any change in your hardware.[;)]

So getting an extended warranty doesn't really make sense since you will definitely have an outdated hardware after 5 years.

Last edited:
There is no harm in using a PC for 20 years, But lets consider u want to add a new hardware or if any of the component go bad do u think that will you able to get that in the market?

I got my computer in the year 2000 which had DDR1 RAM(256 MB) in it. In the year 2006 it gone bad and I decided to replace it. Asked for DDR1 and 512MB which was Rs.2100/- and to my surprise I asked the price of DDR2 which is Rs.950/- guess what its 2GB. Sameway nowadays Processors are also keep changing and programs come compatible for the newer hardware and not for sweet old ones we use. So IMO the best practice is to change hardware every 5 years so that you will not have an outdated experience and neither you don't have to spend a lot for any change in your hardware.[;)]
The end use tends to think in these terms. I agree with upgrading computers. And yes servers do NOT need to be powerful unless you are hosting a high resource web site like Youtube or something. Of course some older PC's are slow at doing some things maybe like playing games, for that you use the new PC. That does not mean however that it is useless; it can still surf the web, play media, run lesser games.

I am a software developer and I think my view is correct.

The end use tends to think in these terms. I agree with upgrading computers. And yes servers do NOT need to be powerful unless you are hosting a high resource web site like Youtube or something. Of course some older PC's are slow at doing some things maybe like playing games, for that you use the new PC. That does not mean however that it is useless; it can still surf the web, play media, run lesser games.

I am a software developer and I think my view is correct.
Hi my dear friend, this is public forum and we all here to exchange our views. Well you may think that your view is correct since you are a software developer and I'm being a server admin think that server should be up to date to ensure high availability. Not only web hosting server, Mail server, Unified Messaging server all needs to powerful and up to date.

Our topic for discussion is, "Is it worth to get extended warranty for Laptops" and MODS I apologize for the OT comments above.[cry]

Hi my dear friend, this is public forum and we all here to exchange our views. Well you may think that your view is correct since you are a software developer and I'm being a server admin think that server should be up to date to ensure high availability. Not only web hosting server, Mail server, Unified Messaging server all needs to powerful and up to date.

Our topic for discussion is, "Is it worth to get extended warranty for Laptops" and MODS I apologize for the OT comments above.[cry]
So do I but your point is correct too web servers need to be better than a general desktop processor and RAM wise. What I was referring to for low resource is home-server. Like a networked computer in the house so that other computers can use its printer, save files on it, queue automated tasks etc...

I do agree that powerful computers are more efficient, but it does not mean that the old one is absolutely useless. I know some fools who buy a new computer and use it in the exact same way like the old one.

So do I but your point is correct too web servers need to be better than a general desktop processor and RAM wise. What I was referring to for low resource is home-server. Like a networked computer in the house so that other computers can use its printer, save files on it, queue automated tasks etc...

I do agree that powerful computers are more efficient, but it does not mean that the old one is absolutely useless. I know some fools who buy a new computer and use it in the exact same way like the old one.
Yea thats true my dear friend and I accept the fact that networked computers can use the old computers for the purpose you mentioned. But the point here is to discuss if the extended warranty is worth or not.[rules]

O.T - I understand your view is to save old computers which could be used by some one which serves their purpose but it is really hard to find one. So people like you and me could start collecting those kind of computers and make sure that they reach the exact place where those machines will have optimum usage. But we will have to admit that it is a real time consuming process.[surprise]

I apologize if you think my previous comment to your quote is rude.

I am using this laptop for my gaming, browsing, giving presentations which category does that fall into.
Using it for 6-8 hours at a stretch.
Warranty on laptops for playing games is a good idea but if its you whos using it then its all good.
Most of the times what happens is your screen stops working (thats all I heard from my mates ) but then Screen itself costs 115 dollars to replace.
Rest am not into laptops I have one but I hardly use it. I have plugged that into my LCD tv to watch youtube and movies.

make a good PC for gaming (BTW my pc crashed last night doesn't boot no more) cuz i kicked it when it froze

zengetz

Suspended
Come on guys ! Where is this leading to ?
The extended warranty is like an insurance. If you feel you need it go for it. Its not mandatory.

I have a notebook and I am pretty confident if something conks up, I can fix it myself so I did not go for one.

I picked up an Acer Netbook for my Mom who would use it just to do basic browsing, Facebook etc but I was not sure if her way of using may result in some problem in future so i went for the extended warranty to save time and efforts.

It all boils down to if you need it or not but yes its worth it in a way and its not worth it. There is no definitive answer to it.

Hope this helps

Avi

Top Bottom