Everything About Tyre Rotation

Thread Starter #1
Rotating your tyres periodically is an essential part of tyre maintenance. The main purpose of regularly rotating tyres is to achieve more uniform wear for all tyres on the vehicle. If no rotation period or pattern is to be found in your owner's documentation, rotate your tyres at least every 10,000kms and follow one of the patterns suggested below.

clipimage0010005.gif

However, rotate your tyres earlier if irregular or uneven wear develops, and check with your Local Tyrepower Pro to determine the cause of the wear problem. Remember that a hard impact such as hitting a pothole can cause misalignment, which then causes uneven tyre wear.

(Only where tyres are same type & size)

Remember that certain tyres cannot be rotated in the patterns described. These include tyres with asymmetric or uni-directional tread designs. Also, some vehicles are equipped with different size tyres or wheels on the front and rear axles. Check the owner's manual for the proper rotation in these cases.

Finally, check the inflation pressures and have them adjusted for the tyre's new positions. Under-inflated or over-inflated tyres may result in poor handling, uneven treadwear or poor fuel consumption. Also check that the lugnuts have been properly installed and torqued.

Hey RSM,

Thanks for the nice info piece. Much appreciated. One more thing I did not know about cars and their maintenance[:)].

Cheers,
Vroom

Hey i dint knew the "asymmetric or uni-directional tread designs" tyers cant be rotated.

I mean why is it so ? What is so different in those thread designs ?

Hey i dint knew the "asymmetric or uni-directional tread designs" tyers cant be rotated.

I mean why is it so ? What is so different in those thread designs ?
An asymmetric tyre is made in such a way that it can be more efficient only when it is rotated in one direction hence the name uni-directional.

The groves on the tyre are such that they offer better aquaplaning and less road noise.
Hence it can be rotated but it'll be like right/left front to right/left rear.
It cannot be changed in an X manner.

Many A.S.S people have no knowledge about this tyre hence they change it as normal tyres reducing the life and effectiveness of the tyre

Thread Starter #6
For Punto, they have mentioned to rotate the tyre from back to front and front to back, no X(cross). Interval is 15K, normal service duration.

An asymmetric tyre is made in such a way that it can be more efficient only when it is rotated in one direction hence the name uni-directional.

The groves on the tyre are such that they offer better aquaplaning and less road noise.
Hence it can be rotated but it'll be like right/left front to right/left rear.
It cannot be changed in an X manner.

Many A.S.S people have no knowledge about this tyre hence they change it as normal tyres reducing the life and effectiveness of the tyre
very good point, asymmetric tyres are made such that their inner wall are made for one side of the car so cannot be rotated as X as renegade said but can be rotated from front to rear and rear to front on the same side.

Top Bottom