Engine Oil and Engine Oil Additive

Thread Starter #31
for diesel engines the first link is the newest api rating go in for that. the second link is an older api rating cf4/api sj while the newest is api-ch4(for diesel)/api sn(for petrol)
Okay. Thanks for that. Will get the job done today itself, and quote the price. Going for a 700+ kilometers drive tomorrow

I got a polo petrol & during a checkup at 3500 km was advised by the SAC to top up with 1 liter engile oil. VW uses castrol magnatec 5w40 and I have a Shell Helix 5w40. Can i top up with Shell which has same rating.

shell helix ultra is 5w40 and is a synthetic oil, castrol magnetic is a semi-synthetic while castrol magnetic professional is a fully synthetic.

just confirm with vw if its synthetic running in the engine if yes you can add shell 5w40. but its better to not mix brands.

Engine oil additives, Do they work??

I gave my car today for servicing at the TATA S.C. for its second free service at 10000kms. Since I purchased an AMC with the car, the engine oil & a few other consumables were provided free. The estimate bill amount was made & I was shocked to see 600 bucks for a bardahl engine oil additive. When enquired he said "Sir, We are using this additive in all the cars now. It gives a better protection to the engine & blah blah blah". So went ahead with it & didnt give any objection to it.

But my query is do these engine oil additives really work?? If yes then is it worth going in for a small car like nano where I can easily get another can of oil for next service by saving the money for the additive??

Thanks.

Top Bottom