End of The Road For Maruti Suzuki 800: Now Totally Discontinued

We still own our M800,a 1998 model and have no plans of selling it in the near future.Yes the car has now developed some reoccuring niggles and is not so reliable now but we have too many memories and emotions attached to it to let it go.I will try to keep it in atleast running condition.

Maruti Suzuki 800 finally retires from Indian streets !!

Most popular car life comes to an end in India after almost 3 decades. It is a undebatable truth that all of us must have driven this easy beauty at least once in our driving life and most of us might have learned driving on this car. It was a most preferred choice for women and of course it because of this car most of the women started driving the car in the country. I my self tried my hands with the first version in early 90s and bought a new one in 2006 and sold in 2011 and really miss its easy driving. Now read the story of its end

The country witnessed the first version of Maruti Suzuki 800 back in early 80's. Back then, hatchbacks were a term unknown to the local population and the car was an instant hit right from day one. Waiting period turned from days to months, and then nearly an year, interested buyers were reportedly willing to pay twice the amount to lay their hands over this trendy little hatchback.

The car till date was known for its peppy engine, reliability and efficiency. Maintaining this car was like a child's play for its owners. Over time, the car had lost its glamor amidst a new fleet of hatchbacks from the Indian and International car-makers, thus coming to a complete standstill on this fine day. Around sometime ago, the India's largest car-maker had stopped selling this hatchback in 16 cities, and now the car-maker has disclosed its plan to discontinue the car for other places as well. C.V. Raman, Executive Director of engineering at Maruti Suzuki, said, “Now on the 18th of January we have stopped the M-800 production completely. We have to keep all of them (dies and moulds) for the spare parts requirement. We have to continuously meet the customer requirements. That is our duty to make sure that they get all the parts.”
Maruti Suzuki 800 finally retires from Indian streets, Maruti Suzuki Car News | CarTrade.com

Attachments

Maruti 800 was the car that allowed Indian middle class to fulfill a long cherised dream - a reliable, affordable and easy to drive car. M800 is a legend in Indian automobile industry. RIP to the King!! [:cry:]

I feel Maruti did the right thing at last. Although we all admire 800 for what it is, we have to accept that it was good and probably even the best for the 90's and it should have been stopped long back.

As a M800 owner, restorer I am proud of my machine, I love it more than any other car (even if I own a Honda City, still 800 has its throne in my heart). But it was high time Maruti stopped making and selling a car that is almost 25yrs old in design & safety level.

We know we are a mileage obsessed country, but then it doesn't mean MSIL will continue to add accesories, MPFi, new bumper, a few body panels and declare NEW MARUTI 800 for years and years. They added ZERO safety features to M800, for that reason alone, it is good that they stopped the car. Anti-intrusion bars were given in Type 2 and newer models, also collapsible steering column came, but then what is the use of all this, if the front area has nothing to take beating? The M800 should have been given a UPPER CROSS MEMBER like in Indica/similar cars.

In 2013 a car like M800 has no scope to be sold as a new car.

My views

POSITIVES OF M800 = A reliable, pocket friendly, 4seater, mileage oriented, good low end torque, a tru NO-NON SENSE car, still the best used car to buy as first car for a Indian family, STILL my favorite car. I can write pages about why I like it.

A few negative points that this car has from the beginning to till date:
1. The bumpiest ride amongst all small cars - type 2 and 3 are somewhat ok.
2. Weak section behind radiator - NO CHASSY at all, 2 silly plates hold eveyrthing in place!
3. bumper coming out if body line (on sides)
4. Weak A pillars and bare sheet metal for roof (not even single x shaped beam to protect occupant heads)
5. Dummy dynamo - not even 50amps!
6. 90% or more of M800's sold dint have Brake booster fit from factory
7. Shaky front seats - try a santro/matiz and then sit in a stock 800 front seats, you will feel the shaking/flexing of the underseat on rough roads
8. Wooden cardboard door pads! - It remained untouched for 20+years
9. No digital speedometer, no door ajar warning, no rear cabin lamp switch on doors, no Apillar plastic trim, no passenger side mirror (vanity mirror), no boot release.
10. Position of the ORVMs is absolutely a joke, especially left side - barely useful.

No disrespect to anyone/ anyone's opinion or love for M800, just stating the practical reasons to be happy that a unsafe car has been stopped.

Just a thought:

Although we all like it so much, I doubt even a handful wont come forward to buy it as a brand new car in today's scenario. Maruti 800 wont get the same treatment what Beetle got from VW. That's the difference between a Japanese car maker and a German.

Our desires grew, our pockets bacame bigger, newer options came up, but our M800 stayed as it is. Maruti has not changed much since 1980's, but India and Indians have, for sure.

Thread Starter #21
Why Maruti Suzuki has decided to leave its true heritage behind? Marutis are no more people's car today.
I think they could have updated this car and preserved it like Mahindra did with Jeep, VW Beetle and above all is the iconic Porsche 911 and a lot more examples.

Top Bottom