Everything About Tyre Rotation

Thread Starter #16
Some pointers for unidirectional tyres-

Step 1 -Read the information on the sidewall of the tire. There will be one of two possible indicators stamped on the sidewall of a unidirectional tire: Either an arrow will be pointing in the direction of a forward motion on the sidewall (in which case every tire on the vehicle should have the arrow pointing to the front of the vehicle), or there will be printed words saying "This Side Out."

Step 2 - Look at tread pattern of each tire. A unidirectional tire's tread pattern will form into the shape of a "V" as you face the front of the tire. Symmetrical tires will offer a tread pattern that goes in one direction up to the center of the tire, and then the tread pattern will form in the other direction for the remaining half. This ensures that regardless of how the tire is mounted, it will not matter.

Step 3 - Inspect all the tires on your vehicle. Do not assume that they are all unidirectional or otherwise, especially if you bought the car used. It is possible to have mixed tires and have unidirectional and non-directional tires on the same vehicle. Although a misplaced unidirectional tire on a vehicle is not necessarily a safety hazard, it will compromise the performance of the tire and should be corrected.

Sample - treadUnidirectional.gif

You can go through - http://www.yokohamatire.com/CUSTOMER_SERVICE/CONSTRUCTION_TREAD.ASPX

Hey thats good info RSM!! Mine are Symmetrical tyres only and i guess i have driven almost 10k after purchasing the car , time for rotation!!

The turanza at rear of my marina is asymmetrical one. What is the real advantage of that.

I was informed that it helps in cruising in rains too . but i dont belive the source through which i got this

ilango[speed thirst];27242 said:
The turanza at rear of my marina is asymmetrical one. What is the real advantage of that.

I was informed that it helps in cruising in rains too . but i dont belive the source through which i got this
Asymmetrical tyres are those which have a tread pattern that is different from one side to another. (OK, sorry for stating the obvious!!)
Tread patterns vary, some giving particularly good dry grip, some have characteristics designed to enhance wet performance. An asymmetrical tyre offers the best of both worlds by combining the two patterns across the width of the tread, unlike symmetrical tyres, which do their job adequately, but not spectacularly. Symmetrical tyres are popular though, since they are typically cheaper, and don't give you headaches while rotating the tyre.

Regarding the construction, The outside of the tread pattern consists usually of larger stiffer tread blocks that help with cornering performance by increasing cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder.
The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead.

And yes, your source was right!!

Tyres changing and spare tyre

With my Ritz LDI clocked 13500 km now, I just had few doubt about tyres !!

My Ritz is running on stock tyres of JK tornado

No single puncture till now[:D]

- Do we need to change the tyres regularly from front to rear and rear to front

- What about the spare wheel and tyre. Do we need to put that into action replacing one of the front or rear tyres. Does something go wrong if we do not use it for long time as I finished one year using car

I look for for a quick reply on this with reasons

One more basic doubt, if all the tyres are in good shape so you still need rotation. I have completed 10k and have not yet done any rotation as when i checked the tyres all were good.

Jango,

I have found from my car manual that there is a column called tyre rotation done on every 10000km and I hope the same thing applies to your car during your service, please check

Top Bottom