Exclusive: New BS-4 Maruti Suzuki Alto, Now with K-Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a doubt. If Alto's engine can be tuned to euro 4, then 800's engine can get the same treatment and live longer. So like Aditya said, k series would come soon and this small update might be clearing of stocks or for euro 3 markets.

even the my old alto had the slot for a 2-din player. so no changes has been done there. and it is possible to fix a single din player in the slot. i myself have done it in my car.

even the my old alto had the slot for a 2-din player. so no changes has been done there. and it is possible to fix a single din player in the slot. i myself have done it in my car.

Ols alto and almost every car has one dummy slot and one holder like slot , for 2 din you must remove both , or use single din set by removing the single dummy provided ,

But here in new one it seems the dummy is provided for 2 din , so where will you go for cover or cover up if you go for single din!

ilango[speed thirst];29139 said:
Ols alto and almost every car has one dummy slot and one holder like slot , for 2 din you must remove both , or use single din set by removing the single dummy provided ,

But here in new one it seems the dummy is provided for 2 din , so where will you go for cover or cover up if you go for single din!
Why do you want to cover the up the remaining space, if we use a single din? Use it to store CDs, etc..

I have a doubt. If Alto's engine can be tuned to euro 4, then 800's engine can get the same treatment and live longer. So like Aditya said, k series would come soon and this small update might be clearing of stocks or for euro 3 markets.
Valid point. But the Alto engine was the 4 valves per cylinder version of the F Series 800 cc engine, mated to a 5 speed transmission, while the M800 made do with the 2 valves version, with a 4-speed.
So the cost of the upgrade to the previous Alto Engine (BS-III) will have to be added to the cost of the BS-III to BSIV upgrade, and that might have been prohibitive for the M800.
Just a thought.

Thread Starter #22

350Z

Core Team
they detuned the same engine or they plonked a new one.??
It's the same F8D engine which is tweaked to make the car Bharat Stage - 4 compliant.

Article in the paper today mentioned the head of R&D at MSIL saying that the Alto would also be coming out with the K-Series engine soon. So maybe that would be the Alto replacement and this low-cost version will be the new M800!!
When Maruti Suzuki phased out Omni and 800, They have eventually filled that gap by Eeco and Alto respectively. About the "New Alto" with K-Series, I'm doubting on same, Why will they need to upgrade when this model now already meets BS-4 Norms?? (You may even check this)

Maruti was very much able to tune 800's engine for BS 4 upgrade but is hasn't been done intentionally because they wanted to completely phase out ageing 800 model. This is what was told by MSIL itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

It's the same F8D engine which is tweaked to make the car Bharat Stage - 4 compliant.
Are you sure?

Economictimes
Maruti to relaunch Alto with new engine; to price it up to Rs 2 lakhs

Maruti Suzuki is all set to bring on the road a revamped and cheaper Alto. Maruti feels that now is the best ttime to launch a stripped down version of its largest selling car. It sells close to 20,000 Altos every month making it India's best selling car model.

Maruti hopes the leaner Alto will not only help it counter competition from new cars in the markets but also replace the iconic Maruti 800 which is being phased out. Sources told ET Now that the new Alto will have a 1 litre K-Series Engine and will be priced up to Rs 2 lakh.

Maruti Chairman, RC Bhargava said: "The Alto will not be much more expensive than the 800 and we will keep trying to do whatever we can to make it more and more affordable."

"The car will be in showrooms in the next couple of months but don’t expect major changes in design. The company doesn’t want to change the design of its highly successful car model and its not just Alto, Maruti is planning to refresh its entire car line up a new Wagon R which is also expected before end of April," Bhargava added.

Thread Starter #24

350Z

Core Team
Yes, Atleast the one in pics on previous page has tuned up engine but the article which you've posted indicates same to what Aditya said in Post 15.

Drive Safe,
350Z

This Alto is looking the same almost! The console is looking very bad too! I don like this idea of replacing the badges with stickers , i think Eeco also has stickers only and no badges!

If it is to come with the K-series engine then why this new Alto which is also BS-IV compliant??

Thread Starter #27

350Z

Core Team
Adding stickers instead of badges in nothing new from Maruti, whenever they want to reduce the cost of any model, It is their all time favorite trick! Even my 5 - Speed 800 which came with a little more features has stickers as opposed to other Maruti 800s which came with badges and here I'm talking about the situation 8 years back!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Did the 4V 5-speed have decals??
I thought that was one M800 variant that was discontinued before the decals became the in-thing for the M800.
But hey, the very first Zens ... I am talking 1993 here, had decals.

Thread Starter #29

350Z

Core Team
Yes even initial Zen models had it and here's pic of my 800 with stickers all around;

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom