Exclusive: Tata Sumo Grande Mark-II Road Test

[clap] for Zinam & 350Z

Well i have nothing to say about this car but any specific reason why this was selected for a test ride & report ?[:D]

350Z

Core Team
Thank you Neil. Grande Mark-II is launched and to provide people the EXCLUSIVE 1st Detail Road Test Report of Mark-II on Internet, We selected this one. There are many more exclusives to come. [:)]

Drive Safe!
350Z

Hey Zinam great report again!! The interiors looks great in beige but the dashboard looks very plain and all the buttons and knobs look outdated!! The steering wheel looks very bad and looks like it has been taken from some ACE truck of TATA!! The engine , gear knob , wheels have been taken from TATA SAFARI exactly!! And Zinam is this petrol model?? Was the petrol engine noisy??? Nobody will buy this for sure if this is petrol!!

BTW where was the TD carried out by you??
Okay i see that the fuel type is changed from petrol to diesel now!!

Excellent review guys. I am impressed with the size and space inside this SUV. However, ABS is a must I think and AirBags would be great. Audio controls on the steering wheels is no becoming more or less common. So it should be added. Overall, I think even though its a nice SUV, Scorpio will be the best buy compared to this one [confused]

Thread Starter #23
great report zinam. kudos to vibhor too.

while the grande looks much much better than the xylo (& even the innova!), i wish they had changed the flat dashboard & bumpy leaf springs on this one.
Thanks Raj! Yes the Dash is bit outdated & leafy springs is a must change. Hope they come up with MK III soon [lol]

Just 1 question Zinam: What's the target segment for this? I hope its not the taxi owners.
Cheers,
Vroom
Thanks Vroom!

Hmm.. The target audiences are the ones who look for inter city & cross city drives every week!

A family with 6+ adults should have a look at this.

And Zinam is this petrol model?? Was the petrol engine noisy??? Nobody will buy this for sure if this is petrol!!

BTW where was the TD carried out by you??
Thanks Cooldhaya!

No its a 2.2 DICOR engine [DIESEL] ! So its bit noisy!

Outer skirts of Chennai

great review!

@Zinam, great review you have posted. Just a small query, when Grande MKII will be officially launched? I enquired at couple to dealers in Mumbai, but they dont have any clues. Only Concorde Motors, Mumbai had the car in their stock yard but no idea when it will be launched.

Also, did you check out 2 different colors of Grande? or its just appearing diff in shades? the last two pictures are bit different color, i thought its Platinum Beige rather than Walnut Gold.

Thanks again..

Thread Starter #25
Great work zinam. I look forward to read your reviews. It gives all the details.

Sumo grande somehow didn't click for Tata. Even i am not sure which segment they are targetting. Taxi guys likes earlier version and normal people have more options from Mahindra.
Thanks RSM!

[clap] for Zinam & 350Z

Well i have nothing to say about this car but any specific reason why this was selected for a test ride & report ?[:D]
Thanks Neil!

Only reason is to give an exclusive review on net 1st [cheers]

Another nice review by zinam. Is this car launched already?
Thanks CC. Yes it was launched on 18th Nov in chennai.

Excellent review guys. I am impressed with the size and space inside this SUV. However, ABS is a must I think and AirBags would be great. Audio controls on the steering wheels is no becoming more or less common. So it should be added. Overall, I think even though its a nice SUV, Scorpio will be the best buy compared to this one [confused]
Thanks Shynish!

Ya lack of ABS & Airbags is a real pain.

Scorpio seves a different purpose but still Grande is worth the buy for everyday highway drives.

@Zinam, great review you have posted. Just a small query, when Grande MKII will be officially launched? I enquired at couple to dealers in Mumbai, but they dont have any clues. Only Concorde Motors, Mumbai had the car in their stock yard but no idea when it will be launched.

Also, did you check out 2 different colors of Grande? or its just appearing diff in shades? the last two pictures are bit different color, i thought its Platinum Beige rather than Walnut Gold.

Thanks again..

Thanks CarlosMontana!

Welcome to TAI & have a great Stay!

Yes it is officially launched on 18th Nov.

The color we Test Drove is Walnut Gold, may be because of lighting it might appear like that

350Z

Core Team

Thanks again..
Hi carlos,
Welcome to The Automotive India. As Zinam has already told, The Car is launched few days back and should be in showrooms of all reputed dealers in a week time. The color of model Road Tested is Walnut Gold, Its appearing because of reflection of light. The Sumo's site is not even updated yet.

Drive Safe!
350Z

I never liked Sumo Grande especially its face. Dash is just same as that of Sumo Victa except for wood finishn beige colour. As far as the 2.2DICOR engine is concerned isnt it the same as that of Safari2.2(pre VTT version)?

nice report man.
fantastic car though. Tata is tata , build for owners pocket.

scorpio , xylo etc have spare probs now. and for sumo , readily available every time.

Next just give me a call when you test drive one. i'll too join you hehe [lol]

I never liked Sumo Grande especially its face. Dash is just same as that of Sumo Victa except for wood finishn beige colour. As far as the 2.2DICOR engine is concerned isnt it the same as that of Safari2.2(pre VTT version)?
I'm not sure about the per-VTT version, was there really one like that?

Grande's engine is same as Safari 2.2 VTT but detuned to 118 BHP, as against 140BHP of Safari.

I'm not sure about the per-VTT version, was there really one like that?

Grande's engine is same as Safari 2.2 VTT but detuned to 118 BHP, as against 140BHP of Safari.
By Pre-VTT version i mean the model of Safari which was there before the VTT was launched. Anyways doubt cleared. Thanks crazy_cat

Top Bottom