Engine Life of Indian Cars

i have a doubt how to confirm if a diesel engine is rebored a crude mechanic s way is idling the diesel engine and pulling out the dipstick oil splashes out
i dont know if this is true
i think ilango can give us some idea

i had a tata indica v2 which had engine trouble coming as per the mechs i had shown the car to. i had to top up the engine oil by 1 litre for every thousand km run from 60000 km onwards. so i sold it off. my friends tata indica v2 had to have engine overhaul at 40000km. i was very meticulous in its maintenance. all service were done at tata dealers every 5000kms

i had a tata indica v2 which had engine trouble coming as per the mechs i had shown the car to. i had to top up the engine oil by 1 litre for every thousand km run from 60000 km onwards. so i sold it off. my friends tata indica v2 had to have engine overhaul at 40000km. i was very meticulous in its maintenance. all service were done at tata dealers every 5000kms
40,000kms?? [surprise] its very low age for engine overhaul of any car..

It depends on two things. 1) How you use and maintain the car , 2) The brand. Generally Toyota and Honda car would last much longer than others (about 2L km) and also the performance of the cars in the later stages would be good. Others like Tata or even Ford cars completely break down after 1L km and their life after that is like an old man living on medicines.

What about my Swift DZire DDiS with Fiat's 1.3 Multijet engine? How many kms will it last?
With all services done regularly at Maruti service stations only and if by chance any part was replaced, it was a MGP. The car has crossed 57,000+kms on the odo.

350Z

Core Team
What about my Swift DZire DDiS with Fiat's 1.3 Multijet engine? How many kms will it last?
With all services done regularly at Maruti service stations only and if by chance any part was replaced, it was a MGP. The car has crossed 57,000+kms on the odo.
There’s no particular reading up till when an Engine can last without the overhaul. Just like the fuel efficiency, it depends upon various aspects including maintenance, driving style etc. From the general observation, most of the modern day engines can work well up to 1 Lac – 1.5 Lac kilometres, given that they are treated well and serviced on schedule as prescribed by the manufacturer.

Drive Safe,
350Z

There’s no particular reading up till when an Engine can last without the overhaul. Just like the fuel efficiency, it depends upon various aspects including maintenance, driving style etc. From the general observation, most of the modern day engines can work well up to 1 Lac – 1.5 Lac kilometres, given that they are treated well and serviced on schedule as prescribed by the manufacturer.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Totally agree on that. Any engine's age will depend on the following factors:-
1. Petrol/Diesel/CNG or LPG use
2. Driving style
3. Driving condition - if its driven in plains or mountains, hot or cold etc
4. How long is it used once started/cranked. Maximum damage to engine happens at times of cranking up.
5. Type of engine oil used
6. Regularity of servicing

Indian engines wont last more than 1.5-2 lacs without overhaul. My dad had a Ambassador which he drove for more than 2.5 laks kms, but it died after that.
Max engine life is known to be from Hondas and Toyotas.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I have to disagree. Cars engine can easily run till 300,000km +. I owned a car with 257,000km worked fine. If the maintenance is up to date then all should be well. Also if the car has been hot running or not makes a difference.

It depends on two things. 1) How you use and maintain the car , 2) The brand. Generally Toyota and Honda car would last much longer than others (about 2L km) and also the performance of the cars in the later stages would be good. Others like Tata or even Ford cars completely break down after 1L km and their life after that is like an old man living on medicines.

I have to disagree here , our Sierra did not have an engine overhaul till 1.7Lakh KMS and we sold it after that even though the engine was in good condition. Even our TATA Safari 3.0L DICOR engine which we sold recently clocked 1.1Lakh KMS and did not show any signs of overhaul when we sold it.

350Z

Core Team
I have to disagree. Cars engine can easily run till 300,000km +. I owned a car with 257,000km worked fine. If the maintenance is up to date then all should be well. Also if the car has been hot running or not makes a difference.
Perhaps you misinterpreted. I think that’s what my point was. The 1.5 Lac kms is minimum reading. Obviously if taken care well, there are chances that one could extract even more (Have seen Mercs above 3 Lac kms without overhaul). But again it all boils down to several conditions, which have been posted precisely by Thetraveller.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Perhaps you misinterpreted. I think that’s what my point was. The 1.5 Lac kms is minimum reading. Obviously if taken care well, there are chances that one could extract even more (Have seen Mercs above 3 Lac kms without overhaul). But again it all boils down to several conditions, which have been posted precisely by Thetraveller.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yes it seems I have misinterpreted your statement:lol!:.

Thread Starter #42
[surprise] i have seen with my own eye's safari 3.0 doing 2.40L KM last time which hasn't been overhauled till now ,another 3.0 done 1.3L KM no overhaul .

its not brand its driver who makes life of engine short or long . I have seen toyota engine giving up at 80K of corolla which my friend owns though he got engine overhaul for free because of warranty . I know how my friend drive so its ok for engine to give up so early .

its about driver how he maintain his car which makes difference not brand alone

350Z

Core Team
Being primary facilitator of commercial brands, I believe that Tata Motors understands the value of space and usage better. That’s also the reason why their cars are much popular amongst taxi operators.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The only car which i have personally seen running trouble free is our company's Toyota Qualis. The car is still running strong without any engine overhaul. The car has completed 3.4lac kms. This is the reason why no one wants to sell that car.

Top Bottom