Extended Warranty for Laptops - Worth it?

Does Extended Warranty helps in Covering unbearable expenses later?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hey guys is it worth to spend on extended warranty for laptops?

I have Sony VAIO , the 2 year extended warranty scheme is said to be around 2,490/-
Carry In Warranty, where they will assist on phone 1st followed by Carry In by the customer if the problem persists.

What do you all have to say about this?

Last edited:
Re: Is it worth spending on Extended Warranty for laptops??

like cars these also worth extra money like my friend who's laptop stop working company gave him new laptop as a replacement and extended warranty by 4months for free

Thread Starter #3

like cars these also worth extra money like my friend who's laptop stop working company gave him new laptop as a replacement and extended warranty by 4months for free
Which laptop was it?
Your friend would have been fortunate enough to get it replaced.

Somehow I feel it's not worth it. Laptops are generally trouble free. With the Sony Vaio, I don't think there will be any issues.

I would say yes. If you travel with your laptop a lot then probably more. I have had cases where people have bought Dell and didnt buy extended warranty and had to shell out a lot for issues like keyboard trouble, screen breakage etc after normal warranty was over. If you have extended warranty you are free of worry for that much time!

Now this depends on how you use !

IF your planning a laptop for personal use , you don't need it
If your use is commercial then yes you may

Thread Starter #7
Now this depends on how you use !

IF your planning a laptop for personal use , you don't need it
If your use is commercial then yes you may
I am using this laptop for my gaming, browsing, giving presentations which category does that fall into.
Using it for 6-8 hours at a stretch.

Which laptop was it?
Your friend would have been fortunate enough to get it replaced.
it was HP don't remember model number . Its only 2500 atleast there will peace of mind till 3years if you ask me . you never know when this electronic stuff give away

Everything depends on our fate[evil]

My brother's Compaq is 6+ years old and working very fine without any issues, thank God. Believe me, in this 6 years laptop never hang-up

My friend got Dell XPS with 3 years extended warranty paying 3.5k extra Vitamin 'M'. Display failed exactly 1 month after the 3rd year[frustration] 3.5k + repair cost 4.5k gone waste.

My other friend got Compaq without extended warranty (though he got a offer for extended warranty for Rs.999/- only) and DVD drive failed after 1.5 years.

If you don't mind spending something less than 10% of the laptop cost for extended peace of mind, go ahead.

It is NOT needed. I don't know why people in India generally always fall for this corporate scheme. I know a lot about hardware and software programming and unlike popular believe many VAIO computers are among the worst laptops. They have high motherboard failure rates and can't last 20 years or more like some other brands.

but how efficient are they now . 5years is more then enough after changing technology is better reason newer technology is more efficient and faster compare to old . Just look at mobile .

in same energy you can do more work compare to past

but how efficient are they now . 5years is more then enough after changing technology is better reason newer technology is more efficient and faster compare to old . Just look at mobile .

in same energy you can do more work compare to past
Typical stereotype, there are many uses for them. An old computer for example can be used as server etc and who knows what. Sadly there are many people who are always after new technology because they want the latest every time. I know people who buy basically the same hardware in a different case but think it is better than the old one.

I'm not saying not to buy a new device, but rather not to throw away the old one or consider it useless.

Top Bottom