Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Hello sir,

I have been following this thread from Day One. Applied the teachings to detail my XUV this weekend.

Went through the following process:
1. Dusted the car with Jopasu Duster
2. Washed with Sonax Gloss Shampoo
3. Clayed panel by panel with Insta finish Clay bar.
4. Applied DG105 polish (read somewhere it works as a protector and sealant too)
5. Final touch using Meguiars Wax and buffing.
6. Tire dressing

Pls chk out the the pics in my post
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd-12.html#post366512

and tell me if there is anything else or more that I need to do to increase the shine and to protect the clear coat for a long time.

Absolutely WOW thread this!!! Must say mightily impressed. A big Thumbs up
I have been searching for a thread of this sort for sometime now.

I just wanted to know the best liquid wax doing rounds? And which product is the best for swirls ?

Thread Starter #35

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Hello sir, I have been following this thread from Day One. Applied the teachings to detail my XUV this weekend.
Pls chk out the the pics in my post
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd-12.html#post366512
and tell me if there is anything else or more that I need to do to increase the shine and to protect the clear coat for a long time.
Hello kinshuk.arya

Thanks for being my friend & follower.
I have noted your Optimus after spa treatment. It’s very nice. Your procedures were right & scientific.
DG105 polish is a wonderful product. You have not mentioned the name of the Meg wax. Give Optimus one more wax layer. Take care of the plastic trims and the tyre with a dedicated product.
Always maintain with ONR/S day to day cleaning spray solution that will preserve all your good & hard work.
It’s really nice to meet you in your thread.

Thread Starter #36

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Absolutely WOW thread this!!! Must say mightily impressed. A big Thumbs up! I have been searching for a thread of this sort for some time now. I just wanted to know the best liquid wax doing rounds? And which product is the best for swirls ?
Thanks, Ajay Sreedhar
LIQUID WAX

At present my choice and what LIQUID WAX I am using is OPTIMUM CAR WAX. It is long lasting, gives a rich, deep wet look.

(Others worth to mention: Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer, good at giving shiny look. The best but expensive brands are Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz & Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

SWIRL REMOVER

I honestly feel that there is nothing that can remove swirls safely and effectively.

One can fix most of the minor scratches and swirls on paint with a premium polish or swirl remover.

There are abrasive products with cutting ability to remove swirls but can damage the clear coat if not used properly. They contain tiny abrasives that dull the sharp edges of scratches and swirls so they do not catch up light.

The non-abrasive product, on the other hand, does not create any scratches onto the finish & can just fill up and hide.

The 'best swirl remover' is the person doing the work and the process used to do it. There are plenty of good products to do the trick but its 90% process and 10% product.

Products worth to be mentioned : Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover / Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover/ Poorboys SSR Super Swirl Remover (different grades)

The paintwork still needs to be protected, so it’s vital that we finish by applying a coat of good wax. If we don’t, all the work we’ve put in can be ruined.

Hello kinshuk.arya

Thanks for being my friend & follower.
I have noted your Optimus after spa treatment. It’s very nice. Your procedures were right & scientific.
DG105 polish is a wonderful product. You have not mentioned the name of the Meg wax. Give Optimus one more wax layer. Take care of the plastic trims and the tyre with a dedicated product.
Always maintain with ONR/S day to day cleaning spray solution that will preserve all your good & hard work.
It’s really nice to meet you in your thread.
Hello sir,

Actually I used Armorall's Protectant Wax for the final coat, had forgotten while typing.[frustration]

I dont normally get the time to use ONR daily as I leave for office at 7:45 AM and reach back home at around 7:00 PM. But I do use the duster daily at least once in the office parking lot. People look at me like I am participating in a Circus cleaning a big elephant with a black fur like thingy.

My normal routine is wash and wax once every 2 weeks, and a detailing routine once every 6 months. Plus a car cover if I am not going to use the vehicle the next day in the morning.

Car park in the office is completely shaded so no need to worry about sun in there.

Thanks, Ajay Sreedhar
LIQUID WAX

At present my choice and what LIQUID WAX I am using is OPTIMUM CAR WAX. It is long lasting, gives a rich, deep wet look.

(Others worth to mention: Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer, good at giving shiny look. The best but expensive brands are Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz & Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

SWIRL REMOVER

I honestly feel that there is nothing that can remove swirls safely and effectively.

One can fix most of the minor scratches and swirls on paint with a premium polish or swirl remover.

There are abrasive products with cutting ability to remove swirls but can damage the clear coat if not used properly. They contain tiny abrasives that dull the sharp edges of scratches and swirls so they do not catch up light.

The non-abrasive product, on the other hand, does not create any scratches onto the finish & can just fill up and hide.

The 'best swirl remover' is the person doing the work and the process used to do it. There are plenty of good products to do the trick but its 90% process and 10% product.

Products worth to be mentioned : Meguiar's M9 Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover / Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover/ Poorboys SSR Super Swirl Remover (different grades)

The paintwork still needs to be protected, so it’s vital that we finish by applying a coat of good wax. If we don’t, all the work we’ve put in can be ruined.

Thank you for the suggestion sir.
Like the way you explained the abrasive and non-abrasive swirl removers. That was sharp and straight. Kudos [clap]

Thread Starter #40

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Can Amway Silicon glaze used as a swirl remover ? I have heard that it does a good job in hiding the swirl marks ?
I have written more about Amway SG as a ‘Must Have’ in this thread as well as in my primary thread.

As always I say that is a wonder liquid; universal paint cleaner & polisher that can clean & hide micro swirls.

Hello sir,
I dont normally get the time to use ONR daily as I leave for office at 7:45 AM and reach back home at around 7:00 PM. But I do use the duster daily at least once in the office parking lot. People look at me like I am participating in a Circus cleaning a big elephant with a black fur like thingy..
Ha Ha ... 'Circus cleaning a big elephant with a black fur '
I enjoyed. Regarding ONR/S, make it possible at least week ends, you will like it.​

Last edited:

Civic

Suspended
Hello sir,

Actually I used Armorall's Protectant Wax for the final coat, had forgotten while typing.[frustration]

I dont normally get the time to use ONR daily as I leave for office at 7:45 AM and reach back home at around 7:00 PM. But I do use the duster daily at least once in the office parking lot. People look at me like I am participating in a Circus cleaning a big elephant with a black fur like thingy.
You can also use some QD spray to maintain, if not want to have a full wash often.

Try some thing like this, there many brands available in India though:

Nanolex QD India

Dear Dr. Mudhan,
Based on your valuable information in this thread i have started collecting various cleaning products for my new car. I am listing them here. Kindly let me know if they are fine and also what else i need to purchase as well their usage.

1. Speedwav Microfiber Glove Mitt for Car Washing - 2pc

2. My Shaldan Car Perfume- SQUASH ( based on your my perfume car story and will be using it in the old car first)

3. FORMULA 1 SPRAY WAX 473ML (not sure how to use it properly and at what intervals so do let me know)

4. Formula1 Carnauba Wash And Wax Car Shampoo 946ml

5. ABRO Microfiber cloth- 3 pcs

6. Amway Silicon Glaze

7. Jopasu Gift Pack- includes Jopasu Car Duster, Jopasu Magic Wipe, Jopasu Mini Duster, Jopasu Magic Glove.

Any inputs will be useful. Thanks.

Thread Starter #44

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dear Dr. Mudhan,
Based on your valuable information in this thread i have started collecting various cleaning products for my new car. I am listing them here. Kindly let me know if they are fine and also what else i need to purchase as well their usage… Any inputs will be useful. Thanks.
Nice Dear harry10, Hope you got all the original ones.​

MY SHALDAN CAR PERFUME- SQUASH- if you keep your car most of the time outdoor and under the sun, please wrap the container with aluminium foil, by creating enough holes to control melting of gel to avoid over fragrance & increase duration of time.

FORMULA 1 SPRAY WAX – Spray waxes are easy way to get a shinning coat without much stress. This partially liquid car wax, easy to use…just spray on and wipe off. Spray waxes contain Carnauba, silicone micro polishers and UV fighting materials to take care of your car's paint. But they will be good only on well-maintained car paint surface. Though they claim that the protection lasts for up to 12 months, practically it is good to top up every 3 to 4 months, especially after your car's periodical service.
My suggestion - First apply a good Carnauba wax correctly. This will help ensure the longevity of your wax job. Properly buffing the paste wax should give your car the shine you've been looking for, and thus maintaining the factory look is simple with spray wax. Spray on the wax and spread it evenly over the surface of the car. That's all there is to it.

AMWAY SILICON GLAZE – I have found one more use of this wonder liquid. My cloth when soiled with grease while working with my car, apply over the stain, leave few seconds and wash the spot, it helps to disappear the stain.

JOPASU CAR DUSTER- First dust out by a MF cloth before using the duster that will extend the efficiency of the Jopasu duster & don’t forget to give a final gentle wipe by Jopasu MF magic wipe cloth to make the paint surface clean & shinny without any finger marks.

I hope you have gone through my write –up here:

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s/14219-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-15.html

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Sir, is there any car detailing course available in india?
Sorry, I missed to respond to your query MrAnkur.
I could not find any such schools in India. This is really a good idea and an emerging art ; people should come out with such certified courses for self-employment, like auto technician.
One such good school abroad is: School information and credentials.
Today , the analysis over internet is our best guide & our personal experience is the best teacher.​

Last edited:

Top Bottom