East By North-East: My Blue Diamond Did It Fast

Nice picture and a beautiful place, sir what all documents are required to enter Burma? And do they like Nepal accept INR?

Thread Starter #3
When the travel ends, travelogue starts. [:D]
NE RouteMap.jpg NEDriveDetails.jpg stay.jpg FE NE.jpg DSC09994.JPG DSC09995.JPG DSC00229.JPG DSC00315.JPG
Any ID proof. In my case, Indian Customs took my driving licence and kept with them. When I returned to India, they returned it to me after taking my acknowledgement. If you cross the bridge by walk, you are free to go and come back without any documentation.

And do they like Nepal accept INR?
Yes. Both the currencies are freely accepted by the traders on both the sides.

Nice trip. Thanks also for the accommodation details. One question though, Mr. Ravi. Did you drive non-stop from Bhubaneswar to Guahati? How long did it take and which route did you take? In case you traveled via Farakka, was there any traffic disruption due to the ongoing repair work of the barrage?

Thread Starter #6
Did you drive non-stop from Bhubaneswar to Guahati?
Yes. Thanks for the appreciation, rahul4640.
How long did it take and which route did you take?
In 29.25 hours including breaks and power-naps. I took Kharagpur>Bardhaman>Moregram>Bottlebori>Danthola route for both up and return trips.
In case you traveled via Farakka, was there any traffic disruption due to the ongoing repair work of the barrage?
No. While going to Guwahati, we reached Farakka Barrage bridge by 11:30 pm. I drove on the wrong side of the road as guided by the cops. There were lorries parked and queued up for a few km-long. They allowed all sorts of vehicles, HTV, LCV, luggage autos, LMV, two wheelers, and what-not. The queue just started moving towards Malda on the bridge. The cops allowed me to join the line by stopping the lorries. So, absolutely no waiting at the Farakka Barrage. While returning, we reached there by 3:30 am from Malda. There were very few vehicles waiting for crossing. So, cops informed me no driving on the wrong side. But, we waited for half hour to get our turn. I drove on the right side and crossed the Farakka Barrage by 4 am. They have asphalted one half of the carriageway and the remaining half is to be done. The entire bridge is now free of potholes and craters.
Thanks for the appreciation, kukku_k.

Thread Starter #7
If planning a mega drive across India is a simple task, execution of it is a tougher one, involving many stake holders for its successful completion. I had planned for a mega drive to Sach Pass>Killar-Kishtwar Cliffhanger Road>Mughal Road, which is still in cold storage from the last several years due to one reason or the other. So, I planned for a quick trip to Mizoram and Tripura, the two states that we did not visit in the North-East. My 6-month old Nexon XZA+ AMT Diesel - aka Blue Diamond - was ready for the mega drive to the NE. I quickly booked our accommodation at Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Agartala, Shillong and Bhubaneswar before we left Chennai. I did not reserve the hotel room at Aizawl, which we regretted later. My wife packed enough idlies and side dish for dinner and breakfast. We left our Chennai Royapettah home at 6:20 pm on 19 Jan 2019. I selected our departure time to ensure our arrival at Ginger Bhubaneswar at 2 pm, the next day, which was the check-in time specified.

We had our dinner after crossing Sullurupeta, AP. I enjoyed driving on the well-lit 6 lane Guntur-Vijayawada in the night. I thank my Facebook friend Chalapathi Rao N for suggesting Nidadavolu-Dowleswaram bridge route via SH for crossing the Godavari river to reach Rajahmundry, thus saving 32 km and a toll. Google Maps too suggested the same route. But, NaviMaps recommended the roundabout route on NH. I followed the first two recommendations. A lot of road works were in progress between Vizag and Srikakulam, making my driving not an easy and comfortable one.

We reached Reliance pump at Girisola, OD at 11 am, where we had our morning ablution and breakfast. We reached Ginger Bhubaneswar at exactly 2 pm on 20 Jan 2019. After checking in, unpacking and wash, we arrived at our favourite Priya, Jaydev Vihar only to find out that it was closed for cleaning and would reopen at 4 pm. Then, hungry we were, we drove to Jugaad Jn, which was closed due to Sunday. Again, we came back and had an early dinner at Priya. Afterward, we drove to BP COCOO for tankful for Blue Diamond and returned to Ginger for a well-deserving rest.

On 21 Jan 2019, we checked out at 10 am after nice buffet breakfast and continued our drive. We lunched at Shere Punjab, Kolaghat. The next 7.12 Crore INR Question - aka Million Dollar Question - was, how to cross the Ganga river, via Vikramshila Setu or Farakka Barrage? Here, my Facebook friend Sheel Priye, Google Maps and NaviMaps were united and recommended the Farakka Barrage bridge route. I followed their advice and crossed Farakka Barrage at 11:30 pm on 21 Jan 2019. We were allowed to drive on the wrong side and join the queue at the beginning, which started moving just then. The queues for lorries were many km long. Even buses were allowed to use the wrong side carriageway to to join the queue at the beginning. Then, I took 50-km long Botolbori-Dhantola shortcut to join the NH, which was very good, except for the last 350 m that contained craters and mountain-like undulations.

Before crossing the Farakka Barrage, we were stopped at a barricaded check-post about 50 km before Moregram by a team of WB cops at 9:30 pm. I was photographed along with Blue Diamond with clear registration number plate and also with the rear hatch door open, displaying the luggage after asking for where from and where to. After hearing my answers, they were smiling at each other. While I was photographed, another cop cross-checked my answers with my wife. They did not ask for car's documents. Again, we were stopped by WB cops at Alipurdwar check-post near WB-AS border. One cop asked for the vehicle documents, which I submitted. Then, he wanted the car's emission certificate. When I told him that mine was a new car and PUC was not required for the first year, he disagreed. I requested him to search Google. Then, he consulted his boss and allowed me to proceed without any monetary loss. ,

So, here we were in Ginger Guwahati. Our fourth visit, but the maiden one for Blue Diamond. The only agenda was to visit Mizoram house and get ILP. We drove to Mizoram House, GS Road, Guwahati on 23 Jan 2019 in the morning and submitted applications for the inner line permits [ILP] for self and wife with ₹ 240 [₹ 120 x 2] in cash, our photographs and photocopies of our Aadhaar cards. The lady officer there gave information brochure, booklets and maps of Mizoram without my asking for them. We returned there in the afternoon and got ILP. Last year, we got ILP within 10 minutes after submission of documents at Nagaland House, Guwahati.
DSC09953.JPG DSC09955.JPG DSC09957.JPG DSC09958.JPG DSC09959.JPG DSC09961.JPG DSC09970.JPG PCheetah@GingerBhubaneswar.JPG DSC09974.JPG DSC09979.JPG Linea@MoregramBPCOCOO.jpg DSC09982.JPG DSC09984.JPG DSC09992.JPG DifferentCars@SameGingerGuwahati.jpg MZ ILP.jpg

If planning a mega drive across India is a simple task, execution of it is a tougher one, involving many stake holders for its successful completion. I had planned for a mega drive to Sach Pass>Killar-Kishtwar Cliffhanger Road>Mughal Road, which is still in cold storage from the last several years due to one reason or the other. So, I planned for a quick trip to Mizoram and Tripura, the two states that we did not visit in the North-East. My 6-month old Nexon XZA+ AMT Diesel - aka Blue Diamond - was ready for the mega drive to the NE. I quickly booked our accommodation at Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Agartala, Shillong and Bhubaneswar before we left Chennai. I did not reserve the hotel room at Aizawl, which we regretted later. My wife packed enough idlies and side dish for dinner and breakfast. We left our Chennai Royapettah home at 6:20 pm on 19 Jan 2019. I selected our departure time to ensure our arrival at Ginger Bhubaneswar at 2 pm, the next day, which was the check-in time specified.

We had our dinner after crossing Sullurupeta, AP. I enjoyed driving on the well-lit 6 lane Guntur-Vijayawada in the night. I thank my Facebook friend Chalapathi Rao N for suggesting Nidadavolu-Dowleswaram bridge route via SH for crossing the Godavari river to reach Rajahmundry, thus saving 32 km and a toll. Google Maps too suggested the same route. But, NaviMaps recommended the roundabout route on NH. I followed the first two recommendations. A lot of road works were in progress between Vizag and Srikakulam, making my driving not an easy and comfortable one.

We reached Reliance pump at Girisola, OD at 11 am, where we had our morning ablution and breakfast. We reached Ginger Bhubaneswar at exactly 2 pm on 20 Jan 2019. After checking in, unpacking and wash, we arrived at our favourite Priya, Jaydev Vihar only to find out that it was closed for cleaning and would reopen at 4 pm. Then, hungry we were, we drove to Jugaad Jn, which was closed due to Sunday. Again, we came back and had an early dinner at Priya. Afterward, we drove to BP COCOO for tankful for Blue Diamond and returned to Ginger for a well-deserving rest.

On 21 Jan 2019, we checked out at 10 am after nice buffet breakfast and continued our drive. We lunched at Shere Punjab, Kolaghat. The next 7.12 Crore INR Question - aka Million Dollar Question - was, how to cross the Ganga river, via Vikramshila Setu or Farakka Barrage? Here, my Facebook friend Sheel Priye, Google Maps and NaviMaps were united and recommended the Farakka Barrage bridge route. I followed their advice and crossed Farakka Barrage at 11:30 pm on 21 Jan 2019. We were allowed to drive on the wrong side and join the queue at the beginning, which started moving just then. The queues for lorries were many km long. Even buses were allowed to use the wrong side carriageway to to join the queue at the beginning. Then, I took 50-km long Botolbori-Dhantola shortcut to join the NH, which was very good, except for the last 350 m that contained craters and mountain-like undulations.

Before crossing the Farakka Barrage, we were stopped at a barricaded check-post about 50 km before Moregram by a team of WB cops at 9:30 pm. I was photographed along with Blue Diamond with clear registration number plate and also with the rear hatch door open, displaying the luggage after asking for where from and where to. After hearing my answers, they were smiling at each other. While I was photographed, another cop cross-checked my answers with my wife. They did not ask for car's documents. Again, we were stopped by WB cops at Alipurdwar check-post near WB-AS border. One cop asked for the vehicle documents, which I submitted. Then, he wanted the car's emission certificate. When I told him that mine was a new car and PUC was not required for the first year, he disagreed. I requested him to search Google. Then, he consulted his boss and allowed me to proceed without any monetary loss. ,

So, here we were in Ginger Guwahati. Our fourth visit, but the maiden one for Blue Diamond. The only agenda was to visit Mizoram house and get ILP. We drove to Mizoram House, GS Road, Guwahati on 23 Jan 2019 in the morning and submitted applications for the inner line permits [ILP] for self and wife with ₹ 240 [₹ 120 x 2] in cash, our photographs and photocopies of our Aadhaar cards. The lady officer there gave information brochure, booklets and maps of Mizoram without my asking for them. We returned there in the afternoon and got ILP. Last year, we got ILP within 10 minutes after submission of documents at Nagaland House, Guwahati.
View attachment 256496 View attachment 256497 View attachment 256498 View attachment 256499 View attachment 256500 View attachment 256501 View attachment 256502 View attachment 256503 View attachment 256504 View attachment 256505 View attachment 256506 View attachment 256507 View attachment 256508 View attachment 256509 View attachment 256510 View attachment 256511
Hats off to you and madam for this adventures drive to NE, a supportive co passenger she is, especially the night drive's which you so much enjoy.
Your travelogue details, uff I'm a fan, so meticulous, like a well oiled gun no misfire.
Regards
Vinod

[cheers] Excellent trip and nice travelogue with beautiful pictures Ravi Sir. Please give us some driving tips for such a long highway drive in a single turn i.e. from Chennai to Bhubaneswsr and from Bhubaneswar to Guwahati.

Thread Starter #12
Hats off to you and madam for this adventures drive to NE, a supportive co passenger she is, especially the night drive's which you so much enjoy.
Thanks for the compliments, Nanofreak.
Amazing travelogue, Very nicely penned & detailed with beautiful pics
Thanks for the appreciation, SilverEyez.
Please give us some driving tips for such a long highway drive
Take power-naps and rest during during food breaks and refuelling. When started yawning, stop the car at a safe, illuminated place like well-lit toll plaza, hotel, petrol pump and sleep for atleast half hour and continue the drive. Thanks for the nice words, ABandy.
What is your next destination?
There are many templates ready; only the dates are to be filled in, reserve the accommodation and start! Ajanta-Ellora caves, Sach Pass>Killar-Kishtwar Cliffhanger Road>Mughal Road, etc. Thanks for the compliments, Nairrk.

[/QUOTE]There are many templates ready; only the dates are to be filled in, reserve the accommodation and start! Ajanta-Ellora caves, Sach Pass>Killar-Kishtwar Cliffhanger Road>Mughal Road, etc. Thanks for the compliments,[/QUOTE]

Ajanta Ellora is simply Marvellous,must see place.

Thread Starter #14
It's time to look back on our previous drives to NE.
NETripsAtAGlance.jpg
In April 2012, my erstwhile petrol Linea took us to AS and ML and then to Bhutan.
NE2012ITINERARY.jpg
NE2012STAY.jpg
NE2012FE.jpg
Three years later, in April 2015, my erstwhile XUV 500 took us AR from SK.
NE2015ITINERARY.jpg
NE2015STAY.jpg
NE2015FE.jpg
Last year, in January 2018, XUV 500 took us to NL and MN and then to Myanmar.
NE2018ITINERARY.jpg
NE2018STAY.jpg
NE2018FE.jpg
Now, recently, my Nexon took us to MZ and TR and then to Myanmar again.
NE2019ITINERARY.jpg
NE2019STAY.jpg
NE2019FE.jpg

Thread Starter #15
24/25 JAN 2019

We had a nice, filling buffet breakfast at Ginger Guwahati. Idlies were one of the best and super soft. We were served with dosa too. The main advantage of having a filling breakfast was, we can even skip lunch and/or dinner en route in the absence of good eateries, so that we could manage with biscuits, chikkies and nuts.

We left Ginger Guwahati at 8:15 am on 24/01/2019. Blue Diamond had a tankful on the previous day while returning from Mizoram House, GS Road, Guwahati after obtaining the inner line permits [ILP]. During my stay at Ginger Guwahati, I had tried in vain to contact Govt Tourist Lodge, Chaltlang at Aizawl by my/wife's mobile and landline for reserving our accommodation. The lines were out of order, it seemed. I should have booked accommodation at some other hotel. I didn't do that as I thought we could get the room after reaching Aizawl. A big mistake.

I enjoyed the beautiful 4-laned NH from Guwahati to Shillong, but we bypassed Shillong near Umiam [Barapani] Lake. Then, the 4-laned NH turned into 2-laned one. This decent two lane NH continued. On our way, I stopped at many places to call Govt Tourist Lodge, but in vain. I wasted more than half hour for that. We were guided by Google Maps through Android Auto, which began to disconnect frequently for the reasons best known to itself. Then, I switched over to my NaviMaps, which decided to take me via Jowai>Hailakandi>Lala, which totally avoided Silchar. At Lala, NaviMaps first wanted me to take the bypass, which I did. But, suddenly, I found that the road was closed due to works in progress. I took the diversion and went into the village. Then, my date with the worst roads started until we reached Aizawl.

The road turned from bad to worse and from potholes to craters, that too in pitch dark. Loaded HTV and LCV coming zig zag in the opposite direction to avoid these hurdles. Dust came as bonus in dark.

After entering MZ, crossed a check-post, where I submitted ILP. One cop getting out of bed, came and inspected the documents. He wanted to know the duration of my stay. Instead of saying three days, I told him 'upto 30th'. He misunderstood it as '38th'! He started lecturing me that there were no 38 days in a month! I repeated, '30th not 38th'. He decided to continue his lecture. 'No..no..no 38 days in any month'. I did not enjoy this comedy, that too, after driving on the worst road for many km. I simply told him 'three nights including tonight'. 'Oh..then it's ok' said the cop. Then, he signalled his junior, who signed and stamped ILP and returned them to me.

We crossed Kolasib, where we could have stayed in another Govt Tourist Lodge, but we continued towards Aizawl, still 80 km away, another mistake. We reached Aizawl at 10:30 pm, with all the shops and establishments closed. I had set Chaltlang Tourist Lodge in NaviMaps. We were guided on a narrow, steep road and the road became further narrow. Behind me there was a Santro following. I guessed NaviMaps was taking me to nowhere. So, I stopped and enquired with the gentleman in Santro. As I expected, that was not the way to my destination. He took out a paper and drew a map and explained the route. But, that involved going reverse. He smilingly obliged and reversed and helped me reverse too! Another gentleman, who wanted to take out his Royal Enfield Classic was also waiting for the way! I profusely thanked them and reached Govt Tourist Lodge with the gates locked. I parked Blue Diamond near the gate, opened another wicket gate, went inside and gave a shout out. One person came out of his deep slumber and informed that the hotel was full and no rooms were available. He suggested Regency and gave phone number. I came out and called Regency. That was also full.Then, he recommended Florina. So, drove there, where I was told only suites were available, costing ₹ 7,500 plus taxes. Then, he suggested Royal. While searching for Royal after midnight, I bumped into two boys returning from their shift at KFC. Immediately, they started searching for hotels using their phones! When I told them to guide me to Royal and I would manage the rest, so that they could go home, they said, 'nothing doing. We will get a hotel room for you then only we will go!'. By that time, we were almost decided to sleep in the car for that night as we did in Kargil in 2011. They searched many hotels on that road using their phones. I walked with them to some only to get the negative responses. Murphy's Law worked overtime against us, it seemed! Finally, they could get us accommodation at JIT, costing ₹ 4,500 including taxes. We clutched at straws immediately. Dropped them near their homes. They invited us to KFC later. When we crashed on the bed, the time was 1:30 am on 25 Jan 2019.

After a well-earned sleep and breakfast, the first thing I did was to book our room in Regency for one night on 27 Jan 2019. By the time we were ready, it was evening. The Mizoram State Museum was closed. We had time to drive to KV Paradise, which was a memorial built by a husband for his wife, who was killed in an accident. Even that was closed by the time we reached there. But, the view was breathtaking. We clicked some photos and returned to hotel, which had a stunning view from its balcony.
DSC00002.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00018.JPG DSC00020.JPG MID 24012019.jpg DSC00033.JPG IMG_6589.JPG DSC00037.JPG DSC00040.JPG DSC00043.JPG DSC00047.JPG IMG_6598.JPG

Top Bottom