Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Thread Starter #481

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Typically, how long does it last on wheels?
I have indicated already:
Don’t expect super durability as it depends upon the road on which you are driving and the way you park, mine was okay for 2 to 3 weeks.
MY OBSERVATIONS:
The semi glossiness coat disappears within 24 hrs. but maintains the matt finish. The water repellent coat helps easy to clean the surface by a MF Brush. The matt finish long last at least for three weeks.
I normally never wash the car often as the usage is very less, go out locally once in a week now a day.
Honestly, it need not be the same for every one as it depends upon the brand and intensity of the black in the tyres, the kind of road used, frequency of usage, temperature, and the age of the rubber. For Dash, it depends upon driving whether - always windows closed or opened while driving and parking in the sun.

Overall it is a good product, value for money.

WAVEX.jpg

Thread Starter #482

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
REVIEW: 3M Auto Specialty Shampoo (500 ml)

I have recently purchase this one and tried.
I have used the following car shampoos so far and my experience herewith:
Amway Car Shampoo – Good ***
Muc Off – Excellent *****
Sonax Gloss - Very Good****
Ecstar Gloss Shampoo (Maruthi OE) – Very Good****
3M Auto Specialty- Good ***

Observations: 3M Disappointed.
Maruthi OE Ecstar Gloss Shampoo is better as it is the same as SONAX Gloss rebottled /rebranded (Read Label), incase if the original SONAX Gloss Shampoo is not available.

1.jpg

NOTE:
It's my personal experience while using a good corporation water, and without prejudice.
Your experience please be shared.

Last edited:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Formula Black Gold Tire Shine

I purchased this tyre shine spray from Amazon last week

IMG_20220215_120522.jpg

500.jpg

Just to test the result, I just applied on my car tyres (just as it was, without cleaning of the tyres) and it looks good. The photo taken today, i.e. after 7 days from the application.

IMG_20220215_115941.jpg

IMG_20220215_115951.jpg

I think will get more shining if apply the product after cleaning (water wash) the tyre properly (as recommended by the manufacturers)

Product LINK

Thread Starter #484

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Formula Black Gold Tire Shine
I purchased this tyre shine spray from Amazon last week
Excellent Choice.

I tried so far three different Tire Shine / Polishing products.

This is my observations, without any prejudice, over its:
1. Cleaning Property,
2. In giving a Good Look (Wet or Matte finish) ,
3. Shinning Longevity,
4. Non-Dust Magnetic Quality,
5. Rubber Friendly, and
6. Value.

I did after cleaning prior the tires by spraying,wiping & drying with diluted Vim Dish Wash Liquid Gel Lemon.
Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #485

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
CAR DETAILING LIKE A PRO

Clip_9.jpg

This time I have decided to do detailing of my car with a DA Polisher. I could learn to handle it and the steps practically at Mark’s Detailing Workstation in Australia.

Initially, I felt the vibration all over my body and then, learnt to control the speed of DA Polisher and the right way of detailing a car with these tools.

I got from Australia, a kit comprising of
  • ToolPRO DA Polisher (Chinese make, but complying Australian norms)
  • RUPES DA FINE Polishing Compound (Italian Product)
  • RUPES DA COARSE Polishing Compound (Italian Product)
  • Maguire’s Foam Cutting Disc
  • Maguire’s MF Finishing Disc
  • Maguire’s Polishing cloths
  • COLLINITE 845 wax
  • CARPRO ECH2O
  • Complimentary Maguire’s Bag
Clip_2.jpg

Clip_3.jpg

Clip_4.jpg

Clip_6.jpg

Clip_8.jpg

Clip_7.jpg

Clip_14.jpg

FIRST DAY

PAINT PREPARATION:
  • Washed the car with SONAX Gloss Shampoo Concentrate.
  • Clayed the car completely using BILT HAMBER soft clay bar (my old stock) & WAVEX Clay Bar, using PROKLEAR CX as lubricant.
  • Washed the car with SONAX Gloss Shampoo Concentrate to clear the residue remains on vehicle before it gets dry.
PAINT CORRECTION:
  • Checked the sample of RUPES DA COARSE & RUPES DA FINE Polishing Compound on two different spots on the car paint, using Different Maguire’s Disc pads & DA Polisher. This VIDEO helped me a lot .
Selected ‘FINE’ for my IGNIS GG (less than a year-old car) and ‘COARSE’ for IGNIS UR (about 5 years old) after satisfying over the results how the paint surface looks clean, swirl free and sparkling.
  • Wiped the surface thoroughly with MF cloth and with diluted IPA- Isopropyl Alcohol. Checked with LEDs Torch reflection for flawless surface.
PAINT PROTECTION: ( Did it by Hand , as I felt Noise free, Relaxing and Comfortable [:D] )
  • Protected the corrected surface with SONAX BD as sealant. allowed to dry and covered the car.

SECOND DAY
  • Removed the cover, cleaned the car with JOPASU Duster and MF Cloth. Applied Collinite Wax (after 12 hours of previous step - Sealant)
THIRD DAY
  • Applied second coat of Collinite Wax after 24 hours
THEREAFTER
  • Cleaned the surface with PROKLEAR CX, applied Formula 1 High Performance Carnauba Car Wax (My old stock) after 72 hours.

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE:

Cleaning with JOPASU duster every day and PROKLEAR once in a week and topping up with Formula 1 High Performance Carnauba Car Wax once in a month.

PLEASE NOTE:
  • Every step needs careful planning, patience, and curing time and dust free environment or at least, protection from external dust during in-between steps by covering the car with car cover. Of course, wiping by MF Cloth during next step.
  • Wheels were washed & cleaned along with car body. Tires were applied WAVEX Tyre Polish. Black Alloy wheels were cleaned by wiping with PROKLEAR CX (No spraying)
  • I just tried the famous & expensive CARPRO ECH2O, but still satisfied with our Value for Money INDIAN Brand PROKLEAR CX as Rinse less/Waterless Auto Wash, also as a Quick Detailer for normal use.
  • Maguire’s Polishing cloths, to me it’s nothing extra ordinary, just 80:20 = Polyester: Polyamide. I felt our Indian WAVEX & SOFTSPUN are better and VFM.
  • After polishing, I did not use any extra GLAZING compounds as I felt the polishing liquid itself has everything as AIO (All in ONE). Also, I used SONAX BSD as sealant and then Collinite 845 as LSP (Last Step Product)

I did detailing of two of our cars and, share the pictures here:

Clip_10.jpg

Clip_13.jpg

Clip_15.jpg

Clip_17.jpg

Clip_18.jpg

DISCLAIMER:
This article reflects my personal Observations and Experience, nothing out of sponsored support. Any trial at your side requires a testing in a safe spot before proceeding for complete detailing process, as many factors are influential for a better result ... like clean environment, outside temperature, good water, curing time, present paint condition, your interest and patience apart from the materials that you use.

Bye,[drive]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #486

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
I MISSED:

One important step that need to be done while preparing for detailing a car is using a Masking tape to apply to sensitive surfaces, as it helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces and damages to rubber beadings, seal and fiber claddings by the polisher as well.

I have brought this tape, SCOTCH blue 2090 and used. I also wiped/removed the Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax immediately before it gets dried over such areas. (I felt, 3M Specialty Cream Wax dry up faster than formula.)
I have polished all black external trims by using Maguire's Natural Shine Protectant.

READ MORE: If you are interested to know more about CAR POLISHERS – DA vs ROTARY, please don’t be missed to read CRACING’s THREAD.

Clip_19.jpg

Need a small help, but I would really appreciate if it can be replied quick.

Issue: My friend's BMW X3, the colour is Sapphire black.

A plumber had come here, in his UTE. He parked besides X3. I think, the pipe adhesive which they use, slipped from his pockets, it was on the parking area, and when he went off, the UTE crushed the tubes and it splashed onto driver side area of BMW, making it a gluey mess. My friend had sprayed water and rinsed off the mess, but still there's a pattern of mess clearly visible. (Like how there will be a pattern visible when sunfilm is removed from glass without adequate solvent. I tried with acetone, ensuring that paint isn't taken off. It is not going.

Local detailer told, it needs to be detailed, which costs around 30k here.

Any DIY, products> I was searching for Wurth rubbing paste, which has helped me many times with my swift, but I am not able to find it now online. I am not keen to go with Motomax, as it takes off the paint finish.
My friend is ready to invest in celite cutting pads, swirling machine if experts feel that, the hand method can cause marks. Could you kindly suggest a remedy with products.
Really sorry, couldn't take pictures.

Thread Starter #488

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ VISHNUCARCRAZY

The Plumber’s Pipe adhesive is Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) compound and cannot be easily removed by Acetone once dried, as it bonds with paint color.

We need to soften the adhesive and try to scrape hit softly and safely. We need to soak the glue stain in warm water (diluted with dish wash liquid) using a wet rag. Then, you can try Acetone (careful, it is also a mild paint remover), or 2K Rubbing Compound / 3M Medium cut compound (little diluted with dish wash liquid) softly with MF sponge. You may have to repeat again.Then, apply a coat of good wax over the area. It would be easy if the car recently waxed.

OR Try with DA Polisher with high performance cut compound with Foam cutting disc and then a wax coat.

The last resort, Repainting and Waxing, in case if we end up removing some of the paint.

It's great to see your passion for cars and dedication to achieving that ultimate shine! Detailing a car to perfection is indeed an art and science combined. Your thread beautifully delves into the intricacies of car detailing, emphasizing the importance of proper preparation, protection, and preservation to achieve that breathtaking shine.

Your focus on educating fellow enthusiasts about the nuances of car care products, detailing techniques, and the dos and don'ts of maintaining a car's appearance is commendable. It's not just about making a car look good but also about preserving its paint and finish for the long term.

Your detailed breakdown of car care products and tools, along with quick reviews and availability insights, is incredibly helpful for both beginners and seasoned car enthusiasts alike. From exterior detailing to interior care, your thread covers a wide range of topics, ensuring a comprehensive guide for anyone looking to elevate their car care game.

Moreover, your emphasis on sustainability by avoiding over washing and using products wisely resonates well with the growing consciousness towards environmental responsibility in the automotive community.

Keep up the fantastic work of sharing knowledge and experiences, and I'm sure your thread will continue to be a valuable resource for car lovers seeking that perfect shine and immaculate finish for their beloved rides!

Best regards,
Dhanuan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #491

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ DHANUAN

I am so touched by your heartfelt appreciation, which betokens your broad, generous heart.

I note, how deeply you went through the pages of this thread and shared your comments at the very early hours of yesterday @ 1.47 AM, reflecting how best they are being absorbed in your thought process…

Also, thank you for joining with our great forum @1.30 AM.

Being you as a Detailing Pro that what I observe from your profile picture, we request and expect some your experiences here for the benefit of our forum members.

With Warm Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Hi Doc,
I need advice on how to remove oxidation on paint (have 2-3 oxidation spots with my ride in Australia).
Also, if you have already made a post on Headlight restoration ,can you kindly provide a link to it.

Much Thanks
Vishnu

Thread Starter #493

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
I need advice on how to remove oxidation on paint (have 2-3 oxidation spots with my ride in Australia).
Also, if you have already made a post on Headlight restoration ,can you kindly provide a link to it.

1. Removal of oxidation over paint surface depends upon the root cause. As you know, it could be due to many reasons like simple UV Radiation or organic to inorganic drops...dirt, deteriorated leaves, bird drops, smoke etc., The effect of removal depends upon the color of the paint, age of the paint surface and how deep layered they are. Also depends upon how well the car is protected by earlier detailing process.
Simple things will easily go away by polishing with AIO Polish (My Favorite: Amway Silicone Glaze Car Polish) , 2K rubbing compound or if deep, we need to use ultra cut , fine cut compounds with polishing tools. Protecting the area with sealant and waxing thereafter is also important.

2. Kindly go through this thread for complete details:
Car Head Light Restoration Guide

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:

Top Bottom