Experience With My Italian Ride - Fiat Punto 90HP

Thread Starter #63
No Not any more. In early days it used to bother me but not now. I am comfortable with it now and it is lighter than petrol car clutches.

Thread Starter #66
Guys, on last Monday I got the chance to drive my friend’s SWIFT DEZIRE. I would say it was a so so experience. As soon as I stepped into the vehicle I felt as if doors doesn’t have mass at all, they were so light.

Then I tried to lower the seat position to make myself comfortable but there were no lever to lower the seats, then I came to know that It doesn’t have height adjust. After driving punto it took a little time to find the keyhole and insert the key, finally I cranked the engine , suddenly I noticed that my friend has not stepped in, he was standing outside for helping me to reverse the ride, I tried to lower down the windows and locked the car by mistake, but after having a touch with the buttons I felt as if they are of very cheap quality, anyways I lowered the windows and asked my friend to come inside, he came in.

I slotted the gear to reverse and voila, gears were short through ( I always miss them in my ride). Took the car out of the society, as we came out I gave mild to push the pedal, needle started rising in the speedo, I find gear ratios to be fine, but through was just amazing.

Soon I was doing 50+ and felt the need to apply brakes and applied, but [shock][shock]it was really shocking that brakes(one of the major part of any ride, cut the cost wherever you want but don't play with the safety equipment, at least) were not up to the mark. Just came back to the society, as I have become used to the perfect ride my punto in every aspect(except 0-100 figures), and don't wanna have more scary moments, as i love myself and can't risk me and my friends life. While returning back I felt I am shifting gears very often, which was a little painful.

OBSERVATIONS

• Dezire was looking good and bulky from front end.

• It was feather light, realized as soon as I opened and closed the doors.

• Plastic finish inside the vehicle is just awesome.

• Plastic quality is just pathetic, third quality plastic is used in the car.

• Gear ratios are good in respect of drag race.

• Though they are not meant for easy city traffic maneuverability.

• Steering was too light for my liking, as I have always driven only hydraulic power steering equipped vehicles.

• Steering was dead in respect of feedback.

• Braking was too scary and it felt as if they are not capable for this vehicle.

• Cosmetic changes in the ride were good.

• Though everything was there inside the car but there were no rich feel(IMO).

• Don't overreact guys but i felt as if somebody hit it from back, IMHO (its a 2012 Dezire)

I think that Maruti is playing with the life of their loyal customers. I do not want to say anymore, I think a hint is sufficient.

Though I do not want to offend anyone, everyone loves his ride like I do.

But still I said what I felt, I am sorry guys.

I think that Maruti is playing with the life of their loyal customers. I do not want to say anymore, I think a hint is sufficient.
Nonetheless they are more fuel efficient than fiats and reliable w.r.t service support IMO.
For light urban use I don't think any other car can come close to it with enough space and bang for the buck performance.

Thread Starter #68
Nonetheless they are more fuel efficient than fiats and reliable w.r.t service support IMO.
For light urban use I don't think any other car can come close to it with enough space and bang for the buck performance.
I agree with you bro, but playing with safety of their clients does not justify even if they are giving swift or dezire free of cost, along with free life time fuel and maintenance.

BTW i am not comparing it with fiat, even skoda and volkswagen have not compromised with safety( driven rapid and vento), but surely they have compromised in features.

Last edited:
You are getting some amazing mileage figures[clap], take her for a long trip on some good highway's you will be even more impressed with her handling prowess.

Thread Starter #70
Thread Starter #71
Today i went to tass as i was getting brake fluid low indication along with dedicated message on mid. They checked it and told me that clutch master cylinder needs to be changed as its leaking that too not today as they already have many vehicles.

FE
19 Max
18.2 Overall

I agree with you bro, but playing with safety of their clients does not justify even if they are giving swift or dezire free of cost, along with free life time fuel and maintenance.
Hey Vivek, you seem to be overwhelmed by experiences with Punto, which is great but bashing other cars isn't the spirit.

Every car has got some positives and negatives. When you were behind the wheels of a your friend's dezire, every positive trait of your punto was on top of your mind, and naturally you would have started to make comparisons.

A solid build quality makes us feel safe, but reality may be different in case of a mishap. Many factors like angle of impact, strength of impact, seat belts and timely maneuvering play their role during a hit.
The basic rule of safety is 'safe driving' irrespective of build quality.

regarding brakes, even swift owners are not satisfied with them and new swift seems to have improved on this.

Consider a scenario if a swift/dezire fan gets into your car- I am sure he would give a good list of shortcomings in your punto.

My point is please stop being so critical on how maruti is treating its customers. 'Maruti playing with lives of its customers' is a big statement.

Thread Starter #73
Hey Vivek, you seem to be overwhelmed by experiences with Punto, which is great but bashing other cars isn't the spirit.

Every car has got some positives and negatives. When you were behind the wheels of a your friend's dezire, every positive trait of your punto was on top of your mind, and naturally you would have started to make comparisons.

A solid build quality makes us feel safe, but reality may be different in case of a mishap. Many factors like angle of impact, strength of impact, seat belts and timely maneuvering play their role during a hit.
The basic rule of safety is 'safe driving' irrespective of build quality.

regarding brakes, even swift owners are not satisfied with them and new swift seems to have improved on this.

Consider a scenario if a swift/dezire fan gets into your car- I am sure he would give a good list of shortcomings in your punto.

My point is please stop being so critical on how maruti is treating its customers. 'Maruti playing with lives of its customers' is a big statement.
It may be a big statement buddy, but i am not against anything not even maruti.
And i think the problem is in our system that they allow these kind of vehicle
getting sold. You can take an example of europian countries, having strict safety standard which is why people like you and me are enjoying vehicles like polo, punto, vento,linea, BMW, skoda, audi. Don't you think in india we should get only these kind of vehicles.

I am not bashing any car, my friend whose car i was driving says that this new dezire is even worse than old one in case of build quality(his family owns both of them, got them as wedding presents).

BTW, i still remember that one of neighbor died in a car accident (driving omni some 10 years back). just because he was driving at 80 kmph and some suv did pushed it a little bit from side and it took 4 overhead turns.

Uncle died on the spot, aunty was serious, and son is now a handicap, only daughter survived safe just because she was in multiple layer blanket.

I don't think it would have been a major accident if they would have been travelling in their amby.

But i still think that if people don't die in many other countries, when a car crash, even at 100 - 150 miles/hour. Then why do people die in india in low speeding cars. That is just because of these profit making companies and government not making any strict rules of safety. Things like abs, ebd, airbag etc, should be made compulsory in every variant.

Swift and dezire are not cheap cars, then why do we expect sub standard material in these cars. We have polo, punto in the same range, if fiat and volkswagan can have robust vehicles then why can't maruti. They have such a huge client base, they can source engine from some other company(don't wanna take name) to secure their clients. Isn't it their responsibility to give robust cars to us. BTW, i also like swift, but won't buy one, ever.

I never saw anything this light even in tata vehicles. Some time back one of my indica totaled in a road accident but everyone was safe except one and that is also because car turned after head on collision with a roadways bus and a tampo hit it from side.

Buddy if we can expect to become rich just after looking at birla or ambani then why can't we have high safety expectations from other cars after driving punto or polo. This is not about punto, polo, fiat or maruti. This is about safety buddy. There is nothing precious than life whether its yours or mine.

It may be a big statement buddy, but i am not against anything not even maruti.
And i think the problem is in our system that they allow these kind of vehicle
getting sold.
You can take an example of europian countries, having strict safety standard which is why people like you and me are enjoying vehicles like polo, punto, vento,linea, BMW, skoda, audi. Don't you think in india we should get only these kind of vehicles.
We dont have any evidence so far to prove wether Punto polo is safer than swift or not other than some psychological assumption..or am I missing something ?

But i still think that if people don't die in many other countries, when a car crash, even at 100 - 150 miles/hour. Then why do people die in india in low speeding cars. That is just because of these profit making companies and government not making any strict rules of safety. Things like abs, ebd, airbag etc, should be made compulsory in every variant.
Swift and dezire are not cheap cars, then why do we expect sub standard material in these cars. We have polo, punto in the same range, if fiat and volkswagan can have robust vehicles then why can't maruti. They have such a huge client base, they can source engine from some other company(don't wanna take name) to secure their clients. Isn't it their responsibility to give robust cars to us. BTW, i also like swift, but won't buy one, ever.
The point is not to blame the manufacturer or government but the Buyers.
why does people buy unsafe cars if it is so critical? have you given thought about it?if there are better safer cars for same money then why dont people go for that ?(with reference to your statement)

I never saw anything this light even in tata vehicles. Some time back one of my indica totaled in a road accident but everyone was safe except one and that is also because car turned after head on collision with a roadways bus and a tampo hit it from side.

There is nothing precious than life whether its yours or mine.

Lighter does not always means weaker.

Amby and Tata still uses Steel but Toyota and nissan have been found using Duraluminium as certain critical component which is 50percent lighter and more stiffer than steel .Because you feel light may not always make a car unsafe with regards to standards,there are many other benefits of being light as better and efficient braking distance due to less inertia.more fuel efficiency and more bhp/ton ratio all attributing to a better car/driving experience.

Thread Starter #75
Buddy you are not getting my point, its not about any comparison among punto and dezire. Matter is, why do not maruti or any other automobile company provide us good vehicles, which they usually sell in international market. Like FIAT did with punto or linea, both the models are sold just like we get, all over the world. I could have gave other examples but not sure about others, but can surely say that polo, vento and rapid are surely safe vehicles.

Buddy do not misinterpret me i do not wanna say that punto is better i just wanna say why dezire is not better, its not a cheap vehicle. Leave every name of any car, i just wanna say why the hell this happens to us(indian we get underrated vehicles) How the hell can automobile companies compromise in safety equipments why do not they dare to give such pathetic products in developed countries like US, UK, Europe etc. Who do they fear of......obviously GOVERNMENT'S STRICT RULES

Buddy they are actually cashing our negligence among vehicles, people still don't buy things at their own, they usually buy what their friend suggested or bought. People in india usually buy cheap products due to sky high prices( thanks to congxxx), and every other company is just looting us, using their brand image.
This is the place where the role of government becomes important, govt. should force them to implement top quality safety.

I think you must drive a dezire once, you'll know what i am trying to say.

Though i like swift in looks only.

Top Bottom