Engine Life of Indian Cars

Thread Starter #1
Hi everybody ,

I always had this question in my mind . so finally i decided to ask after seeing ilango maruti thread . We always say that we shouldn't buy car above 80k or 1L KM . I mean what happen after 1L do we need to buy new engine or what .

Few months ago i was planning to buy old gypsy then modified it to my taste but i was always turned off by people response like you will get 60-80k km running gypsy and his engine is like dead bla bla bla .

So guys please enlighten me with your knowledge

Thank you,
MasterSquall

@ilango i am waiting for your reply specially
Note to Mod : Sorry if there is any thread . please merge it with it .

Re: Engine Life

Whoa , you are waiting for my reply , feel like i am in air , above the world , haha

Engine has life time , even if they are maintained well

Almost near 3 to 4L kms engine need an overhaul as lot of work make bore and stroke increase in size and hence low fe and high oil consumption.

Bad engine oil , no proper cooling system , slightest mistake in work etc make life smaller.

80000 to 100000 kms run engine must have no issues , but you need to replace other parts.

case of gypsy , you may need to replace valve - kinda

Check car before you buy.

Tip: slot in 1 and 2nd gear and drive at some speed , the car's face must jerk up and then move (Even if that doesnt work it may be clutch problem , cant conclude its engine problem)

Check for exhaust
White smoke comes means stay away , you need to work some on engine .
again a bad timing adjustment and improper valve makes white smoke.

engines do have mechanical parts whose life decrease on use. parts in engine works in high temperature and pressure. the dirt, carbon to be specific also eats up engine's life.

maruti engines easily lasts arnd 1 lac km without any major overhaul, honda engines are capable of doing 3-5 lac km for sure, i have seen honda city with 310000 km reading in mint condition.

I wonder how many KM the truck engines lasts?

Maruti engine last some 2L kms plus
Baleno 3L kms

Indica/indigo around 2L if maintained well
Almost all sumo near 2.5L kms

yeah honda city 3L and still running fine - i know a ohc
qualis near 4L kms
Skoda octy - diesel 4L kms. - Heard about a car.

Truck engine
leyland truck - almost 4L kms and after that they keep overhauling only that cylinder which need . unlike car where we change the whole bore .

Very indicative figures ilango,

Totally my opinion, but I think that diesels should last longer than the petrol engines. Because diesels run lean/weak ( quality governing ). Correct me pl, if am wrong.

And, there was an article I came across, about a Skoda Octavia cab in Israel, which has done 6L+ km on the odo, and was still running. googling for the story/image, and shall post here.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good thread!

And thanks for those figures Ilango , never knew Honda and Toyota engines were so much long lasting! But again the bottom line is engine life depends on maintenance right?

Good thread!

But again the bottom line is engine life depends on maintenance right?
Yeah sure Dhaya, the maintenance plays most important part in an Engine's life cycle.

Also, other factor to be considered are Quality of Engine make/components & technology used.

This might be out of picture; but My Pulsar which is promptly serviced every 2500kms with an oil change is not the same as it used to be 2 years back.

It has covered 70,500 kms now. Hero Honda/Yamaha engines with same or more KM in odo are better than this. So engine make also matters

That'a an interesting point Gokul , completely agree with you.

So i think we can conclude that our Indian manufacturers quality is not as good as the Japs?

PS: I am not against Indian manufacturers!

We cannot blindly conclude on that point but it is a proven fact that they are much ahead of us.

As far as any Indian company is concerned, I would say we are still in evolving stage.

Consider Tata Motors, we have come a long way since the first Indica in 1999 to Aria in 2010.

Thread Starter #11

ilango[speed thirst];64798 said:
Whoa , you are waiting for my reply , feel like i am in air , above the world , haha

Engine has life time , even if they are maintained well

Almost near 3 to 4L kms engine need an overhaul as lot of work make bore and stroke increase in size and hence low fe and high oil consumption.

Bad engine oil , no proper cooling system , slightest mistake in work etc make life smaller.

80000 to 100000 kms run engine must have no issues , but you need to replace other parts.

case of gypsy , you may need to replace valve - kinda

Check car before you buy.

Tip: slot in 1 and 2nd gear and drive at some speed , the car's face must jerk up and then move (Even if that doesnt work it may be clutch problem , cant conclude its engine problem)

Check for exhaust
White smoke comes means stay away , you need to work some on engine .
again a bad timing adjustment and improper valve makes white smoke.
thanks . So in gypsy its only valve need to be changed .

Also some one told me blue smoke out of diesel car means there is problem with engine is this true ?

That'a an interesting point Gokul , completely agree with you.

So i think we can conclude that our Indian manufacturers quality is not as good as the Japs?

PS: I am not against Indian manufacturers!
agree but you forgot [;)] that safari 260k KM . it hasn't been overhaul till now . still going strong last time i meet him .

though a little OT, mods pls move to right place if required.

many manufacturers recommend engine oil change at specific interval say 10000 km in case of maruti cars or 6000 km for HH bikes. but still service people advice to change it much earlier specifically for HH, the svc suggest oil change every 2000 km ie every service.

i mean why the company would suggest 6000 km and the svc ppl prefer to get it change ait every 2000km for HH bikes like karizma.

is that the moolah thing?

Does HH bikes really have that long service interval? Are you sure about this? I thought engine oil in all bikes here needs to be changed every 2.5k KMS!

For cars i think they are trying to cheat us mostly! Even for my Verna my SA advised me to change oil every 5k KMS for prolonged engine life and less smoke emission! I don know how far this is true , because nowhere in the manual its mentioned like this!

Thread Starter #15

one more question . i have habit of putting car in neutral coming down from flyover in traffic or before stopping at red light . one of my friend was saying that it is not good for engine . is it true ?

Top Bottom