ECR, Poompuhar and Beyond

Thread Starter #1
We had trip to Aranthangi near Pudukottai during last Dec.

Its a trip to atten one of my friend's wedding accompanied by few of my classmates. Date, persons, activities everything expect route was fixed couple of days before the trip. Everybody suggested Chennai - Trichy - Pudukottai - Aranthangi route. But, as we planned the drive in day time, we decided to adopt a different route. Our discussions related to route continued until reaching Pondy. Finally our decisions made the following route to Aranthangi. This I derived after the completion of our trip.

Chennai - Mamallapuram - Pondy - Chithambaram - Nagappattinam - Kattumavadi - Aranthangi

Kattumavadi - Aranthangi (26km) is the only Non ECR road in this route. We started from Chennai by 9am. Friends enjoyed Pondy and Karaikal in their own way. We deviated ECR in two occasions by mistake. One near Sirkazhi and again near Nagore.
Mid of the travel somewhere we suddenly saw a board showing "Poompuhar 8 km". After having a mini voting inside the car visiting Poompuhar decision was made.
Poompuhar is a very important place in history particularly in Silappathikaram era which is one of the five Great Epics of Tamil. A must watch site at Poompuhar is Silappathikara Art Gallery. Other than this Poompuhar is just about one beach, few sculptures and one park. We spent couple of hours there and left by 5pm.

Our earlier plan was reaching the destination in day time itself. Due to frequent stops and Poompuhar visit we are forced to do night drive for few hrs. Even through it is two lane road, ECR having enough width for safe driving. We were comfortable at 70 ~ 80kmph during the night. However this is the average speed for our whole trip too. We could have done more. But I think it is the optimum speed to enjoy the drive in this rout. Finally reached Aranthangi by 11.30pm. Around 450 KMs in 14.5 hrs including all stops and brakes.

Sirkazhi - Karaikal road is not much wider. But traffic is more. Extra attention required.

We returned via Pudukottai - Trichy in the next day.

=> As none of us is not serious about photos I am unable to give detailed photos. Casual photos are following

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
At our favorite relaxing spot in mid of Cudulure – Chidambaram. A small tea shop and tender coconut stall is here. Very peace full place surrounded by huge trees.
Picture3.jpg

2011-12-17 13.09.57.jpg
Picture5.jpg

Top Bottom