Explained: Seat Lumbar Support in Cars

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
What is Seat Lumbar Support

Seat Lumbar Support in cars is meant to correct poor posture while driving. A way to aid both drivers and passengers while sitting in car seats.

Correct Posture
reach.jpg

• Your legs should not be scrunched up, nor should you have to reach with them to use the pedals
  • your thighs should be relaxed
  • Your knees should be slightly bent

lumbar.jpg
If your car seat does not have an integrated seat lumbar support you should get an aftermarket one.

Benefits of Driving in Correct Posture
  • decreasing lower back pain
  • decreasing fatigue levels = increasing concentration levels

Some Tips
  • Adjust your car seat as mentioned above
  • Don't sit on your wallet. i find it really uncomfortable so i always put it in the dashboard
  • Adjust the steering wheel.
  • take breaks during long trips.
source : ehow.com
Ergonomics - What is Ergonomics and How Does it Improve My Life?

If your car doesn't have lumbar support, you can buy it from local car market as well.

Thread Starter #2

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
ok so from this i myself have to improve my posture. i have a habit of driving with seats pulled front.
in that position i don't have much under thigh support.

my friend who is 4" smaller in height than me found my adjusted seats to be comfortable [surprise] he mocked me by saying " why do you drive so close to the steering"

will definitely adjust the seats the next time i drive.

it is opposite with me, my friends says after looking at my seat's position" do you drive or sleep in this position " [surprise] i don't know whether it is a good posture or not but i can not drive any car with seats close to the steering. [glasses]

Last edited:
I take seat comfort very seriously,since i use to go through endless car mags since childhood i got things right from the start,i just love a properly placed arm rest,that really relaxes my drive alot.
As for when i sit i remove my wallet ,house keys & cell phone & keep it in the center console.
I do always make sure i have travel left in my knees but how close or far behind depends on the pedal position & steering height.
I remember i use to sit a bit slant & bit back cos the pedals in Pajero were placed higher up.

If you look at most basic or old cars here in India you will realize they lacked any good lumbar support.One of the first mid level car where i felt seats were supportive was when i sat in a Suzuki Swift.

Thanks allhyundaicars for bringing up nice topic.

Regarding the lumbar support my Swift does not have adjustment but I feel my driving comforts are ok. I think specifically the back support becomes very crucial when you drive on good roads for long time. I have experienced this on my long drives from Toronto to Chicago I used to do in US. In India because of the lack of good roads generally you tend to be everywhere [frustration] on the driving seat so things are very different.

I too sit as much as back possible wrt my driving seat position. I set the position such a way that 'Clutch' can be pressed full and still comfortably seated. Its very important that one sits way back when there is a airbag on their steering wheel. The height of the person also contributes to driving seating position. I have seen some ladies while driving try to peak above the steering to see the bottom portion of the front view. We generally ignore these features but 'Height Adjustment' is also one of the must haves. Unfortunately all these basic things are 'Premium' features.

Yes the heavy valets can be a real pain. I generally have two valets one for the daily travel, this is similar to credit card holder where I have DL and one CC. Have 500 Bill in it. That I keep in my front pocket(never keep anything in back) My phone always in the phone holder. My regular full sized valet is only on outing(shopping) etc where my tiny card holder goes inside. It will also have additional cards etc.

While driving always use Bluetooth headset.

Though some of the items I mentioned are OT but will contribute to driving comforts very much.

Thanks for the topic ! As Indian said, base things are 'premium' / 'high end' features in India.
I really miss Tilt steering in my VDI Dzire. I think even in Ford focus base versions in US got tilt steering and Airbags! (That is the low cost car i drove there in Chicago).

I get into my Dzire with great difficulty as i am 6' 2". Mostly I try to accommodate some one really short behind my seat so that i can sit properly. Because of the rear leg room space, the driver compromises seating posture at times.

I always feel every car should have Tilt steering, ABS, Airbag and Side mirrors even in the lower version. I really wonder why the govt approve cars without left mirrors. That is not luxury and is a must. (Nothing against those who say 'I don't need side mirrors, i just look at the inside mirror').

I think we have to compromise on many things in India. If government orders to have side mirrors installed in all cars, people will start filing complaint in court and get a stay for 100 years.

I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket. For last 2 years so, i keep in my table as soon as i reach office. When i drive car, i keep in dashboard. It eases your driving.

I feel restless if my seating position is slightly changed. I pull over to side and change my position, adjust side mirrors and rear view mirror and drive again few meters to see whether i am comfortable.

Be comfortable, ride comfortably and be safe [:)]

I found it relaxing when I'm sitting far from the steering. Most of my friends who are taller than me have the seat closer to the steering. Their reasoning is that way they can see the front end of the car and make it easier. In my normal position I can't see the front end of my car, but i have a sense and i use it to estimate the distance from other cars, pedestrians etc.

I found it relaxing when I'm sitting far from the steering. Most of my friends who are taller than me have the seat closer to the steering. Their reasoning is that way they can see the front end of the car and make it easier. In my normal position I can't see the front end of my car, but i have a sense and i use it to estimate the distance from other cars, pedestrians etc.
You are right.
I think sitting close to the steering will give better view is kind of myth in my opinion. One should have a better estimation on the size of the car he is driving. You don't really have to see the edges to drive. Yes as a beginner one might think like that bu later should take out from his mind.

.... I really wonder why the govt approve cars without left mirrors. That is not luxury and is a must. (Nothing against those who say 'I don't need side mirrors, i just look at the inside mirror').

I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket. For last 2 years so, i keep in my table as soon as i reach office. When i drive car, i keep in dashboard. It eases your driving.
Agree with you appus, yes basic safety should be mandatory. Now mostly any car can be driven at high speeds. Those days of driving at 40 km/h are gone and our law is made during British times never got changed. I am even surprised to see 40 km/h still posted on some HW ! [frustration]
Having said that there is a very slow driving also involved on HWs, that it self calls for ABS, airbags, seat belts to be mandatory and enforced. Regarding the mirrors one needs all 3 mirrors to drive not just inside mirror. I laugh at those expensive cars with folded ORVM, It even looks ugly.

Hahhaha.. I believe my position is exactly as the image as I am 6'2" so I have to push my I10's seat full back.. Also the thigh support and back support is good..

When I sit no one can sit behind me in my i10.. So my friends suggest me to buy a truck .. [lol]

Good topic friends,

I too pull back my seat as required and drive, but I notice two things, my thigh support seems to be not adequete at times in my Ritz as the length of the seat is not enough to give that support so leg will be in hanging position, I normally use a water pillow on seat and the seating height increase and feel bit uncomfortable as I am already tall. Other thing is I always feel my clucth has more tension which create the reverse action on my leg, as after a traffic drive I get a left leg muscle pain, is that a problem with the clutch or seating position

Good Topic Buddy,

I've Tilt steering, Lumber support, Height adjustable seats in my Vista & all this things helps to sit comfortable.

I feel neck pillow also most important. It will help us to avoid neck pain during long travel

car-seat-neckrest-set-large-sep05.jpg

Thread Starter #12

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
wow this is been turning into a good discussion [thumbsup] will read all of the points when i get free. :S

today drove with how it's mentioned above , was odd for some kilometers but will soon get habitual.

Last edited:
I feel neck pillow also most important. It will help us to avoid neck pain during long travel
Are these safe to use?

Car seats are made in the way that they also absorb some impact in case of mishaps, especially in case of hits from behind the car.

Hence my question that if they are safe to use or not?

Good Topic Buddy,

I've Tilt steering, Lumber support, Height adjustable seats in my Vista & all this things helps to sit comfortable.

View attachment 89482
Neck pillow really helps where seats are not contoured alot lets say like a Santro seat or maybe seat ,but if seats are curved with alot in mind,the neck pillow will start giving you lower back pains after an hour!

Last edited:

Top Bottom