Exclusive: Tata Sumo Grande Mark-II Road Test

350Z

Core Team
The Sumo Grande MK-II is officially launched today but The Automotive India has already provided you all an Exclusive and Detail Drive Report of Car. :smile:
Press Release from Tata Motors :

Tata Motors launches the Sumo Grande MK II

Mumbai, December 14, 2009: Tata Motors today announced the launch of Grande MK II, an upgraded version of its premium Sumo offering in the domestic market. The Grande MK II seeks to deliver added value to customers through substantial changes in the exteriors and interiors combined with improvements in drivability, ride and handling and comfort.

The exteriors have been accentuated by a new chrome lined grill, side rub rails with chrome inserts and indicators on ORVMs. The interiors have been refreshed to give the vehicle a completely new, contemporary look with a two tone theme complemented by a new faux wood centre console and new fabric upholstery.

The changed drive ratio in the Grande MK II gives a boost to low speed performance in city driving conditions. While a modified suspension ensures a comfortable ride, particularly for second and third row occupants, optimised anti-roll bars reduce body roll to a minimum during cornering. The existing low NVH levels have been further refined.

Several ergonomic improvements have been made in the Grande MK II — significant among these are a smaller steering wheel with floating horns, a grab handle on the ‘C’ pillar to aid egress of third row passengers, and new inner door handles.

The Grande MK II carries forward the class leading features of the earlier version such as best in class third row seats and lowest turning circle radius of 5.25 m in the category, in addition to having one of the best fuel efficiencies in its class. Dual HVAC with roof integrated louvers, motorised ORVMs, height adjustable driver’s seat and a state of the art CD/MP3 music system are some of the other features Grande MK II continues to sport. T he vehicle is powered by the new generation 2.2 litre DICOR engine fitted with a variable geometry turbocharger which delivers maximum power and torque of 120 PS and 250 Nm respectively.

The Grande MK II will be available in 3 variants – top of the line Gx, Ex, and Lx with a seating capacity ranging between 7 and 9 seats in front and side facing configurations. T he vehicle will be available in three new colours, Walnut Gold, Platinum Beige and Castle Grey. The Grande MK II is priced in the range of Rs. 6.43 lakhs to Rs. 7.50 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi ). It comes with a warranty of 2 years or 75,000 kms (whichever is earlier). An additional 2 years’ warranty can be availed through the extended warranty option. Customers would be able to accessorise the Grande MK II with a host of accessories available at dealerships across the country.
Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Yes, We are! :smile:
Even some of the popular magazines known for their First Drives have Tested some new Cars which TAI has already did. All we need is some more exposure. Now Coming Back to the Grande, Well this one feels a muscle MUV, Better than Milk van Looking Xylo, Where this car lacks is features and Missing of Basic Safety Features Like Air Bags and ABS which should be present in a vehicle of this size. Also, I personally didn't liked this steering wheel change, Earlier was better!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Tata should get rid of the old name thing. If i consider the market condition of coimbatore, all the new models(Vista, Grande, Manza) didn't do well. We need new cars in new names. It might create a negative reaction among buyers. Even though the name has Grande, it has sumo and Sumo has a very poor image among MUVs.

Tata should get rid of the old name thing. If i consider the market condition of coimbatore, all the new models(Vista, Grande, Manza) didn't do well. We need new cars in new names. It might create a negative reaction among buyers. Even though the name has Grande, it has sumo and Sumo has a very poor image among MUVs.
Sumo is a big hit amongst taxi drivers. Most of the cabs in Bangalore are Sumo.
Yes but Grande Sumo can't be seen on the road.

Even after the comeback of Sumo Grande as MarkII, it still cant be seen, not even as cabbies.

Right, "SUMO" name should be removed, even only "Grande" or some solid name might have done a wonder.

RSM buddy it is also used by media people with those dishes on top.
sumo is great looking muscular muv, nice interiors, nice engine but never did well? Why? Why?

well no carmaker wants their *new* cars to be used by taxi drivers until it is going to be phased out or there is some other reason!!

Does any 1 on the forum has bought a grande and do we have any ownership reports on grande here ? The other day I saw a black grande with body kit and crome alloys and I mean it was looking killer absolute stunning .

In my view, Tata is not targetting cabbies for MarkII.
But it failed on expectation on normal buyers.
Absolutely the target was always to lure the private consumers from Innova,but where it failed was:

1. Mis-mesh looks,the front doesn't gel with the sides and back(though i like it).

2. Poor interiors, first time I saw Grande from outside I was like wow, but when i got inside i said yuck what a ugly looking interior.Really foolish move by TATA,when you are designing entire body panels from the scratch then why leave the interiors? It really baffles me especially when target consumer was from a segment high!!

3. The name SUMO = synonymous to taxi =literally killed it.

All in all Sumo Grande= Another failure and lost opportunity by stange working TATA Mo.

The Sumo Grande failed to make an impact on the market and end the rule of the Mahindras in the segment.

Isn't it time Tata changed their stupid old steering wheel?

Top Bottom